• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone heard from Air Wisconsin yet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been here a litle more than four years. I am stuck as an FO with no relief in sight. When I first got here. I was amazed there were no MELs on the planes. And they would use MELs to get the planes into Mx bases and get them cleared. That is no longer the case and many of our planes have MEL'd seats and APUs. Our planes inside and out are very filthy, and our managment treats us like dirt. If I wanted this, I would have accepted the job at Mesa. But then again, I rode in a Mesa 900 and it was pretty clean.
What I am saying is Air Wisconsin is not the place it once was. Those days are long gone. We are treated this way and told if you don't like it, then leave. But where is there to go? And they know for each person who leaves, at least 10 others are dying to get that job.

Just an idea---why don't you leave? I am in the same position as you but I don't feel the need to be a complete jacka$$ about it. Cleared $50,000 this year, worked smart---not hard (one of the benefits of our contract), and I am overall pretty happy. I enjoy flying 82 hours/month and getting paid for 105. I enjoy the duty/trip rigs.

Many of our planes have MEL'd APU's? I haven't flown a plane with an MEL'd APU since mid-summer. As of this posting there are ZERO planes in our fleet with an APU on MEL. And there are four seats out of 70 planes on MEL. You know how that works... most of the time the seats are MEL'd because someone spilled something on it and nobody knows what it is.

Overall there are a lot worse places to be. You could be a Mesa FO, that a year ago was a CA lineholder and now facing furlough. You could be a fourth year FO at another regional making $30/hr vs your $40+/hr you make here. You could have no opportunity to make money because you are furloughed.

Bottom line---YOU are a Jacka$$. Get out if it is so miserable and give the opportunity to someone who wants to work here. And yeah, I'd say this to your face.

Bottom line---YOU are a Jacka$$. Get out if it is so miserable and give the opportunity to someone who wants to work here. And yeah, I'd say this to your face.

I've got no dog in this fight. I used to work at AWAC and had the usual gripes like everyone else. That being said, the whole "leave if you hate it" advice is unrealistic. We all know that companies change and the company that you thought you had signed up for originally may not be the one you are working for today (not meant literally but in terms of QOL and management style). I am living that scenario right now.

It is so hard to just up and leave a flying job. With the seniority based system we have in this industry the notion of starting over at another carrier is often impractical. Even with a four year degree, it would be hard for many of us, especially in this economy, to find a non-flying job making Regional Captain wages or Major FO wages. It is true in my case. So the option of just up and quitting is not always a real option.

On the other hand, bitching about your plight isn't a great option either. Complaining about being a FOUR year FO at a regional? Try being an FO at Eagle... More than a few FO's have been in the right seat for almost nine years. God forbid it takes longer than 3 years to upgrade. Having been furloughed in the not so distant past, I know how bad it sucks being out of work in this economy. Being a four year FO with little advancement is a hell of a lot better than being a former four year FO with no job at all.

Stepping off my soapbox now. Merry Christmas everyone. Fly safe.

First of all, I do not think Captain Chris has the b*lls to tell me this to my face. This is why he posted it on a message board. Second, my big frustrations are over the filthy cockpits and constant breaking down of the airplanes.
I could not make it to work this past Saturday due to the snow storm and instead of them understanding as to why (PHL was running delays in excess of 6 hours) I was threatened with disciplinary action. Luckily, I got a hold of the PHL FO REP and he was able to smooth things out with scheduling. Our REPs do a great job trying to make this a better place to work, but it is an uphill battle.
As for leaving, trust me, I am as soon as I have the oppurtunity to bolt. AWAC is not the place it was when I started back in 2005. As long as we have certain people in certain places, It will never be.
Capt Chris, instead of posting this on a board, why don't you say it to my face? As for you not flying planes with broken APUs and tons of MELs, you're lucky, I guess.

