Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CherryBomb

Former freight trash
Ive heard alot of different ways to brief an approach. Im going to an interview and Im sure they'll have me brief an approach.

I was wondering if you guys that have alot of experience in a crew environment could give me an idea of how you guys brief a typical approach.

Most of my time is single pilot freight, so Im kinda clueless.

Thanks in advance

Assuming it's a Jepp plate, start with the airport name and chart number and date, and verify that the other guy agrees. Then just go across the briefing strip. I always also include where the highest obstacle is, and what kind of lights we expect to see. Also where you will try to turn off and what direction.

"I've got the ILS 27L in ATL, dated 11/5/06...do you agree?"
"yes"
"loc freq is 108.5, inbound course is 272. Glideslope intercept is at 3500 feet just outside DEPOT, unless ATC gives us something different, down to 200 feet on the radar alt, 1220 on the baro. 1 minute 56 seconds from the marker to the MAP. Miss is straight climb to 1500, then a climbing left turn to 3500 outbound on the ATL 180 radial to SCARR and hold, teardrop entry. Will be looking for ALSFII lights, turnoff at the second high speed to the right, and hold short of the inboard. Highest obstacle is to the north, probably a downtown building. Any questions?"

That's from memory, and the old 27L app, but something similar to that...

Overall a pretty good example of a brief atr, but I'd leave out the part about 200 feet radio altitude on a Category 1 approach. That is incorrect use of radio altitude and shows a misunderstanding of Category 1 minimums. In your example 1220' on the baro would be 200' above Touchdown Zone Elevation.

TP

typhoonpilot said:
Overall a pretty good example of a brief atr, but I'd leave out the part about 200 feet radio altitude on a Category 1 approach. That is incorrect use of radio altitude and shows a misunderstanding of Category 1 minimums. In your example 1220' on the baro would be 200' above Touchdown Zone Elevation.
That one could get you into real trouble at certain airports.

How about... "This airplane, that runway. Any questions?" :D

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
How about... "This airplane, that runway. Any questions?" :D

'Sled

Unfortunately, that tends to be my brief too.

Man! I wish I'd gone to Riddle... ;) TC

If they also give you the airport diagram (10-9), I like to review how long the runway is and how much is available from the Glideslope or Threshold. And then include which exit you plan to turn off on.

" Runway ## is 6700 feet long, but 5900 feet available from the Glideslope. We will turn left on "G" or maybe "H"."

and make note of the airport elevation...

Flying into ZYX airport, "the field elevation is 3600 feet, pattern altitude is 5100 feet."

I was taught the AMORTS technique:

A: approach- confirm you have the right approach plate and that the effective date is current.
M: go over minimums (minimums to the beacon, procedure turn min if applicable, mins to FAF, and mins for final).
O: overshoot procedure/ review missed app. procedure.
R: go over radio freqs and tune/ident them.
T: timing from FAF to MAP.
S: special instructions for approach.

All real good info especially the parts about runway available and planned route after exiting. Typhoon, thanks for pointing that out, I've been using "xxxx msl or 200 on the radar altimeter" so I definately learned something today.
Anyway, in the interview, Once you confirm the proper airport and approach you can also use the "briefing strip format" that Jepp went to awhile back. It might not be the "exact" format that XYZ airlines uses but they can teach you that kinda stuff during your CPTs.

Best of luck to you!!!!

p.s. be sure to practice a few briefings prior to the big day

Latest resources

Back