• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

An overview of corp. pilot requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, Falcon Capt, it looks like Engineering as a primary job and leasure flying on the side might well be it for me.

I seems, looking at logic at least, it seems the best thing to do.

See, if I get my BS in Aero Engineering, and then venture into years of training and work as a CFI to then try getting a job as a professional pilot, I might as well succeed, but then, if ANYTHING at all goes wrong, it will be hard to fall back on Aerospace Engineering, for time means a lot in that industry. A 26 year old with a Master in Aero Engineering and 3 years of experience will be 200 times more qualified for a job I would be applying at the age of 26 for example, after having flown for 5 years, and decided flying is not for me. That's because aerospace companies don't give a crap whether you have flown a Baron 58 for 700 hours, it won't help you design a turbine blade.

But on the other hand, if I get my Masters in Aero, and find a job and work a couple of years, and then find out I would like to try to fly pro, then I would have more of a chance, as switching jobs TO professional aviation is not a new thing, and many people seem to have done it. All you need is the ratings and the experience, besides that, you could be 50 and have been a janitor for all they care...

The only reason I was keeping pro aviation as an option, is because being a non-US citizen, finding a job in the Aerospace industry as an engineer is going to be extremely tough, that's why I wanted to leave the flying career as an option, even though I could probably go back to Europe and try getting a job as an engineer there...

It seems that the road ahead is a hard one, wether I try to look for a job as an Aero engineer, or go down the difficult path of a low-pay CFI for years and build up flight time...they seem both equally hard...

but as an Engineering degree will be more useful for an Engineering job rather than a pilot job, I'll most probably go into Engineering, so that I won't have wasted 6 years of my life (includes Masters)

Meanwhile though, finances permitting, I will be trying to get my ratings up to CFI alongside my degree...

we'll see what happens in a couple of years...

thanx for your patience and advice....

Archer

oh and I forgot

And well you are at it, could you PLEASE design me an SSBJ (Super Sonic Business Jet) that is affordable and has low compression technology to minimize "Boom" and allow me to cruise at Mach 2 over populated areas?

It's funny, because I am actually part of a student design group working with Boeing Engineers on a design of an SSBJ. We are probably going as far as making a little model of it and doing wind tunnel tests, but we are at least going to get a written design report done.

I believe the target price is 60 million, the range at least 5000 nm, subsonic AND supersonic cruise capability at Mach 1.6 minimum...with noise and airport runway length restrictions, so it is able to land at Class E airports etc...

The main problem is the propulsion system...the F22's P&W F119 engine or the Eurofighter's EJ200 engines would be awesome, as they allow the two fighters the ability to cruise at Mach 1.5 without afterburners...but they are also the two most classified pieces of equipment out there...I doubt that the P&W would let us borrow the 35,000+ lb thrust engines ;)

But we're thinking really hard :D

Archer

Archer - I really have to say that Falcon Capt is right. You just don't sound like you have the "passion". I bet you like flying very, very, very much. But if you're even considering being an engineer instead of a pilot, I tend to think you lack the crazy passion that tends to be necessary to really make it in this field (assuming you're not independently wealthy to begin with!).

Trust me, man - this is not at all intended to be an insult. I'm just calling it like I see it. I've been brought up in an engineering/computer atmosphere my whole life. I'm both a physics and computer science major, and enjoy both very much. But I'd take a $25K job flying rubber dildos around the U.S. in a Navajo before I'd take a $150K engineering or CS job. I wouldn't even think about it. I make pretty exceptional money now as a programmer, but I constantly sit and salivate at the chance to make a QUARTER OF THAT as a CFI once I graduate. I just can't wait to do it.

Anyway, I always hate to tell anyone, "Nah...do something else. This isn't for you." But in this case, it sounds like you're better off making the big cash as an engineer and simply flying whenever you want recreationally.

Well, I guess destiny shall have the final word.

Perhaps I won't be able to find a job that I like as and aero engineer, and that will be the final motiviation I need to enter the pro pilot world...

it is going to be very hard to find a job in the US, and though I probably can find one in Europe, it will be perhaps equally hard to find something that interests me there, as the Aerospace Industry is not the same as in the US...

so I'll get my ratings up to ATP and fly for fun, and then, if the day comes, I'll have the ratings needed to start down that path...if not, I'll be a highly qualified leisure pilot...

Archer

Archer said:
so I'll get my ratings up to ATP and fly for fun, and then, if the day comes, I'll have the ratings needed to start down that path...if not, I'll be a highly qualified leisure pilot...

You DO realize the ATP requires a MINIMUM of 1,500 hours... thats a lot of time to pay for on your own... Realistically you could get up through your Commercial Single & Multi-Engine and your CFI, CFI-I and CFI-ME all by the time you have around 300 hours...

Good Luck to you!

Have the best of both worlds!

Archer,

Go for the best of both worlds. I grew up with a guy that got his private at 17 and when he went to college he got his degree in Aerospace Eng. I haven't talked to him in a long time, but a couple years back he was on the cover of GA Flyer as the flight test engineer in the Maverick or Eclipse can't remember which. All by the age of about 26.