Drill Sgt. Dad,
Why go on a public board and b_tch? Who cares? All airlines have their problems Air Willy is my third airline. I was at my first one and was there almost three years and was not even close to upgrading. My second airline, on my fifth year anniversary, I was an FO on RSV. And now at Air Willy, next month will be four years and I am still 65-70 numbers from the most junior CA. So, the fact you are here just a little over four years and no sign of upgrade? I have no sympathy for you. Nor do I want or care to get yours or anyone else's sympathy about my dilema. This is the way it is.
Drill Sgt. I agree with your prior post that we are own own worst enemies, because we are. But b-tching about no movement is like the baseball manager arguing with an umpire over his batter being called out on strikes. It won't get you anywhere and won't change anything. It is what it is. We are in very hard economic times and the last industry to ever recover and show positive signs is this industry. This is the way it is.
As for me being your REP, I will continue to help you, but I am also going to ask you show a bit more professionalism. If CaptainChris77 calls you a jackass to your face, what will you do about it? Deck him? If you do, I won't be able to assist you, you'd have to call my cousin who is a criminal defense attorney. But he is expensive. Then afterwards, you would have your wish by no longer being at Air Wisconsin.
We are working on many issues. You say we do not communicate? We do. You have questions? Why don't you call me? What happened this past weekend was unfortunate, but we are trying to get these issues resolved. But going on a public message board and crying about it will get you nowhere.
If you need to vent or are having personal problems or family issues at home, you can call me and I will assist you in going through the proper channels. Or if you are just coming on here to stir trouble, then I would suggest you grow up.
I have friends and associates at other carriers and and listening to thier stories, I agree Air Wisconsin has its troubles and is no utopia, but it is far better than what others have it.
I have flown a few airplanes with no APU, if you feel it is unsafe to the the temperatures, did you speak up? As for the deferred seats? Does it bother you? You already are sitting in a seat with the best view, as far as I am concerend. As for the cosmetics of the planes, they are being cleaned up, but you can't do 70 planes overnight, they are slowly getting there. As for maintenance issues? Sh-t happens. Everytime you power and APU or and Airplane up, it is wear and tear. There is nothing you can do about that. And for the schedules, why do you gripe? You live in domicle and do not have to worry about commuting.
I hate to say this to you on a public board, but if you go on one to vent, be prepared for others to answer you.
May you need to release some stress and anger? Call me, and I can give you many suggestions.
Everyone have a Happy and Safe Holiday!

Your happyness at awac is directly proportional to the seniority in your seat/base. I am a very senior fo and I have completly commutable schedules and weekends off. When I go back to captain this spring my quality of life will degrade significantly. Is awac evil? No... And despite what people say, they DO treat you better then some regionals. that said, I will also be leaving when the majors hire, because I simply don't see a future here. Those who will come here as a new hire... Expect a long time on reserve and if you commute do not expect to be home much. As for the company... Become a random face in the crowd for your first year and stay off the message boards. If you work within the lines and have a good attitude you will maybe even enjoy it here, if you don't then you will hate it here.

Last edited:
Back to the original topic...

I flew with an FA who was furloughed from CMR last year who had a class date at AWAC scheduled for late January or early February. So I guess they really are hiring beyond the furloughed guys.

sweet, I'm glad we got my ? back in order. Did they recently hear a call from them? I have had my stuff in for a month and still no reply. I figure I won't til after the holidays. Good luck to everyone with the call... late

Back to the original topic...

I flew with an FA who was furloughed from CMR last year who had a class date at AWAC scheduled for late January or early February. So I guess they really are hiring beyond the furloughed guys.

We are always hiring flight attendants. I am un-aware of any pilots being interviewed yet.

If you're currently a regional pilot, be it a captain or first officer, and haven't been furloughed, be grateful that you have a job. You applied to the regional airline of your choice. You don't want to quit your flying job in this economy. If you decide to quit your flying job with the regionals, the unamployment checks won't last forever. Matter of fact, I don't think the gov't issues unemployment checks to people who quite their jobs. Hang in there and make the best of your given situation.

No new hiring will be done until the remaining pilots on furlough are offered recall. We currently have 22 pilots on furlough. A recall class of eight starts Jan 11th. Then another bid will be out sometime in January for additional recalls.

Latest resources

Back