Ameriflight questions?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys and gals,
Here's the deal with Southwest jumpseating on Ameriflight A/C.
AMF's Op Specs were reviewed by AMF's FAA POI and it was determined that as written we cannot take SWA jumpseaters, the only jumpseaters we can take apart from company employess & Feds are pilots from UPS,DHL, Airborne.

Therefore until our Op' Specs are revised, we cannot take SWA jumpseaters, this was not a case of AMF kicking SWA out of our jumpseats. As I understand it AMF is working on correcting this.

However consider this-after 9/11 it took us the bettter part of six months to get our jumpseat privileges reinstated with SWA, while at the same time we were still taking SWA jumpseaters. I certainly would consider it an act of bad faith by SWA to revoke our jumpseat privelige without giving AMF a reasonable amount of time to correct this.

xXpress 1,

Your interpretation of the jumpseater being a crewmember is correct, it's a shame however that the FAA apppears to see differently - and they have the final say!

Let's hope AMF sorts this out sooner rather than later.

CaptBuzzard said:
I heard that the guy I knew who washed out messed up on some little things that were turning in to bigger problems. After that, he psyched himself out and struggled until they wouldn't work with him anymore. That is all I know. Secret Squirrel is right on the money about learning flows and then struggling with approaches. I studied and studied the approaches in the L.A. area that were most commonly used during training until I knew them almost without looking at the plates. I was unfamiliar with the layout and procedures for some things in the BUR area. I studied and it helped. If you get on here, just study and stay relaxed.

Yeah, they can afford to be picky these days... When I was at AMF, they practically re-did my roommate's instrument rating. 40-some hours of flight training in a Lance..

Times change...

Who can AMF pilots jumpseat on??

Hey, TheDogsBollocks, xxpress1, or anyone else who might know..............does anyone know which companies AMF pilots CAN jumpseat on? I know of Southwest and Horizon. Any others? I have yet to see an official list and nobody seems to know.

Thanks in advance if you have any info! :cool:

AZaviator,

Apart from the two airlines you mentioned we can still ride DHL in their Airbus A300's (due to a partitioned courier area in these aircraft). I have heard of other pilots jumpseating with other carrier's but that is strictly on a try your luck basis.

I flew a Lance when i was in OAK, and I commuted from SAN. 205A/219 run was the best - starts around noon, and gets done around 9ish, and it goes 4 days a week...

But then, I got outstationed in San Diego so no more commute... that schedule rocked too.. I heard they changed it all so now it sucks. This was 3 years ago.

Freight Dog said:
I flew a Lance when i was in OAK, and I commuted from SAN. 205A/219 run was the best - starts around noon, and gets done around 9ish, and it goes 4 days a week...

But then, I got outstationed in San Diego so no more commute... that schedule rocked too.. I heard they changed it all so now it sucks. This was 3 years ago.

They are in a constant search for new and innovative ways to insure that everyting sucks. At this they are quite successful.

Cloudsurfer227,

I believe there a few "split schedules" that pack in a lot of flight time in a shorter work schedule but they are mainly confined to the BE99/PA31. However I hear that there may be some route changes and reductions in service, so things may be changing.

The main problem with the OAK base is that AMF pays you regardless of domicile, the cost of living in OAK is the highest in the AMF system!

TheDogsBollocks said:

The main problem with the OAK base is that AMF pays you regardless of domicile, the cost of living in OAK is the highest in the AMF system!

That's exactly why I commuted... no way I could have afforded a place up there.

Don't know if it's still commutable... but when I was there (2000), there was Lance, Chieftain, Beech 99, Metro and Lear out of OAK.

I imagine night runs are commutable.

Latest resources

Back