• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Approach Brief

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank a bunch for the info guys!!!! Yeah Im no Riddle grad, just gonna have to settle on the school of hard knocks...

Like I said, thanks again!!! I owe you guys a beer...

suggestion

Make the brief, brief, the longer you read, the less your crew member will pay attention, I heard that SAS is now changing their strategy of the long drawn out brief.

I interviewed recently and the interviewer said he liked how brief my briefing was. Only the important (bold) stuff!

Say Again Over said:
Make the brief, brief, the longer you read, the less your crew member will pay attention, I heard that SAS is now changing their strategy of the long drawn out brief.
Really...only people doing contact approaches need to know if the highest obstacle is building or smokestack.

threegreen said:
I interviewed recently and the interviewer said he liked how brief my briefing was. Only the important (bold) stuff!

You sure he wasnt saying he liked how brief your brief's are ???

:)

At my airline we use the acronymn C. T. W. O.

Ex.

C - Chart: "ILS-DME runway 14 chart 11-7 dated 07 July 05. DME/altitude check 1600 at KANSI (FAF). minimums of 230FT MSL set on the right/left with a touchdown zone elevation of 654FT and a downsloping runway. Missed approach (initial actions only) climb to 800ft then climbing left turn to 270 hdg up to 2000ft. ILS freq. is 117.4 with an inbound course of 141."

T - Terrign "Higest sector terrign is 7700FT to the northwest and highest relevent is 5500 for the missed approach.

W - Weather "We should have visual of the runway at 1200ft in broken conditions. I expect patchy snow on the runway and taxiways and anti-ice will be needed for the entire approach"

O - Operational effects "I will use full thrust reverse for the patchy snow."

I always brief threats such as, "I have not been to this airfield before and we are both off our clock."

Anything to add or questions?

Last edited:
Thanks again guys for all the help!!

With your guidance my approach brief in the interview went well and I was offered the job.

THANKS!!!

I go along with making it brief. There is no need for timing on precision approach because the MAP is not tied to timing. Converting to LOC only after commencing an ILS is a receipt for problems. You only need to brief the initial MAP heading and altitude, because most of the time unless it is an airport you go to 7 times a week you are not going remember the entire MAP. The NFP will assist in the remainder of the MAP if you must execute a full-published MAP. Of course there are unique things at some airports that must be briefed beyond the standard format. Like ILS PRM.

Also, if the vis is going to be near mins, I brief that if the approach lights (SFL') are insight the we will descend to xxx (100 above TDZE).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back