• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Asiana 777 crashed on landing at SFO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been wondering the exact same thing. Will be interested to see who was the PF and who initiated the go-around.

Remember, there should have been 3 total pilots watching, including 1 Capt and 2 FOs. 3 sets of eyes.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Saw today where it was an IOE Captain flying with a check-airman in the right seat.

There's something I'm not getting. At the beginning of the audio, the crew calls final 7 miles south(?) and is cleared to land. The mystery go-around call is at about 16 seconds. The call for equipment is at about 24 seconds. At 137 knots, this equates to about .6 miles and .9 miles, respectively. Either I misheard or misunderstand, the crew WAY overestimated the distance to touchdown, or there is missing audio.

Saw today where it was an IOE Captain flying with a check-airman in the right seat.

There's something I'm not getting. At the beginning of the audio, the crew calls final 7 miles south(?) and is cleared to land. The mystery go-around call is at about 16 seconds. The call for equipment is at about 24 seconds. At 137 knots, this equates to about .6 miles and .9 miles, respectively. Either I misheard or misunderstand, the crew WAY overestimated the distance to touchdown, or there is missing audio.

According to the NTSB briefing held earlier today, they were traveling well below 137. And that mystery "go around" call could have been made by the United crew sittting on the taxiway.

So I guess he didn't pass?:D

Latest resources

Back