• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AOPA Magazine

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chip Wright does overdo it sometimes in reminding everyone that he's at an airline.

However, the reigning champ of pompous, self-aggrandizing chest beating is Les Abend over at Flying. I bet he's a real joy to fly with! What a tool.

FlyingFisherman said:
I also found a bit he did in Flying interesting which was basically a glimpse into flying an RJ. I've never been much for an airline guy but I've been to two interviews, had two offers and am still driving a Cirrus, Mooney and Skyhawk. It wasn't part of the dream, but it sure was interesting to have a glimpse into what many of you do here day after day.

Kind of curious why you've been to two interviews and had two offers but still drive a Cirrus, Mooney and Skyhawk.

Why would you interview and not take the job, not once but twice. Unless you still want to fly smaller planes. What are you waiting for, the 5th offer?

I'm the captain of my car. When I drive my Toyota Matrix on the 101 I'm the Driver In Command or DIC. Or maybe it's just cause people call me a dick, hmmmm.......

The first interview was with Pinnacle. The people there seemed nice enough and the folks who I was exposed to were great. Life wouldn't make things work out commuting to Detroit (good friend is doing that now). <Edit> Couldn't get a good answer on commuting from Pinnacle in the interview, and was asked by said buddy to make sure I brought it up.

The second was with Mesaba. The day before the interview I learned about the NWA Mechanic strike which was to start that weekend. Mesaba flys NW Airlink, trouble for mother = trouble for baby (not a dig on the Mesaba guys, I was impressed very much with everybody there and in a world of certainty and better circumstances would like to work there)

<edit> Mesaba had very reasonable and agreeable commuting rules and that turned the tide. Unfortunately NW troubles would undoubtedly filter on down and being at the bottom of a shaky seniority list is nowhere to be with solid employment.

The Mesaba was more of a call you one day to offer a CRJ, call you the next week saying please don't come to class.

I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I don't know anything about airlines other than what I'd seen at these interviews and hear from friends who've moved on. When you asked me what I wanted to do as a kid...the answer wasn't "airline pilot" and still isn't. It just wasn't in my heart to do that type of flying. Besides...flying a Mooney Missile, 2005 Cirrus and teaching the same owners to fly...the base pay is higher than all regionals. Which means...I buy the beer :beer:

Last edited:
I'll take a few rounds of Pilsner Urquell then!:)

I'm still looking forward to accepting my first offer as a first officer......

There are plenty of good flying jobs outside of the 121 industry. If I could convice the owner to make me salary, I'd still be driving around an '82 Saratoga for a major midwestern car dealer. Goodness knows I'd never be able to beat the QOL flying an RJ...

Neither Chip or Les' writing bothers me. It seems alot of people take don't like Abend's writing, but I appreciate his perspective. I met him at Oshkosh two years ago and he was super friendly, but the gangbanger-like gold chain he was wearing with his top three shirt buttons open struck me as kind of silly...

Latest resources

Back