Ameristar, the new Schedule, and Ethics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wiggums

The word is official, Ameristar's new schedule is 5 on, 2 off, plus every fourth weekend you have to work through Saturday and Sunday, making that week a 12 day straight stretch. This basically works out to 32 days more work per year, with no increase in pay or vacation to compensate. This is on top of already working more days per year for less pay then anyone of our other competitors.

I used to think Ameristar was a decent place to build your time and experience to move on to bigger and better things. I even recommend some friends of mine for jobs there. There are very few faster ways to build your turbine time, most importantly your turbine PIC time.

However, it turns out that the management there is completely unethical and treats the crews like they are indentured servants. Every pilot there is signed an eighteen month, non-prorated contract. The way the contract is written Ameristar could require you to work every day of the year and there would be no relief. There is basically an implied understanding about Ameristar's schedule and bases policy. To go and change the way things have been done for over a decade in one fell swoop is very unethical. Pilots have structured their lives around this implied understanding. Everyone who is commuting is in a very difficult situation, especially if they have families. Could you imagine having to tell your wife and kids that you in a few weeks you will have to move hundreds of miles, or you will only see them three days a month?

Even pilots that already live in their bases are getting treated badly. Crews get to pick their schedule for the entire year and many have bid particular groups in order to have certain days off. Now that is all completely thrown out the window. How wrong is it cause someone to miss a special event that they may have been planning all year for.

Now if that isn't enough, the schedule changes are not even the whole story. A couple of crew members have been downgraded from captain to first officer. This is legitimate, the amount of captains needed varies with the needs of the business. However, what is completely unethical is changing someones seat and pay, but then holding them to their contract they signed when they upgraded. Sure it is completely legal according to the contract, but is that the right way to treat your people?

So this is how if you work at Ameristar you are basically an indentured servant. If they were to just lay you off, at least you would be released from your training contract and be able to look for other work. However, lets say you quit because you want to see your kids and don't want a divorce, you are on the hook for $18k plus legal expenses. They could require that you work everyday of the year and it would be completely legal.

Ameristar pilots are some of the hardest working pilots in the business. They get the job done under tough conditions with poor equipment. To try to solve the companies problems on the backs of the 135 pilots is a terrible thing to do. What about new schedules for the 121 pilots? What about pay cuts for other departments? How about cleaning out some of the inept people in dispatch, crew scheduling, and maintenance? Ameristar already has the advantage of very low crew costs, if the company cannot make it on the original pay and schedule then there are other problems.

This is the time for Ameristar pilots to stand up and say enough is enough. Wether it be outright quiting, refusing trips (max safety), or calling in the teamsters, something must be done.

Last edited:
I hear you bro. I flew for a shady, shady cargo outfit before getting hired at XJT. Though not perfect, ALPA is part of the reason I love this place. Maybe it's time for you to think about joining the club. Just some food for thought.

It has been said that Compensation (with QOL issues too) is the only way to tell a good flight department from a bad one.

I would go farther.....ANY PLACE that requires a contract for training is a SCUM-BAG operation.

I wish you and your buddy's the best. Go get'em.

I wished everyone could leave at the end of their contracts. And, put them in the hurt locker.

Until we stand up....we will get treated like this from mgmt.

Of course never under-estimate a pilot's ability to take a bad job.

Peace.

Might there be a difference between arranging to give pilots a less
advantageous work schedule and being "completely unethical"? I admit,
it's kind of a blow, and NOT a good deal, but there might be a choice
between instituting the new schedule and reducing the number of pilots
considerably. $3 per gallon fuel has to make a difference....

Thats an easy fix man. Just start writing up every single thing, keep a list, photos, video, transcriptions of conversations. I'd say a month would probably do the trick at most cargo places.

If your fired for writing everything up...sue....get money back for contract + expenses.

If you quite you can clearly show how they were endangering you and your career...sue..get out of contract + every expense and expense of training fora new position

I had heard good things about ameristar.....thanks for the insight.

Hate to see good people treated badly.

Captain Oveur said:
Might there be a difference between arranging to give pilots a less
advantageous work schedule and being "completely unethical"? I admit,
it's kind of a blow, and NOT a good deal, but there might be a choice
between instituting the new schedule and reducing the number of pilots
considerably. $3 per gallon fuel has to make a difference....
In simple terms this is a 12% pay cut plus the pilots only get 6 days off in every 28. Plus it will not work for anyone who commutes.

If you were to be laid off you would be released from your contract and have a current 8410 that would help you find other work. You would also get unemployment and WIC.

In the current plan you cannot quit because if you do you owe 100% of the training contract.

...This is the time for Ameristar pilots to stand up and say enough is enough. Wether it be outright quiting, refusing trips (max safety), or calling in the teamsters, something must be done.[/quote]

Lets's give Mgmt the benefits of the doubt and think for a moment that they also tried to prevent lay-offs, I am not saying that I like what I see; let's suppose the new schedule might not be a permanent deal; let's give the company sometime to breathe and gasp some fresh air given the grief circumstances, let's give them sometime....what do you think?

Free to leave

No training contract at USA Jet, if you feel you being are treated badly, you are free to leave. If you have done a good job, we will give you letters of recommendation. In spite of riding the same on-demand roller coaster, our turnover without a contract is around 10% per year, most leaving for what they feel are better jobs flying for Spirit, Kalita etc. There are tremendous savings with low turnover.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back