• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American... Get that rig!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are plenty of people that are clueless about the SW pay system.

I just finished flying around 85 hours of flight time for Jan, and will be paid 126 trips for pay. Picked up a few trips, some deadheading in there, and that awesome rig of 6.5 per day showed up a few times. No premium and I'll make the equivalent of a 12 year Delta widebody FO. Around 180/hr per hour flown.

Substandard? Hardly. Now I'm all for increasing the retirement component and increasing the pay with at least min COLA raises, but to throw the whole structure under the bus just because you're ex-Tranny is ridiculous.

Parking? Yea that's a huge benefit. Reserve? Maybe we could get airport standby like AirTran had. Give me a break.

Nobody comes close on..

1. Rig per day
2. Codeshare, scope
3. Pay structure in general
I agree with most of what you are saying about most being clueless about the SWA pay system. But to be fair, 126TFP equates to a more understandable 110 units of pay converted to hourly.

I love the trip for pay system. SWA has a huge amount of soft pay involved with it. The rigs are very beneficial and don't even get me started on the value of scope and codeshare, it is incalculable.

American pilots accepted 7 additional concessions to get an early and increase in pay and also pushed out Section 6 till 2020. The money was the bribe and the pilots accepted it, this is a 9/11 contract till 2020, do not polish this turd into something it is not...no profit sharing also.

So now you are complaining? Aren't you based in PHX? Yeah all those LAA pilots based in PHX. Well at least you're not blaming it on USAPA, yet. Let me guess, it's everyone else's fault except AWA guys.

% Yes
STL 91.91%
PHX 91.17%
ORD 82.75%
SFO 81.82%
BOS 74.77%
LAX 73.62%
DFW 66.32%
CLT 64.97%
DCA 64.54%
LGA 54.71%
PHL 51.33%
MIA 45.38%

seems only Miami has balls.

Last edited:
So now you are complaining? Aren't you based in PHX? Yeah all those LAA pilots based in PHX. Well at least you're not blaming it on USAPA, yet. Let me guess, it's everyone else's fault except AWA guys.

% Yes
STL 91.91%
PHX 91.17%
ORD 82.75%
SFO 81.82%
BOS 74.77%
LAX 73.62%
DFW 66.32%
CLT 64.97%
DCA 64.54%
LGA 54.71%
PHL 51.33%
MIA 45.38%

seems only Miami has balls.
Balls? You guys haven't learned s hit in the last 9 years, have you?

I agree with most of what you are saying about most being clueless about the SWA pay system. But to be fair, 126TFP equates to a more understandable 110 units of pay converted to hourly.

I love the trip for pay system. SWA has a huge amount of soft pay involved with it. The rigs are very beneficial and don't even get me started on the value of scope and codeshare, it is incalculable.

I get what your saying Howard, but I was doing more of an actual conversion...not the hypothetical 1.15 conversion. It looks like this...

126 trips X 125/trip = $15750 for the month. I flew 85 actual hours, so..

$15,750 divided by 85 = an equivalent $185/per hour worked.

I guess a big reason for those numbers are that our FO payrates are tied to the CA rate at 70%. I don't know of any other major that has it set up this way. Maybe to help with the $40/month parking?

Last edited:
after reading thru this, it's just depressing..

Management at AA squeezed out a ton of productivity from the pilots (looks like the AWA guys jumped on it!).. and gave them an "hourly" raise that lines up with DAL.. Had they just waited for a section six, they'd have done a lot better for themselves. The problem is not just how much you get paid, but HOW you clock those hours?? I can't believe this crap.

I sure hope this doesn't poison our negotiations at HAL... thanks AA! (not)

HA25 gets it. Years ago as a 135 pilot we dreamed of 80 hours wide body pay in 9 days/ month. Then it became more like 12 days per month. Finally it looked like most of us would have to settle for 80 hours narrow body in 14 days per month. Now I think the new reality for us junior line holders is 75 to 80 hours of pay in 16 days per month.

after reading thru this, it's just depressing..

Management at AA squeezed out a ton of productivity from the pilots (looks like the AWA guys jumped on it!).. and gave them an "hourly" raise that lines up with DAL.. Had they just waited for a section six, they'd have done a lot better for themselves. The problem is not just how much you get paid, but HOW you clock those hours?? I can't believe this crap.

I sure hope this doesn't poison our negotiations at HAL... thanks AA! (not)

I thought if they turned this down, they had already agreed to arbitration on the combined contract.

Lear, I was one of the few (115) PHX guys who was totally against extending this turd till 2020 and am being grilled for it. Tell your USAPA buddies to give us our merger fund back, it will make NIC II that much easier for you to swallow....

This is a tragedy. The one F'n time in the past 15 years the industry is making record profits and then this.

Wow.

American is mostly composed of old guys who are about to retire. Did anyone really think this was going to get rejected? And what up phoenix? Thought you guys were badasses. You practically gang raped Doug for the money.

Latest resources

Back