• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Happenings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Considering the operational problems ASA has now, I can't imagine how the airline could function at twice the size. Take all rumors with a grain of salt.

barb,

I understand your cynicism. Obviously with that kind of growth you are looking at a new base somewhere. Also, there would have to be some kind of significant operational system improvement in crew scheduling/flight control. The addition of ACARS will greatly enhance flight control/ops performance but the problems with crew scheduling are beyond my comprehension.

The turboprop replacement is not a rumor. The decision will be finalized by the end of the year if not sooner.

Needless to say it will be a very interesting 2002 !!!

Martin

I'm not a mathematician, but 36 months at three planes a month(our current rate of delivery, notwithstanding the brief strike in Montreal) is 108 airplanes. Our current fleet depending on who's numbers you are looking at is 125 airplanes. Subtract a few Brasilias along the way and that looks pretty close to doubling in size to me.
Fascinating info about Eagle, but how does that pertain to potential growth at another carrier?

MTP2AP,

Like I said, hard to believe that ASA will not retire or replace any E120s with RJs. I also inferred (perhaps erroneously) that 1500 pilots meant about 150 aircraft, an average staffing of 10 pilots per AC. But whatever, let's not split hairs.

As for your question about how Eagle's size pertains to the current discussion of ASA growth, I will elaborate for you.

Eagle is (excluding the TWE carriers feeding old TWA routes) the only feeder to AA, with many pilot bases throughout the US. ASA is one of a number of feeders to Delta, with only 2 bases currently. If ASA were to grow as rumored, that would mean that ASA alone (not including the other Delta Connection carriers), would be larger than ALL of the feed to AA in AA's entire system, and doing it out of 2 bases (unless new bases are scheduled to be opened?). This, although possible, doesn't quite make sense. Unless Delta really does want to replace mainline flying permanently with RJs.

I mentioned Eagle as a yardstick, so to speak, to put things in perspective. If ASA really does grow as stated, that would be a real eye-opener and head-scratcher.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back