• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Associates degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You just need to read some of the posts on this very thread from people that claim to have superior education.

Your reading comprehension skills are pretty atrocious. Nobody on this thread stated that they had superior education by attending a university. That claim has never been made.

Your argument that the degree would make sense if somehow related to the field of flying, while true, is also completely totally irrelevant. Half the pilots in my squadron had Art History degrees, and they flew just fine. The Legacies do not care what the degree is in, just that you have one. Argue all you want till you're blue in the face that this is stupid and pointless, and while you're correct, it won't change the fact that that's the way it is.

And as far as Yip's example, the kid who worked his way up while completing his degree online, while a fine example, is also the exception and not the rule. In my personal experiences both at the regional level, as well as my subsequent long-haul stint, the rule was always (without exception) the Captain working furiously on his degree on layovers, exhausted, because he had life responsibilities waiting for him back home. Many finally finished, but it took them many many years to do so.

Nobody claimed their knowledge is superior because they have a degree, so you can quit that argument.

Nobody argued that a non-aviation related degree is more valuable than a degree with direct relation to the job, so you can quit making that argument up too.

Nobody made the argument that "well I better go blow $120k at ERAU then!!!"

Nobody made the argument that having the degree has to have any logic behind it. it is what it is, and has been for a long long time. When you get to head up the hiring practices at United, American or Delta, by all means please change it. But until that day, the fact remains that they require a degree, any degree to be considered.

Arguing anything else is pointless.

To be considered for a Legacy carrier, you need a degree. Period. It's so simple even a dumb pilot can get it.

Well, most of the time.

To be considered for a Legacy carrier, you need a degree. Period. It's so simple even a dumb pilot can get it.
Over the years I got hired at three majors in the US.., I know what's required.

Half the pilots in my squadron had Art History degrees, and they flew just fine.

Now that is a pilots qualification right there..., When we say blue over brown we mean cyan over maroon for you there art guys...!

LOL! Thank you for making my afternoon, that was funny!

Spoken like a true gentleman, sir. Hats off to you.

To the OP, as you can see, there are varying opinions to whether you need a degree or not to fly at the Majors. Those stuck at third tier supplemental or overseas jobs will scream up and down an empty corridor all day and night that you don't need a degree to fly an airplane.

And they're right, as nobody was making that argument in the first place.

And as they sulk in the corner watching the world pass them by leaving them at said third-tier jobs, they'll still refuse to acknowledge the fact that a four year degree is not only a "check in the box" it's a REQUIRED "check in the box" to play with the big boys back home.

You posted this question in the Majors section. It's safe to assume you want to fly for a Major.

You do not want to fly for a National.

You don't want to fly for a supplemental cargo carrier.

You don't want to go overseas and deal with that nonsense. It's not 2008 anymore.

You realized that it's 2015, the Majors are making a huge rebound, and you want in on the action. You need a four year degree. ANY degree. Get the degree and join in on the fun.

Or don't, and be miserable like some of the guys that refuse to get it here.

You're halfway there. Two more years and you're golden.

Don't let the window lickers distract you. There's a lot of them.

I believe that I was the first person to answer your question. Your question was "does one get points for a two year junior college degree" or words to that effect. My answer was "no" I`ll stick by that answer. In my own case, I left the Marine Corps with 1385 hours (all single seat fighter time) and two and a half years of college with a crappy gpa. That was 1966. If you could fog a mirror at that time, then you could probably get a job with an airline. There were no regional carriers than, and just a few "non skeds". I got a job with my first choice, Delta Air Lines. Turned down one with Eastern (Thank God!). But that was then, this is now. The majors are looking for pilots with a 4 year degree from an accredited university, a masters is even better, they want to know your gpa and also want to know about every job that you held, all the way back to high school, your driving record and a few other things. There are some on this forum that will tell you that a college degree does not make you a better pilot...this is a true statement,you will also read that there are pilots with the majors without the 4 year degree.. This is also true. This is the exception, not the rule. Your chances will be a hundredfold better with the degree than without it.There are folks on this web site that would argue with a fence post. Ignore them. I wish you the best of luck...get that degree, stay out of trouble and don`t get any driving tickets. Again...get that degree and best of luck from an old guy that`s "been there, done that".

Again...get that degree and best of luck from an old guy that`s "been there, done that".
all true, but the degree is not needed to the last step, there is no need to run up $100K in debt to get a 4-yr degree out of college. You don't need it until you approach the 4,000-6,000 range. As per above the guy who got a Fortune 5 job but did not get his degree until he was 26.

Statistically speaking, waiting until age 26 to complete a degree is not the best move. Completion rates are significantly lower for non-traditional students.

http://nscresearchcenter.org/signaturereport6/#Sig6-Discussion-2

Not if you are disciplined, I have seen too many pilots do it. Especially the path to go when your company has tuition assistance and you get your degree for free. As per example above, he turned down a job offer DAL.

Along the college degree thread from the WSJ, college degrees are having a major downward pressure on the US economy. College grads have so much debt they cannot buy started homes. The lower end of the housing market is still in the recession. Almost 1/2 the college grads do not have skills to get a good paying jobs, over 1/2 the college grads to not have he critcal decision making skills required for a white collar job.

I'm finishing college this semester; 30 years after high school. Although I feel like I'm more focused and disciplined now, I should have done it immediately. I would be light-years further in my career.

PS, find a way to do it debt free, even if it takes a little longer. That makes the whole experience more satisfying.

+as I said, some folks will argue with a fence post. I`ve been retired for quite some time, but still have a good many contacts at Delta (The General ain`t one of them). My buddy runs the company that all of the major pilot applicants send their resume to on line, my son is a check airman, etc. Just spoke to one of his copilots (well, ok..first officers then) on the 717. Granted, he was former military, but was hired with just over 3,000 hours. When all of the guys with 6,000 hours that are worth hiring get hired, then the hour requirement will slip. The 4 year degree will be the last to go.

Latest resources

Back