• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Associates degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You just made a great argument about the ridiculous notion of a degree requirement. Doesn't matter what the degree is on, and it doesn't matter the quality of the school..., as long as you tick the box..! LOL

You just pointed out your continued insistence that this argument has anything to do with "piloting skills" in reference to "a degree", which constitutes a total complete failure on your behalf to understand what the argument is even about.

Hiring is done by HR. They decided that you need a degree to be eligible. It's the simplest concept in the world, yet you're insisting into making the argument into something it's not.

Nobody ever said a degree makes you a better pilot. You can go ahead and keep sticking your head up your but and insist that that is in fact the argument, but it never has been, and never will be.

HR does the hiring these days, and the HR gods have long ago decided that you need a degree. Period. End of story.

Get the degree and get the job. Or don't get the degree, refuse to play the game, don't get the job and remain bitter about it because you hate the player, not the game.

You just pointed out your continued insistence that this argument has anything to do with "piloting skills" in reference to "a degree", which constitutes a total complete failure on your behalf to understand what the argument is even about.

Hiring is done by HR. They decided that you need a degree to be eligible. It's the simplest concept in the world, yet you're insisting into making the argument into something it's not.

Nobody ever said a degree makes you a better pilot. You can go ahead and keep sticking your head up your but and insist that that is in fact the argument, but it never has been, and never will be.

HR does the hiring these days, and the HR gods have long ago decided that you need a degree. Period. End of story.

Get the degree and get the job. Or don't get the degree, refuse to play the game, don't get the job and remain bitter about it because you hate the player, not the game.

Spoken like a true college educated professional....!:laugh:

*sigh*

Your moniker suits you well. Have fun fighting your uphill battle.

I'm not the college educated individual making an argument at a junior high level..., but then again I wasn't expecting anything else from your community college degree..!;)

Spoken like a true gentleman, sir. Hats off to you.

To the OP, as you can see, there are varying opinions to whether you need a degree or not to fly at the Majors. Those stuck at third tier supplemental or overseas jobs will scream up and down an empty corridor all day and night that you don't need a degree to fly an airplane.

And they're right, as nobody was making that argument in the first place.

And as they sulk in the corner watching the world pass them by leaving them at said third-tier jobs, they'll still refuse to acknowledge the fact that a four year degree is not only a "check in the box" it's a REQUIRED "check in the box" to play with the big boys back home.

You posted this question in the Majors section. It's safe to assume you want to fly for a Major.

You do not want to fly for a National.

You don't want to fly for a supplemental cargo carrier.

You don't want to go overseas and deal with that nonsense. It's not 2008 anymore.

You realized that it's 2015, the Majors are making a huge rebound, and you want in on the action. You need a four year degree. ANY degree. Get the degree and join in on the fun.

Or don't, and be miserable like some of the guys that refuse to get it here.

You're halfway there. Two more years and you're golden.

Don't let the window lickers distract you. There's a lot of them.

All that said, put yourself in the position of HR. You are hiring for a position....any position. if you had two people who were otherwise equal, but one had a degree and one did not, who would you hire?
The one who scored highest on my placement test of basic intelligence. It is very predictive of success and I can tell you it has nothing to do with a having a college degree, except if you graduated from a service academy. They all score real high.

Now I agree times have changed. Robert Lovett was WWII Asst Sec of War for Air. He may have saved the US in WWII. He showed we needed quantity, not quality. We will need 100K pilots per year, we will not get that many physically qualified college educated pilots. He said the college was not needed to fly an airplane, so he devised a test to identify those traits and knowledge levels needed to be successful in pilot training. He found that many college educated people could not pass this test, but many high school graduates could. These 19 year old pilots proved their worth all over the globe, flying equipment under conditions that would test almost all of us on this board.

The one who scored highest on my placement test of basic intelligence. It is very predictive of success and I can tell you it has nothing to do with a having a college degree, except if you graduated from a service academy. They all score real high.

Now I agree times have changed. Robert Lovett was WWII Asst Sec of War for Air. He may have saved the US in WWII. He showed we needed quantity, not quality. We will need 100K pilots per year, we will not get that many physically qualified college educated pilots. He said the college was not needed to fly an airplane, so he devised a test to identify those traits and knowledge levels needed to be successful in pilot training. He found that many college educated people could not pass this test, but many high school graduates could. These 19 year old pilots proved their worth all over the globe, flying equipment under conditions that would test almost all of us on this board.

STFU

You talk about exceptions and do a disservice to those looking to get to a major. Your rhetoric is old.

If you want to go to a major, get a 4 year degree, not that hard, that's what they want.

Once again, STFU

Robert Lovett was WWII Asst Sec of War for Air. He may have saved the US in WWII.

Cool story, bro. And I'm sure, should the Nips or the Jerrys ever rear their ugly heads around these parts the Army Air Corps will give em a good 'ol what for and we'll all be Johnny on the spot when we get the telegram from Western Union to join up to beat back the Axis.

Until then, however, United, Delta and American all require a degree to join the party. With very few exceptions.

Btw, you might not have heard, but in regards to a previous post of yours, CAL and NWA no longer exist. Pretty sure the original Eastern and Pan Am you won't find, neither.

Also, I hate to break this news to you, as you apparently just stepped out of a time warp, but Hitler is dead. Also dead? Tojo. Stalin too. (Spoiler alert! He turned out to be a bad guy too.)

Last edited:
United used to require an Associates Degree, don't know if they still do. While the broken record may say you don't need a degree, the fifty guys with comparable experience applying for one job need to be whittled down somehow. Education and commitment are just two ways to do this.

United requires a four year degree. You can apply, but the HR computer will mark the applicant as not qualified and the application will never be seen by a human.
It says 'preferred' on the United website, but no current application will ever get past the computer without a 4 year degree.

And I'd bet it's the same at the rest of the majors.

One can debate whether or not this is a valid screening requirement or reminisce about days past but in today's world you need a 4 year degree to even have a human look at your application. The days of flying for a major without a 4 year degree are gone.

Bottom line: no, an associates degree won't cut it at the majors.

That's great

One problem , you don't do the hiring for any of the majors . For that matter anywhere anyone to stay :)

Your analogy, is like me saying I like to hire the hot blondes at my flight school.
Your ego is really coming out when you are comparing yourself to a Major Airline hiring process . I think there is a word for what you are . Actually it could be 2 words .

Latest resources

Back