• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any "Latest & Greatest" About Atlas?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From a value/fundamental investing standpoint, there's plenty to dislike about Atlas Air. For starters, the company still has a sizable military cargo/transport business that should be liable to lower defense budgets and fewer overseas deployments. Management is looking to replace this with more charter and commercial business, but so far that transition is still at risk. It's also well worth noting that things could get much, much worse in the air cargo market, particularly if the global economy slides further toward recession. Last and not least, this is a company that seldom produces multiple consecutive years of positive free cash flow, and that often stands in the way of substantial long-term value accretion.

....not telling anyone not to apply, just pointing out the volatility of ACMI.

So, when are you leaving. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

I have a financial background and after looking at the business model and financial reports, I feel Atlas is on pretty solid ground. They are well diversified and growing. Your point about Atlas trying to decrease their exposure to military flying is not valid. A year ago, we had never carried troops and now Atlas has grown that segment into a sizable portion of their business. My only concern is that they continue to leverage their balance sheet to gain new aircraft. But this risk could be well offset by the substantial profit that I hear these new aircraft will bring in.

So, when are you leaving. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

I have a financial background and after looking at the business model and financial reports, I feel Atlas is on pretty solid ground. They are well diversified and growing. Your point about Atlas trying to decrease their exposure to military flying is not valid. A year ago, we had never carried troops and now Atlas has grown that segment into a sizable portion of their business. My only concern is that they continue to leverage their balance sheet to gain new aircraft. But this risk could be well offset by the substantial profit that I hear these new aircraft will bring in.

Dude Im staying and quite happy to do so...theres no need to be a smart a$$.

All I stated was the article posted as representing an article about how great Atlas is doing, ended in a paragraph stating nothing but negatives. That paragraph is what I reposted above. I wasn't stating I agreed or disagreed.

You can have an MBA from Harvard and know our company finances and business plan inside out. In this deal our balance sheet and well being is predicated on all our customers finances as well. One or two big ones tank or change the way they do business....and it can negatively impact us very quickly. A few examples...years ago EZ did the Qantas flying...a pissing match over some fuel and it was gone... World was the passenger darling a few years ago ( adding 747's and hiring like crazy...while Atlas was furloughing).....Son Air put their contract out for rebid..Atlas jumped and used this as an opportunity to get the year of Pax flying to be eligible for military flying and further put the hurt on World. Losing that one contract from what I see has really ended up biting them in the a$$.

Do I want any of this to happen at Atlas...hell no of course not. I think Atlas is in a great position today. It would be nice if in the next few years all on property get a shot at upgrade. But my optimism based on past experience is cautious.
I see some on this board touting how great Atlas is and making it sound like because they do work here they are higher forms of life...I've even had some I know at other places tell me how much they've noticed it on flightinfo all Im gonna say is go easy.....Karma. I remember back in 2000 getting on a van with some United guys braggin' it up after their big contract and expansion so all us "low lifers" would hear it......a year later a lot of them were out of work.

things will be more secure for Atlas when all of the rest of us garbage haulers get out of your way. I get what your trying to convey there JM & i have felt the attitude as well.

JM, Have you been fortunate enough to get any Sydney trips?

Whats up T how goes it ....been there each trip the last 3 months.. two by bid one by sched change. So you know what that means Afghanistan and Nairobi for me the remainder of the year..... got to meet some of the Wallabies there at the hotel....before the All Blacks handed them a whoopin'

Last edited:
Spitfire1500,

Point noted...

I was not trying to be a smart ###, I just have a severe adversion to negative attitudes...especially when things at Atlas are relatively good.

It is unfortunate that some feel that we are getting cocky. I would say far from it. Most pilots that I have met who have been hired at Atlas in recent years have come from other failed airlines and rocky careers. The senior guys are not cocky either as they came to Atlas when it was not the place to be.

Hopefully, those that read what Atlas pilots post understand that we are excited to finally work for a winning team for once. That is a rare position to be in while employed as an airline pilot and I realize how lucky I am and how it could all come to an end quickly. Furthermore, I, nor any Atlas pilot I have worked with wish ill-will on any of our competitors....we have all been there.

Last edited:
Spitfire1500,

Point noted...

I was not trying to be a smart ###, I just have a severe adversion to negative attitudes...especially when things at Atlas are relatively good.

It is unfortunate that some feel that we are getting cocky. I would say far from it. Most pilots that I have met who have been hired at Atlas in recent years have come from other failed airlines and rocky careers. The senior guys are not cocky either as they came to Atlas when it was not the place to be.

Hopefully, those that read what Atlas pilots post understand that we are excited to finally work for a winning team for once. That is a rare position to be in while employed as an airline pilot and I realize how lucky I am and how it could all come to an end quickly. Furthermore, I, nor any Atlas pilot I have worked with wish ill-will on any of our competitors....we have all been there.

Classy post Knoxville - all the more reason I can't wait to join the team.

Spitfire1500,

Point noted...

Yea you're right most of us came from cramppy places to work, in the land of the misfit toys...lol. I need to not post when I'm in a horrible mood......it is nice working for an expanding company rather than a shrinker....

Whats up T how goes it ....been there each trip the last 3 months.. two by bid one by sched change. So you know what that means Afghanistan and Nairobi for me the remainder of the year..... got to meet some of the Wallabies there at the hotel....before the All Blacks handed them a whoopin'

Glad to hear it. Hopefully I will run into you, I still owe you a beer for saving my butt from the terminator (TT)!

very classy post knox, wish i had been lucky enough to get past the interview board last time. would have been a pleasure working for a winning team & I understand the pride that can come from that. It is sorely lacking in this industry.

Latest resources

Back