Anyone fly for Gulfstream out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Comair and FSI P-F-T

I agree with Dieterly's recollection about Comair P-F-T and FSI being a P-F-T provider. I like the term, "provider." Aside from its regular school, I recall that Comair operated a parallel P-F-T program. Air Midwest had some kind of P-F-T program, too, before Mesa purchased it. FSI may well have been the P-F-T provider. Comair was hiring non-P-F-T pilots from the outside during the same time.

I can't really agree 100% that the 737 type for Southwest is really P-F-T. You will always have the type on your ticket and can market it to any company who wants it. I remember years ago that Southwest did not give sim rides as part of its interview process because all of its applicants had the type. Maybe that's changed. It seems to me that knowing you don't have to take a sim ride can ease a great deal of interview stress. On the other hand, some outfit in Phoenix, run by a SWA pilot, I believe, offered 737 types. I understood that this place had all the gouge for the Southwest interview.

I agree with Timebuilder's take on the requirement. I, too, don't think it is true P-F-T, nor do I like the requirement.

PFT

OK I'll bite. Its easier to list the non PFT outfits than the one that did. First what quals as PFT (past, present or future)

1. Paying for sim
2. paying for ground school
3. paying for interview/interview sim
4. not being paid from day one
5. no per diem from day one (when away from base)
6. paying for book/manuals
7. paying for hotel when training is out of base
8. training contracts in any form
9. has an sic PFT program (e.i airnet)
Any company that does the above is a PFT company.

Now from my knowledge the only never PFT companies out there are: (and please correct me if I forget one or misidentify one)

1. Piedmont
2. US Airways (mainline)
3. Allegheny
4. Eagle (although I can't vouch for when they were many seperate companies, e.i. simmions ect.)
5. TSA (? I think - Also I can't believe the FAA just gave you guys a mx award. Your aircraft are the wort I've seen in the industry. Also on the TSA subject, could you guys stop scaring our pax in BGM. I'm getting sick of hearing pax complain)
6. Chalks ?
7. Mountain Air Cargo
8. Wiggins
9. Air Wiss

Please help me if I missed any.

Aother point I'd like to make. Delta and United are PFT. My father PFT with United in '76. He was hired to NY base and paid to stay in Denver for new hire training therefore PFT. Delta also does not pay while in training. Some other major also.

Also IMHO things like ERAU, ND, Dan Web ect. are PFT or just stupid. I mean pay almost 100,000 for a comm sel license when you could get pvt. thru ATP at you local FBO for under 10 grand.

Just some thoughts, I love you all, PFT too.
Happy Flying

Last edited:
That's a pretty generous definition of PFT you have created there. I can't say that I agree with it.

Here's a question slightly off topic, maybe Andy or somone else can answer it: Skywest has an application fee ($50, I think...) that gets a mention in the hiring pac I downloaded. Is this what everyone does, or are they an exception? Seems a little steep to cover the cost of spending ten minutes determining if an applicant goes on to the next step. Would flyin at 500 call this PFT? :D

With that (correction) Gross generalization of a definition of PFT, then I PFTed at Great Lakes since I wasn't paid until I passed my checkride (technically I was paid to drive to ground school but that was a special case). They provided hotels...all I needed was to pay for food during ground school. Yep, I must be PFT trash...whatever.

Last edited:
SkyWest App Fees

I paid something like $15-$25 in 1989 or '90. It was free before then. I applied and updated at that airline for six years. I even had a former student who had been hired there walk in an app for me, and I believe I included another check to ensure I hadn't fallen through the cracks. They returned the check and acknowledged I had paid before.

I don't remember all the places for which I ponied up app fees. It's something like the lottery - you pay your money, you takes your chances - not to mention a terrific profit center for these outfits. :(

EAZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYY BOYZ

I wasn't out to degrade anyone just to put out some thoughts. So Awackoff chill out. If you think you trash then so be it. And yes I paid 50 for the Fedex app so I've PFT or some variation of pay for your job. My best friend paid his way at ACA and for UPAS to get on with Alaska. He has never been happier, I keep telling him to watch out for polar bears up there in ANC.

It is and should be fustrating and demeaning to all of us that companies get away with this (some more than others). Why do I have to give Fedex 50 bucks to apply when the box sorter or ramp guy or A&P applicant does not have too? It sucks doesn't it. Some day our generation (mid to late 20's) will be in charge and we will remember this.

Here is something else to think about. Back when I was a senior in college and applying to guard units for UPT they required you to make your way to the interview hotel and all. At the same time I had civ. interviews for engineering jobs. These companies that wanted to interview me offered travel, food, hotel and some even paid a bonus about 100 for just interviewing with them. And the interviews were normal just review the res ask a few ?'s about you and maybe engineering theory to see if you know something and wham 40 grand a year an office and responsibility of designing a multi million dollar piece of equpiment. No app fees no PFT just treated like a professional and I hadn't even graduated yet.

O another thing about the military/guard. When I applied they wanted engineers in a big way even in the guard. Recruiters would offer to pick me up at college and drive me to the office if I would apply as a engineer in the AF, but for a pilot slot I had to try not to have them hang up the phone.

So my friend, If you have any more questions just ask, don't throw me a "whatever" like your sh!t dosen't stink.

Happy Flying

Flyin@500agl, when you grow up and start being responsible for bills maybe you will understand. I don' t agree with "PFT" (the reason I never returned Comair's phone calls 5 yrs ago), but I can understand some fees or training contracts to weed out those who flood HR desks with a resume/applications with "minimum" time or less. You young guys have alot to learn about economics. If I were HR, I would no more risk $1000 s on training for some CFI with 1000/200 hr with out a good assurance that he could pass training and would stick around to make the investment worthwhile. All the airline wannabes have "trained" the regional airlines to hire wet behind the ears pilots to fill space, pay them squat, treat them poorly, work them to death, and see them leave for the majors. Now all of pilots that thought they deserved to go to the majors after a year or so with a regional are finding out that it is not that easy and think they might try the regionals as career now that they are flying an RJ. Dont make me feel sorry for you and remind me not have my family fly on your airline that appears to be flown by such whinning under experienced pilots.

Latest resources

Back