Ameristar, the new Schedule, and Ethics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Deskbound said:
Mr. Wiggums, you are misinformed. The new schedule has the exact same number of days working, not 32 more, as you alleged. It is my understanding that the recent upgrades will continue to receive captain's pay regardless of what seat they are flying in.

How do you figure? we get 6 days off a month. 6 x 12 = 72
throw in the " 9 "days vacation 3 times a year. 9 x 3 = 27
which gives us a grand total of 99 days off

current schedual 110 days off
this equals more work for same pay ='s paycut
if i am wrong, please correct me, but this is my understanding of it.

On another note, my problem with this whole situation lies with upper management, not the CP's office. If it were up to them, we'd have a 7 and 7.
I think as a pilot group, we need to come up with a solution to our problem. This 5 on 2 off is not set in stone. If we can come up with a better schedule, then the CP's will go to bat for us. We need to put our heads together and find something that will give us coverage and time off.

Last edited:
Maybe the CP's should issue a memo and solicit some input. Why won't a 7/7 schedule work? What are they trying to figure out? How about keeping the pilots in the loop?

60 heads are better than 1

Windsor said:
On another note, my problem with this whole situation lies with upper management, not the CP's office. If it were up to them, we'd have a 7 and 7.
I think as a pilot group, we need to come up with a solution to our problem. This 5 on 2 off is not set in stone. If we can come up with a better schedule, than the CP's will go to bat for us. We need to put our heads together and find something that will give us coverage and time off.

Not so Fast...

AC560 said:
Piloting a modern aircraft and knowing the various FAR's isn't done by stupid people. I am constantly amazed at the knowledge exhibited by most posters here. If you can past the ATP written, you are smart enough to read a contract.

I am sure with 750 hours you are the best judge of what it takes and what everyone out there can do.

Just a question.... has there ever been a time when an a/c crashed because of unqualified people....They all had an ATP/Type Rating did they not? Not a lot of Non-Certificated pilots getting jobs...right?

Here is a tip from your Uncle Honeycomb....Pilots fly a/c good....but make terrible negotiators.

AC560 said:
If its a bad deal don't sign it, don't take the job, but certainly don't blame the company for your poor decision.

I am not blaming the company for someone signing the contract. I said that the reason we have contracts are because of the companies poor mgmt.

And, Like I said "Never under-estimate a pilot's ability to take a bad job". Do I need to spell it out for ya'?

I am blaming the pilots who sign such a terrible deal. But they did what they had to do. And, look where it has gotten them. Mgmt again taking advantage of the pilot group. It wasn't enough that they have the training department paid for by the, now slaves, servants they call pilots. Look at the power they have given mgmt.

But, a smart pilot would have written protections for him/her self in the training contract. Like guaranteed pay...No pay cuts...No days off reduction.... and so on.

Oh, and good for you...I haven't signed one either. But I am not starving and looking for work to pay bills.

I hope that these guys beat Ameristar about the head when they can. Like leaving for any job when they are up for contractual training obligations.

Last edited:
Beside the real Issue of the schedule has anyone asked himself the question:
How long is the company going to last at this pace?
Fewer trips, some cancelled and so on...

good luck

Windsor, thank you for being more informed; you ask good questions. To answer them, we should probably wait for the company memo to come out, but I am holding a draft of it right now and will answer some of the math. First, though all groups all have at least six days off per month, a couple months have at least eight days off. I counted three of the groups and I show 79 - 81 days off per the schedule. Then add in your 9 days, etc. I know the chiefs solicited opinions because they wanted crews genuine input - not to start a flame where someone alleges 12% pay cuts and, effectively, an extra month per year of work! Let's see what gets published from the Chiefs office in the next day or two. Safe travel!

Dear deskbound,

how are the chiefs getting in touch with the Pilots? by e-mail or phone call?
what will be the nature of the inputs? only schedule or will the pilot be free to address other issues?

best regards

honeycomb said:
I am sure with 750 hours you are the best judge of what it takes and what everyone out there can do.

You are right I wrongly assumed with my @750hrs that you were smart enough to be able to engage in a meaningful discussion; I was wrong.

Ummmmm..... hmmmmm.......

Well you smacktards took low paying jobs as pilots, signed an employement contract.....

RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG

And now yer all mad because you get paid crap and treated like a smacktard.

It is what it is. You knew what it was when you started.

BTW - Its not going to get better.

Wrong...Yes....

AC560 said:
You are right I wrongly assumed with my @750hrs that you were smart enough to be able to engage in a meaningful discussion; I was wrong.

You may engage in the discussion....But, How many different pilots have you flown with?

My point is that you are not equiped to make such a call of Pilot intellect. Sorry.

I have flown with over 1,000 different pilots. Mostly at the Airlines. I will tell you that I have flown with many a pilot (with ATP's) that could not be that bright. You are mis-taken intellegence and common sense smarts.

And, your point was that with an ATP you should be a great Lawyer....oh sorry you said "If you can past the ATP written, you are smart enough to read a contract."

And this is not true. I know this. You don't have the experience to say such non-sense. Maybe after you have been in the industry a few more years. But, right now....you haven't got the experience with what other aviators are or are not capable of regardless of you Total Time.

That was my point.

Hey continue to play devil's advocate all you want.

cynic said:
Ummmmm..... hmmmmm.......

Well you smacktards took low paying jobs as pilots, signed an employement contract.....

RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG

And now yer all mad because you get paid crap and treated like a smacktard.

It is what it is. You knew what it was when you started.

BTW - Its not going to get better.

Cynic,

why don't you make a nice bundle of your own business and take good care of it? Maybe for a long time just enough for all those christians to solve their problems...

BTW it was historically proven that flying at those outfits is potentially more remunerative than a regional carrier and just as good for your resume`.

Keep on switching the switches in your Lear...contract pilot!

Latest resources

Back