Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATRCAPT

Livin' the...dream?
What's with Chip Wright in the AOPA Pilot magazine? Every time he writes an article he has to refer to himself as "an airline captain". Dude, you fly an RJ to Cincinnati, not a 747 to London! (No offense meant to any and all RJ drivers.) Ease up on the "airline captain" stuff, no body is impressed by it! You don't cruise Wal Mart in full uniform looking for chicks do ya?

What's the point of putting all the work in if you can't take pride in it without being ridiculed? Since when is flying a 74 the official apex of piloting? I fly a 172 and I'm totally sweet.

I might be going out on a limb...but doesn't being a captain at an airline makes you an airline captain?

I like to read some of his entries...a personal favorite of mine is a mission I complete regularly. Liberating blue crabs from my former Maryland home and bringing them to Ohio where I have transplanted myself.

I also found a bit he did in Flying interesting which was basically a glimpse into flying an RJ. I've never been much for an airline guy but I've been to two interviews, had two offers and am still driving a Cirrus, Mooney and Skyhawk. It wasn't part of the dream, but it sure was interesting to have a glimpse into what many of you do here day after day.

Also for what it's worth, most of the articles and stories in magazines like that must be kept impartial and at the end you might see "Chip Wright" or "Joe Schmoe" is a an Airline Captain at a regional airline flying out of chicago.

In his case...Hebron, KY and CVG are pretty obvious as far as who he's driving a CRJ for.

FlyingFisherman said:
I might be going out on a limb...but doesn't being a captain at an airline makes you an airline captain?

The last time I checked- YES it does.;)

I'd hate to see what this guy considers an airline FO to be!!!:erm: OUCH!!!

FlyingFisherman said:
I It wasn't part of the dream, but it sure was interesting to have a glimpse into what many of you do here day after day.

Part of the dream?? I think you meant nightmare!!!:laugh: :beer:

Gutenberg said:
What's the point of putting all the work in if you can't take pride in it without being ridiculed? Since when is flying a 74 the official apex of piloting? I fly a 172 and I'm totally sweet.

I agree. Taking pride in what you've acomplished is one thing, but droning on and on about it is something else. Did I mention I'm an airline captain? By the way, you know I'm an airline captain. You know, I make my living as an airline captain.....

As for the 747 remark, it was just an example. Most of us who have been slugging it out in the regionals wouldn't refer to ourselves as "airline captains" on a bet. It's kind of like wearing a big "aviators" watch or a belt buckle that says "FAA Lisenced Pilot".

Thaty's what I was getting at.

FlyingFisherman said:

I like to read some of his entries...a personal favorite of mine is a mission I complete regularly. Liberating blue crabs from my former Maryland home and bringing them to Ohio where I have transplanted myself.

I also found a bit he did in Flying interesting which was basically a glimpse into flying an RJ. I've never been much for an airline guy but I've been to two interviews, had two offers and am still driving a Cirrus, Mooney and Skyhawk. It wasn't part of the dream, but it sure was interesting to have a glimpse into what many of you do here day after day.

Also for what it's worth, most of the articles and stories in magazines like that must be kept impartial and at the end you might see "Chip Wright" or "Joe Schmoe" is a an Airline Captain at a regional airline flying out of chicago.

In his case...Hebron, KY and CVG are pretty obvious as far as who he's driving a CRJ for.

I couldn't quite understand some of your response, but please reference my response above. Also, we're all well aware of who he flies for.

say again said:
Part of the dream?? I think you meant nightmare!!!:laugh: :beer:

I hear ya! It's pretty bleak out there right now, but it still beats having a real job!

ATRCAPT said:
I agree. Taking pride in what you've acomplished is one thing, but droning on and on about it is something else. Did I mention I'm an airline captain? By the way, you know I'm an airline captain. You know, I make my living as an airline captain.....

You're reading way too much into his professonal thumbnail listed at the end of his stories. I find him to be pretty low key about his current employment. To each his own I guess... Sure seems like a lot of people here overly concern themselves with how cool they are and how everybody else should act.

Personally, I look more at the content of the articles than I do at the author's "qualifications"...and while Mr. Wright has had some pretty off the wall stuff in the past, his content is improving :)

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back