• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are you a cocky pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You read me way wrong. I don't care about anything being my way, I only care about doing the best job possible for the 80 people who are trusting me to keep them safe. (You know, the "it's not who's right, it's what's right" thing). And I've explained how I try to do that as best I can. I'm sure everyone does things a little differently, good for them, as long as they're primarily concerned with safe over fun (although the two are not mutually exclusive).

You are right, I was b!tching about that 1%. I'm sure it's not the first time you've heard a pilot b!tch about something.:)

WSurf, you are talking about captains with poor CRM skills, and this has absolutely nothing to do with whether they claim they are standard or not. Sure there are lots of hypocrites who say standard and do the opposite. There are plenty of micromanagers who don't care what the FO can contribute, and are basically d!ckheads. Once again, this has absolutely nothing to do with standard or not. Why do you only associate a lack of standards with good CRM and people skills?

The data from studies of errors is conclusive. The most standardized crews, who communicate the most with each other (another element separate from whether you are standard or not), make the fewest errors. The least standardized crews, who communicate the least with each other (so no one knows what to expect or what the other guy is trying to do), consistently make the greatest number of errors.

So I just don't get how you guys associate standard with being a jerk--the two have nothing to do with one another. Bringing the thread back to the original topic, I believe it's only those who are overly cocky who take a request to fly standard as an offensive and onerous burden, and they view such a captain as an automatic a-hole. Surely you guys can differentiate between standard and a-hole--there is a huge difference.

You sound like a pain in the ass to fly with, thanks God I'll never have to be in your right seat!

You sound like a pain in the ass to fly with, thanks God I'll never have to be in your right seat!

Just because I simply ask for "standard"? Who is the one with issues here? My original assessment still stands, that some people are too immature for this job.

Take it up with the "1 or 2 percent" of the guys you have a problem with instead of looking for a flightinfo validation . I believe that would be the mature thing to do.

I've noticed and commented on that here before. I got a lot of flack for it too.
I should have listened to you and quit while I was behind. This thread is rapidly deteriorating into a bunch of name-calling for no definable reason, and I believe it will only get worse from here. So I'm out.

You read me way wrong. I don't care about anything being my way, I only care about doing the best job possible for the 80 people who are trusting me to keep them safe. (You know, the "it's not who's right, it's what's right" thing). And I've explained how I try to do that as best I can. I'm sure everyone does things a little differently, good for them, as long as they're primarily concerned with safe over fun (although the two are not mutually exclusive).

You are right, I was b!tching about that 1%. I'm sure it's not the first time you've heard a pilot b!tch about something.:)

WSurf, you are talking about captains with poor CRM skills, and this has absolutely nothing to do with whether they claim they are standard or not. Sure there are lots of hypocrites who say standard and do the opposite. There are plenty of micromanagers who don't care what the FO can contribute, and are basically d!ckheads. Once again, this has absolutely nothing to do with standard or not. Why do you only associate a lack of standards with good CRM and people skills?

The data from studies of errors is conclusive. The most standardized crews, who communicate the most with each other (another element separate from whether you are standard or not), make the fewest errors. The least standardized crews, who communicate the least with each other (so no one knows what to expect or what the other guy is trying to do), consistently make the greatest number of errors.

So I just don't get how you guys associate standard with being a jerk--the two have nothing to do with one another. Bringing the thread back to the original topic, I believe it's only those who are overly cocky who take a request to fly standard as an offensive and onerous burden, and they view such a captain as an automatic a-hole. Surely you guys can differentiate between standard and a-hole--there is a huge difference.

You are correct

There are extreme pilots at both ends of the spectrum. I always hate flying with those that micro-manage every little detail of the flight. To me though, the most dangerous guys are the ones that are just so "laid back" for whatever reason that they aren't standard at all. I think the reason is that they're trying to look cool. Maybe some of them really are lazy and don't care, but I just have a hard time believing that it is the majority. Being standardized is not the same as being a jerk or being a "tool". There are plenty of jerks and tools that aren't standardized.

By the book? For the most part, or at least I think so. I do what needs to be done. If I have an issue, i consult the book to keep my a$$ from getting in trouble. The crews I fly with are very professional, and we actually have a great time.

If you fly and do things totally by the book..... AKA like American Airlines pilots did it for awhile... Flights would be late and Cx'ed at an alarming rate. We do what we have to do.

If you fly and do things totally by the book..... AKA like American Airlines pilots did it for awhile... Flights would be late and Cx'ed at an alarming rate. We do what we have to do.

Agreed.

My company schedules 40 minute swaps..... It's hard enough to do a regular turn of 40 minutes. But to swap aircraft???? I never rush my crew.... I like to work at my own same pace. And if it's late its late....... Never get rushed! The only thing I got out of my $1300 dollar a year ALPA Mag is that the rushing stops when the main door closes. But I think its even before that. We have to Get off plane, walk sometimes to the other end of Gates, Get bags on, Get settled in, check Logbook, MEL's, Go through release... Wx, Fuel, Alternates, Notams, etc and a few other items also. I like working at my how pace and never let myself get rush. I remember flying with guys that would rush me to get out on time! Omg they were the worse (Unless its the go home leg! :)

Latest resources

Back