• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any "Latest & Greatest" About Atlas?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They can make one stop...exactly. The route now that Atlas is doing makes three domestic US stops for Qantas with cargo added at each before heading to SYD or MEL. That's what I was stating in my original post.
I did find out however that there is an exemption in some cases for PANC.

Last edited:
Hello,

I start class monday 11th on the 747.
I was asked to fill out my preliminary standing bid.
Living in FL my first choice is going to be MIA. Any recomendation on how to select my other choices, HSV seems close to me but it will be a two flight commute, CVG and JFK are a little further but they have direct flights from my gateway. and IAH, ANC and LAX are very far away.
But one should also consider the type of flying that ATLAS does from each base to make a decision.

Thanks for any recomendations.

First of all, welcome to the fold! See you in Hahn for a pils or two very soon. MIA and HSV will have you going mostly to South America with some other odds & ends thrown in now and then. CVG will have you doing DHL stuff. That's as close as we ever come to anything approaching scheduled service. JFK is a very good mix of everything. One month you will be bouncing between Europe and Hong Kong and the next will find you in Sydney, Shanghai and Anchorage. Also, JFK is the base in which you will spend the least time. Most JFK flights originate and end elsewhere. ANC does mostly Pacific flying. IAH is almost exclusively the Sonair contract between there and Angola (read -- passenger). LAX is another DHL place. These are generalities and the standard Atlas caveat applies: Once you leave home all bets are off. Something to consider since you live in Florida is that if you live within 130 miles of your base you aren't eligible for Gateway travel.

Hope this helps

Hello,

I start class monday 11th on the 747.
I was asked to fill out my preliminary standing bid.
Living in FL my first choice is going to be MIA. Any recomendation on how to select my other choices, HSV seems close to me but it will be a two flight commute, CVG and JFK are a little further but they have direct flights from my gateway. and IAH, ANC and LAX are very far away.
But one should also consider the type of flying that ATLAS does from each base to make a decision.

Thanks for any recomendations.

Bid MIA first. You probably will not get it right out of training. It was Junior in the past when the old contract was in effect. It was great when you lived here, but sucked if you were gateway traveling from somewhere else. With the new contract, it is much better because they tie a couple S. America trips together with a long layover in MIA. Still good for people that live in or near MIA because they get a couple days at home and get paid trip rig while at home. MIA flying is predominately North-South and is pretty easy and senior guys are starting to bid into MIA because of that.

As for your next choice? It depends. HSV will always be a two leg gateway travel. But, keep in mind, Atlas will try to find the cheapest airfare to your base. So you might believe there are direct flights from MIA to CVG, JFK, LAX, or wherever. That does not mean you will be on that direct flight if a connecting flight is cheaper. USAIR is their favorite. There may be a direct flight from MIA to CVG, but USAIR has a cheaper ticket through CLT. You will still be connecting.

JFK is kind of a pseudo base. Very little freight actually originates out of JFK. Most JFK trips start with a deadhead to somewhere else, which eliminates imputed income and gives you an extra day off because you don't have to travel on a day off. HSV trips almost always start in HSV and end in HSV, and therefore you will be charged imputed tax.

Flying from HSV and JFK is East-West and you will get f'd up on your body clock. The same with CVG.

Guess I convinced myself to bid JFK second. Then HSV. You don't want to fly to LAX or ANC on your day off.

You will get MIA in your first year here the way things are going. Plus, you too can have a Brazilian girlfriend like so many do....lol

Last edited:
Something to consider since you live in Florida is that if you live within 130 miles of your base you aren't eligible for Gateway travel.

Sorry for the confusion, but can you please elaborate on this? If you live in a city that is also a base, but are based somewhere else, are you still eligible for gateway travel? On the other had, if you lived in base, why would gateway travel matter?

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion, but can you please elaborate on this? If you live in a city that is also a base, but are based somewhere else, are you still eligible for gateway travel? On the other had, if you lived in base, why would gateway travel matter?

Thanks!

His message was a little mis-stated. Under the old contract, if you lived within 130 miles of your base and you chose to bid another base you could not get gateway travel. Under the new contract it does not matter. If you live within 130 miles of MIA and you are MIA based and you change bases to any other base, you get gateway basing. You are free to bid wherever you want and get gateway basing if you want.

Thanks!

Directly from the CBA:

2. Crewmember Eligibility for Gateway Travel
a. A Crewmember will not be eligible for Gateway Travel if his
residence is within one hundred and thirty (130) miles of his Base.

------------------------------

The wording is "HIS" base rather than "A" base. In other words, If you live in MIA but your base is HSV you are eligible. If you live in Florida in a city with an airport that is 129 miles from MIA you are not eligible and will have to travel to MIA to begin your pairing even though there is an airport in your city.

Last edited:
Directly from the CBA:

2. Crewmember Eligibility for Gateway Travel
a. A Crewmember will not be eligible for Gateway Travel if his
residence is within one hundred and thirty (130) miles of his Base.

------------------------------

The wording is "HIS" base rather than "A" base. In other words, If you live in MIA but your base is HSV you are eligible. If you live in Florida in a city with an airport that is 129 miles from MIA you are not eligible and will have to travel to MIA to begin your pairing even though there is an airport in your city.

I understand what you are saying, but the old contract said if you ever lived within 130 miles of your base and you chose to change your base you would not be entitled to gateway basing. The new contract got rid of that. You are free to change bases at will and still be entitled to gateway basing.

All I'm saying is just what the contract says: If you live within 130 miles of your base you are not entitled to gateway. If you live more than 130 miles away you are.

Latest resources

Back