ASE arrival slots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

56xdriver

I am just wondering how if anybody had any luck getting into either ASE, RIL, or EGE today. I tried calling yesterday at 23Z, the other pilot with me tried the STMP website, and I had Global try also. All of that and every reservation was gone in 30 seconds. Another of our planes had Universal trying to hook them up, and guess what, no slot. So I am I the only one here, or has any one else been srewed?

When GA was allowed into DCA (back when Orville started flying), we would get any reservation we could, just to get in the system. Once in the system, we would change to a time closer to our arrival. It seems once you are in the system, it "finds" more slots. Good luck.

Having flown out of ASE for 4 years with ABO's charter operation, the slot system has a major pain. I would have 2,3 and some times 4 trips into ASE booked and try finding that many slots.

It has been two years since I have flown into ASE but here are some troubles that I had and some tips around the slot system.

Troubles:

1. Flexjet, Netjets, Flight Options have dispatch try to get as many slots as they could for their company for booked pax and pop up pax trips. There were times that no A/C were in bound because the slots was taken with on booked pax. ACT was going to try to limit this practice but I left before I heard a solution.

2. ASE's ramp can handle just so many A/C. The rampers up there are the very best in parking A/C in close quarters, but many guys don't follow their directions and park with "normal" separation and waiste a lot of ramp space. When they run out of ramp they shut down the arrivals with or with out a slot.

3. Follow the towers directions to the letter. I know alot of the tower controllers and they work there year round. Most pilots only fly into ASE a few times a year. With opposite direction traffic departing 33 and landing 15, the contollers expect pilots to do things as told. DO NOT start making things up because you think you know better. Be carefull and make sure you understand their directions, then follow them.

Tips:

1. Start trying to get a slot as soon as the system will allow. You can make up to two reservations at a time. So if you have two trips into ASE have your stuff together.

2. If you can not get a slot and your pax really want to get to ASE have them out at the plane with the condition that they may not get to go today. Then keep calling the number to see if there are any slots that open up. The most professional pilots see they can not make their slot time and cancel their slot.

3. Have your pax in the A/C and ready to go. This is hard for some people to get their butts in gear and get ready, but you have a 15 min window to hit. (It may be less now.) If you will miss your window then ACT can and will have you call for another slot time which maybe hours ahead in the future.

4. Take a lilltle more gas than think will need. There have been times when I have made my slot to get holding instructions and a EFC 45mins to an hour. Calling crittical fuel just to get into ASE a little faster will get you a visit from the FAA.

That is all that I can think of right now. Have a safe trip and say Hi to the girls (and guys) at the desk for me. And be nice to the rampers they have a very hard job this time of year.

Sorry to hear you’re going in there today, I hear the slots have been a real problem today, 12/26. I'm sure we can thank the fractionals for that (no offense, if I had the resources I’d do the exact same thing).

Yes, I was able to get a slot for a different ski country airport; no I'm not headed into ASE (thank god).

If you’re familiar with the area and comfortable doing it, you might try filing into GJC or my preference GUC getting under the overcast, canceling IFR and continuing VFR to ASE. Looks like the visibility is pretty good beneath the overcast today (10sm). Doing this significantly increases your CFIT chances, BUT if you can cancel over Blue Mesa Reservoir, fly up the valley to Crested Butte, come over the Elk mountains, over Snowmass (be prepared to do 360's over Snowmass while ASE app. gets some departures out of the way), and finally into ASE without a slot.

Good luck.

now there's a man who will do anything to get the boss into Aspen!
cancel over GUC and VFR your way up the valley.......
awesome.

re: Cancelling and continuing VFR....

We took PAX to Hayden today, and I heard someone cancel IFR, to continue VFR to EGE....

Controller's response was "I dont think they are accepting VFR's...." due to volume.... Not sure they are really allowed to restrict VFR under the STMP program, but that's what the man said...

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full!

Gulfstream 200 said:
now there's a man who will do anything to get the boss into Aspen!
cancel over GUC and VFR your way up the valley.......
awesome.
I’d say that is rather presumptuous. Thinking that being IFR for the 40 miles between GUC to ASE is any safer than being VFR.

I used to do this in the summers quite a bit (different job), when there was a cell over DBL, and those "safe" IFR flyers would go right threw it, while "awesome" VFR guy comes in from the south and enters a nice left downwind in the clear sky, with smooth air. Winter is obviously a different story, but if the opprotunity presented itself (i.e good weather and long delays on the approach due to IFR congestion)?

For the record I would not do this unless 1, I could see the Roaring Fork River by the time I cancelled IFR and 2, nobody in my company owns a house or goes to Aspen with any regularity (we’re a little more down to Earth than that). My ski country flying was a few years back.

You know G200, you really should come up to ASE Jan. 16-26, you might find something to your liking! And don't worry I promise you I won't be there!:D

Controller's response was "I dont think they are accepting VFR's...." due to volume.... Not sure they are really allowed to restrict VFR under the STMP program, but that's what the man said...

Wow, from volume? The full approach into EGE from over RLG is over 22 miles long and takes about 6 minutes, equaling an arrival rate of about 8 per hour, I'm sure tower would have been able to slip a VFR arrival into his airspace while waiting 6 minutes for the next arrival. I think the controller might have been thinking that the aircraft was canceling IFR, proceeding VFR, then asking for a pop up IFR approach over RLG on 128.65. In which case I'm sure he is correct in saying "they're not accepting VFR arrivals", but I can't imagine the EGE tower being so busy that they're not accepting VFR arrivals. And please don't take this personally, I'm sure you heard it; I'm thinking more on the lines of what right does this approach controller have to restrict a VFR landing in Class D airspace? Remember even controllers make an occasional mistake. I hope you enjoy yourself in Steamboat, try to stay out of trouble!

EGE

On 26 Dec I heard a GV call and cancel IFR at DBL and go into EGE VFR (Without a slot). Worked out good for him and made a lot of sense to me. The weather was very high ceilings and VFR into EGE was definately safe. I think he did have to hold temporarily over DBL but hey what ever works works.

One to put away in the memory banks.

Oh I have been to ASE and GUC plenty of times....beautiful country (I prefer the fishing around GUC all summer) but you can KEEP it for flying in and out (ASE at least!) Personally I think ASE is full of the same A$$HOLES who ruin the Hamptons in the summer....but thats just me.

Sounds like you know the area well, good for you.

If I cancelled IFR and went VFR - I would get fired. Sometimes it seems absurd, but it will always keep me alive. Its just not that important for me to get there.

Guess Im a WIMP!!!

STMP

The internet reservation site is better than calling the 800 number and screwing with the touch tone system. The FAA needs a better 800 phone reservation system in my opinion.

I've been in and out of all of the slot airports in the last two months a number of times and have been lucky on some slot reservations the first time and not so lucky on others.

You have up to 72 hours in advance of your arrival time to reserve a slot, and can get stuck with a 15 minute window, which can be a pain if you have to hold, then decide that it is time to divert for fuel. You log on to the STMP website at your diversion airport and the next thing you know the next reservation slot available is several hours later. What fun that can be.

The mountain airports can be a crapshoot weatherwise this time of year. Play it safe and notify your passengers in advance of a possible diversion. Grand Junction, Twin Falls or Idaho Falls may be the options for ASE, EGE, RIL, or SUN or JAC if the traffic stacks up holding as the weather goes down, the runway Mu goes to H%$LL and you have to divert.

Happy and safe winter flying,

CC

Latest resources

Back