• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American in the news

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ongoing problem with identifying gear or pressurization! Boeing used the same horn for the landing gear warning horn and for the pressurization system. Intermittant vs steady, on the ground vs in the air!

The helios crash was a classic if I remember right, the pressurization switch was placed in the manual mode by mx and never returned to auto. Crew departed and never noticed the switch was not in correct position. Horn goes off as airplane climbs, crew never noticed the cabin failing to pressurize, eventually they all pass out.

Boeing started installing lights on the dashboard; configuration or pressurization, that was over 2 years ago, lights are still not active!

My oufit has modified checklists to catch this, not to mention a pre-departure brief on the first crew flight of the day!!

That horn can be very distracting in the busy terminal environment.

Maybe they were climbing and the high cabin altitude horn came on followed shortly by the rubber jungle. Gotta go back and face the music, but keep flying the airplane for crying out loud. Sure you need to be sensitive to ears. but most folks started out learning how to make approaches in unpressurized airplanes.

It appears they didn't know why the horn was going off! Well, they knew it was a pressurization problem, but from the sounds of the tower tape they didn't understand what was happening. Also the comment from the company about training or something leads one to believe they didn't fully understand. Since it was handled internally, we'll probably never know!!

The other poster had a good point, if the rubber jungle deployed, they no choice but to turn around!!

Really?? An emergency?? Was an emergency declared or was it just a return to field? High on approach? OK, you F'ed up the approach, do a 360 - not an emergency. Need another 360? You REALLY stepped on it but still not an emergency.

Now it sounds like all-knowing media might be gunning for the ASAP program - all for a single switch out of position (yeah, they shoulda caught it) and a slow news day.

I WANT MY 5 MINUTES BACK!

Except for missing the switch position...sounds like they did a pretty good job to me.

Latest resources

Back