• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Army of one!! YEAH!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And about the injuction at American, correct me if I am wrong, but all of their write ups were legal. The courts said it was an illegal work action because the amount of write ups increased dramatacly, but they could not find one write up that should have not been a write up.

I brought up American because, although I can agree with the sentiment, I don't think it is wise to post writings like this. It can't do any good, but it could definitely be used to persuade a judge that there was collusion, or a deliberate attempt to create a slowdown with malicious intent, not safety as the impetus. And that can damage one's attempts to collectively bargain.

People!! I guess I should have made my self clear. This post did not come from me. I came across it on another board. I thought you people would want to read it. I do not fly for CAL. I fly for a more darker and evil force (AMR) LOL!! I do like and agree with the letter!!

Tarp wrote:
"To the fed-up-pilot, I understand. I can't join you because then I truly do sell-out my soul. But I am hoping for a day when our ethics are restored from top to bottom. When I can trust what a man says and not have to "spin" anything about the words. A day when honesty counts for more than todays value of money. A day when you can pretty much tell a good person from a bad one. "

This is a little off of the subject, but I belive relivant.

OK, I understand that it was not FEDUP that wrote the original article, but it was written. I believe that the above statement sums up most of the problems in the industry. Really only one entity is responsible for showing how dishonest all of us pilots can be. Sure mangement does things too, but if ALPA cant be honest and professional, how can the management teams even think their pilots would be. I know that this is not an ALPA thread, but if ALPA would just start leading by example, stop allowing only some MEC's to negotiate with management while threatening to put other MEC's into receivership for the same, manipulating contracts to achieve one outcome (best for the big 4 or 5), then ALPA would not look as dishonest as they really are.

Yes deregulation caused many of the problems that we are facing now with the advent of low cost carriers. The mainline guys have for some reason ignored this or refuse to acknowlege the fact that they are here, and continue to try to stop the expansion of RJ's and blame the regional guys for taking the low cost jobs ("whores of the industry"). Why is it so hard for them to figure out that the real culprit in the economics side is the low cost competition (SW, Atrans, JB, Valujet, etc.) that the big 5 have to compete with. Why hasent ALPA gone after these carriers. Why dosn't ALPA acknowlege the fact that they exist? Why does ALPA still continue to try to manipulate and mold the industry (that they control) for the status quo when everything is changing arround them. Now they (ALPA) have many pilots very unhappy with their manipulative tacticts, so they are facing a war from both sides, management and it's own pilots.

Professionalism must start at the very top, and work it's way down. I for one will allways give 110%, but that is just the way I am. If we (the bottom pond scum) also try to lead by example, eventually the links will become one and respected by all. Management will see us in a different light, hopefully a professional light and not a dishonest light. This will take a while due to the last 20 or so years of our unions tacticts, but we would eventually regain the respect our industry deserves. Sorry for changing the original intent of the thread, but Tarps post brought out some very interseting points.

Now, what's wrong with flying the contract? I mean literally... you do what's in your contract, and NOTHING more.

If you are continuously sh*tted on, and you are in negotiations, WOE definitely works... look at UAL in 2000.

Ya! And look at them now!

Look at EVERY major airline right now after 9/11.

Back after they got their contract, EVERYONE wanted to be at UAL.

Not a valid point Tim.

I push, push, push, to give my very best to the airline and the customer and the crews that work with me. Recently with the layoffs I have had to fly with management and other line pilot's as FO. I was amazed how they just sit back and let things happen and don't seem to care, even management. Very frustrating situation, I do everything and more to the list that is referred to in the beginnning of this thread. These captain's get paid the exact same amount of money that I do. After mulling on the subject this weekend I came across this thread. If I have been given the God given abilities to do "all of the above" and do it safetly then I have a moral responsibility to do my best and carry-on. I also have the moral responsibility to assume that my fellow captains are also trying their best and if they come up operationally short then hopefully I make up for the windfall. So I say I will do my best and I come home exhausted but that is the only satifaction that I get from my work. Maybe my doing my best may cost me my job someday but there is more to life then a job, I will throw my badge on the chief pilot's desk and walk away with my head high, I gave it a 110% and that is all that matters in the end.

Last edited:
A lot of you are missing the point. It is not about the money, it is about a company that violates contract on a regular basis, cuts the pilot group to the bone and then junior mans the pilots to cover their over optimistic schedule,says that we are working together and then turns down every proposal to mitigate furloughs, recalls flight attendants and then a month later gives them a furlough notice without warning. It is this type of management that we are talking about. I have said it before, do not critisize until you have worked for four years with a contract that is continually broken. It is still happening now and it wears you down. We continue to be a professional pilot group, but does not mean that we have to be a happy pilot group. We hope things will change as we approach a new contract but until then we have a justification to be upset.

Latest resources

Back