• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Asiana 777 crashed on landing at SFO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The ILS for both 28L/R have been notamed out with all the construction and realignment of the ILS signals and will not be up until late Aug. So you either have a LOC or a RNAV approach for the 28's
The LOC 28L can be challenging after MDA because of PAPI being inop also. Dont know if they were low throughout the approach but it would be easy to get TOO LOW on that transition to landing?? Just speculation having done those approaches at night with no vertical guidance after MDA?

I feel bad for the crew no matter what the reason for this crash is. People lost their lives under their command even if it is only 3. They will be scrutinized and blamed by everyone before anyone knows what really happened. Then if it is pilot error, who knows what will happen to them. If we have a 777 problem then boeing has its hands full with the 787 and 777. Rip to those killed

The ILS for both 28L/R have been notamed out with all the construction and realignment of the ILS signals and will not be up until late Aug. So you either have a LOC or a RNAV approach for the 28's
The LOC 28L can be challenging after MDA because of PAPI being inop also. Dont know if they were low throughout the approach but it would be easy to get TOO LOW on that transition to landing?? Just speculation having done those approaches at night with no vertical guidance after MDA?

I normally would agree with you but as a professional pilot of a 777 you should be able to shoot a visual approach with nothing but your eyes. We don't know what happened, the background of the crew or if there was wake turbulence or some mechanical problem. Ill wait for the Ntsb to tell us

I normally would agree with you but as a professional pilot of a 777 you should be able to shoot a visual approach with nothing but your eyes. We don't know what happened, the background of the crew or if there was wake turbulence or some mechanical problem. Ill wait for the Ntsb to tell us

Yes just speculation having flown that approach numerous times with the PAPI inop. We will have to wait and see what the NTSB concludes.

Can't help but think of the similarities here with the BA 777 at LHR. Landed short also, but after a longer flight and across the pole I believe. May have been different engines, but what about the fuel system?
Sad to think of the loss of life and injuries.
Two incidents with very similar outcomes would suggest that a very urgent and expedited investigation of the 777 is of utmost importance. Since the data should be readily available, hopefully this can be accomplished fairly quickly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I read somewhere on another board that the Speedbird had Rolls-Royce engines and Asiana has P & W, and the system component responsible for the LHR crash was Rolls-Royce specific. Although I'm sure that'll be one thing looked at in detail.

After watching, I have to say I'm done with CNN. If they report information that I am familiar with so bad, what type of info am I getting from the stuff I don't know. It's almost like they will break a story and just make up something to get people hooked

After watching, I have to say I'm done with CNN. If they report information that I am familiar with so bad, what type of info am I getting from the stuff I don't know. It's almost like they will break a story and just make up something to get people hooked

It isn't almost; that is exactly what they do. They break a story based on one sentence from the AP wire, then wing it for hours filling airspace with ramblings, speculation, and opinions. This typically goes on for hours and when they do get a nugget of fact they misreport it half the time. 24 hour cable news networks have pretty much destroyed broadcast journalism.

Just to clarify, I flew in there Friday evening and the PAPI was working on 28L. I saw no notam that said the PAPI was OTS for Saturday. I'm confident that it was up and working.

Latest resources

Back