• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone fly for Gulfstream out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One problem I find (as a young eager student) is that ads like GS and other similar programs really do attract the young guys, innocent of anything "wrong" that may be attributed to these programs.

I know I used to look at ads from big schools, where they show pilots dressed in their uniforms looking all cool, standing beside a 747. They make it look like you will be doing that when you graduate. It also gives one the impression of credibility. There are no ads like that in Canada, and I used to get jealous because I wanted to go pay my way to the airlines as it seemed so
"easy". I'm glad I found all these forums and spoke to many pilots- the ones in the industry will be the best ones to seek advice from, and not necessarily the schools themselves. These ads also make it seem like it's the norm to pay your way to the 747, when in fact it's not.

Anyway just thought I'd say something. I don't like PFT very much, and I can see why it frustrates people. Buyer beware I guess.

Gulfstream captains

Here's some food for thought: Where does Gulfstream get its Captains?

Do you become a captain by writing a check and re-upping every six months and hope for an opening? Or does it hire street captains?

:confused:

I am assuming that Gulfjoke will allow the "jokesters" to stay on after their 250 hours of "bought" radio playing/gear lifting time expires based on need..... Their is always an ad in Flying from one of their jokers that is "now" captain after taking his first flight 19 months ago- always get a good laugh at seeing his picture in the magazine every month although must not be too many others since its always his picture and story month after month..
I am amazed that none of their brainwashed jokers are replying to this thread about how we are all so "wrong" in our comments and how they sooooo well trained and needed in that "bought" right seat.- I can still remember last year a Gulfer for lifer responded to a similiar thread and tried to "justify" how the program is "legit" and how they have deserved the right to be there- HUH !! Looks like Cooper and the group must be giving them all a personal shrink to deal with an entire group of enemies as we all are towards them...

Cheers

I would walk before giving them a single dime

I worked as a CFI with a fellow who is now a Captain at Gulfstream. He was hired off the street as a Captain. He did spend several thousand hours in the right seat of all our favorite trainers before taking the position. From talking to him the CFI experience has come in real handy! Though I cannot speak for the company, or its practices, he is a very competent pilot and a really good guy. I would share the cockpit with him anytime!

I don't fly for Gulfstream, but I would fly for them if I were out of a flying job. It's funny that only a few years ago when the airlines were in a hiring spree all you heard on these sites is how to "fasttrack" it to a regional and then a major. Don't come down on the pilots who have the ability(money) to enroll in these programs, they may have had to work for it and see this as a way to get a jump start. Not all pilots who enter these programs are 21 and have millionare parents, they are sometimes 40 year olds with years of blue collar work experience. I had to start out doing the flight instructing bit blah, blah, blah. Without aircraft operators pilot employment wouldn't exist even if they operate on an economically deficient status. I would have to think that Gulfstream cannot fill all of their right seats with P-F-T pilots and have to pay pilots to work in those positions. Just my view of things.

C'mon guys, they are not all that bad...

I first started at another 1900 operator, we had some Gulfstream people come over to us after they did thier time. I flew with a few (2-3) and found them to be very capable. Now this does not speak for all of them other than these few.

As for Express I being a PFT... I do not know of anyone who got on board with less than 1500/300 (the minimum's for PFT) which required a 10K deposit to be paid back (plus you got a salary). Everyone to my knowledge at EXA earned thier jobs, did not pay fo thier jobs...

Gulfstream flow-through... it is not a rumor and actually a fact.. 50-60 interviewed for some 40 slots at 6-8 a class over the next 5-7 months. The RUMOR is that gulfstream in short on income as the natural attrition of pilots has stopped due the state of the airlines. To enhance the bottom line the rumor is that 40 move "up" to the RJ and 40 newbies pay Gulfstream for the job.

I do not know how EXA win's on this with so many qualified pilots on the market place, but maybe they have a deal were the 500 hour wonders get the right seat in a RJ for the next 3 1/2 years before they can upgrade. From EXA's point they have guaranteed FO"s for a very long time....

DO not flame me, I am only stating what I have seen, heard, and the rumor that is circulating.

I guess I should renew my CFI, HA. Seriously though, I doun't see why wehave to do this with the thousands of high time applicants out there. Just me, but doesn't make sense.

dondk,

You must be new, over half you pilot group paid the $10,000 for training. Until about a year ago? everyone had to pay. So you can't say no one at EXA was PFT. I know this because I'm friends with a few of your more senior pilots that paid for a job.

yep.. I am fairly new... but those whom I know (1-2 year) did not pay for training.

I honestky never heard anyone on the line mentioning they paid. I had 2 in my class that came on with the 1500/300 and had thier logbooks gone over with a fine tooth comb to see if they had to pay...

Latest resources

Back