Now, I have no idea how many positions like that there may be, but something to look into. You will "make the big bucks" and still get the joy of getting out of the cubicle and going flying. Maybe not as the pilot, but still flying and most likely will even get some stick time.

Geigo

Yeah, I am aware of the 1500 hour requirement. I wasn't implying I would do this within the next two years or something. Hell, if I get my commercial within the next two years that will be an achievement for me, along school.

I was thinking long term, and if you have some flying buddies, and lots of friends, it's not impossible to fly very frequently. Renting the Archer with two other friens would cost 23 bucks an hour for me (wet). With three others (for local flights and less fuel) it would cost about 18 bucks/hour.

I'm not saying this is totally cheap (and taking three peple with me on the Archer is probably a bad idea, even if it's within W&B limits), but it's better than the 100+ bucks I pay now for training...

well anyways, these are long term goals. my PPL and IR are shorter term goals.

But thanx for the advice. I just want to go out there and fly safely with friends and have fun and visit new places...that's all. I don't care about ratings, the reason I want to have them all is to keep the learning process going, and improving myself as a pilot while I learn from experience....

Archer

Archer...

Just to reiterate: Follow all the good advice here.

With 2000 hrs. of flight time I just left a flight instructing job where I made $45,000 to start training in the CRJ-200 where I will make $18,000 (if I'm lucky) the first year. How do you think that affects one's quality of life?
I had to move from a part of the country where a 2 bedroom duplex was $550/month to a section where a 1 bedroom apt. is $1000. All this was necessary in order to advance my career and get more experience.
I have $10,000 in credit card debt remaining from when I earned my certificates 3 yrs. ago and drive a car with over 120,000 miles on it. I'm sleeping only 5-6 hrs. a night while I am in training and go no where except to the training center.
And I love flying.
I do not believe that this lifestyle is for you. Yet this is not an atypical aviation career path. Is this how you anticipate your aviation career?

BTW, life is just a series of mistakes (or small "adjustments"). Don't spend too much time agonizing about what decisions to make. Make a good decision and move on. If later you find it was an incorrect decision, so be it. That is how one gets 30 yrs of experience and wisdom. The amount of energy you've put in writing these posts would have been better spent in your studies (aviation or enegineering). Your indecision reflects an inability to analyze and make a decision and stick with it that could kill you in aviation. Be cautious.

Blue skies........

Archer,

I'm going to jump in with everyone else here -- I'm an established engineer (head of engineering, actually); I'm young (20's); I have, if I want, a good track to top level management in my industry.

I worked really hard to get here, hating it the whole time. I am here because this is where, in many repsects, my family wanted me to be. I always loved engineering, but I hate the profession with a passion sometimes. I'm now working, with whatever I have (there is a policy in my house -- FFF, food, flying, fuel -- everything else is secondary) to get my fixed + helicopter ratings. I want to fly lifeflight for a hospital. I don't care how little money that I will make -- I can figure all of that out as each situation presents itself.

You seem pretty set on doing the MBA, engineering program. If that is what you want (or you want to do what your parents want) -- just do it. You'll have to say (like I have had to say) "Screw off guys, this is my life, thanks for the advice, but I'm going to hoe my own row". It's tough, but if your parents love you, they'll never stop supporting you (I was lucky in that respect, I guess).

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Cheers,

-Andrew

With 2000 hrs. of flight time I just left a flight instructing job where I made $45,000 to start training in the CRJ-200 where I will make $18,000 (if I'm lucky) the first year. How do you think that affects one's quality of life?

Wow, 45 grand as a CFI? Is this airline instructing or Private and Commerical students instructing?

Well, after having read hundreds of posts by dozens of pilots, and articles all over the place, I have come to understand how things are in the aviation industry. It's a hard and long road to get to a position where you get a good pay. It seems it usually takes some 10 years of low pay, high work-load jobs, and periods of unemployment. I understand that.

And pilots say, you gotta love flying professionallly A LOT to be able to deal with the "suffering" of getting there.

As many people said, they have had computer programming jobs that paid twice and three times as much as flying, but they would give up that anyday to get a low paying flying job.

And for those who say I probably could not become a pro pilot, I understand why you say that, and I agree to a certain degree.

The biggest reason is that I've been spoiled, and never had financial problems in my life. So going through years of low-pay flying jobs would be a BIG jump...

Plus, I have an added difficulty that 95% of the pilots on this board don't have. I'm not a citizen or permanent resident...yet I would love to fly in the US because aviation seems to have a huge market here, and GA and corporate is huge.

Well thanx for the advice anyways. I probably need to talk face to face to my CFI and see what he thinks of my situation. He has worked for some airline I think, or commuter or something, I need to ask him about that...

ne ways, we'll see how things turn out. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be still posting here, and I might post as a part-time pilot/full time engineer, or a full time pilot....or all the way from Europe...

who knows, but I know for sure that I'll be flying, whether professionally or for leisure...I'll be flying...

Archer

Latest resources

Back