• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captjim

Reports: AMR conditionally
willing to merge seniority lists

Jan. 28, 2003--AMR Corp. has submitted a counterproposal in response to a union request to merge the seniority lists at American Airlines and American Eagle, the company's $1.3 billion-a-year regional airline operation, according to several published reports.

The Allied Pilots Association, the union representing American's mainline pilots, proposed to AMR Corp. last year that all AMR flying be done by American Airlines pilots. This proposal included a flow-through agreement for existing Eagle pilots and a provision for returning American's furloughed pilots back to the cockpit--of regional jets--as new aircraft came on line. American currently has more than 1,000 pilots on furlough.

The three-phase plan was quickly dismissed by the company, but AMR reportedly made an offer this week to merge the seniority lists, but only if it cost the airline nothing, presumably meaning that Eagle pilots would continue to fly at their contract rates. One published report indicated that AMR also wants authority to fly more regional jets as part of the deal. Eagle's pilots are represented by the Air Line Pilots Association.

One American Eagle executive, president Peter Bowler, warned that merging the lists could result in the sale of Eagle's assets if further downsizing occurred at AMR, according to an article published in Saturday's Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Despite its classification as a commuter airline, Eagle is a large operation and generates 7.7 percent of AMR Corp.'s total revenue. It operates a fleet of regional jet and turboprop aircraft. Eagle reported an increase in traffic of 11 percent for 2002.

So what do you guys know?

captjim said:
One American Eagle executive, president Peter Bowler, warned that merging the lists could result in the sale of Eagle's assets if further downsizing occurred at AMR...
Okay, I'm dense. How does he figure a merger of lists will result in a possible sale of assets?

In case of another round of furloughs at the mainline, resulting in a large # of flow backs into the RJs, and the associated costs of 500-1000 training cycles. He is saying that if that becomes reality, AMR will simply sell Eagle to negate the entire deal. Of course, something else to remember is that a lot of management jobs would probably end if a merger were to take place. However all of this is moot anyway untill the Eagle MEC joins the negotiations, and I would be willing to bet that Hell will freeze before the membership votes to accept a list staple below all of the TWA people. The feeling around Eagle is that we would rather walk away and be spun off instead of becoming furlough fodder for TWA.

Steve

Gee, do ya think old Peter is worried about losing his job? Think about the cost savings realized by AMR by eliminating a layer of management, crew sked, dispatch, chief pilots, MOC and on and on. Probably some money left over to purchase a few RJs and make the company competitve again. I have never understood how "management" generates revenue? I thought it was the aircrews flying pax in airplanes. Just my 2 pennies worth.

mckpickle said:
Jesus Chri$t. Hey CONTINENTAL PILOTS WAKE THE F UP. This could have been us years ago

I hear ya, mckpickle...but it's not too late.

In fact, with the industry like it is, now is probably the best time to get a SSL by a majority vote.. More people realize the importance of a SSL now than in '98.

I am one of the 96 mainline pilots furloughed right now. As long as the staple doesn't mean more will be furloughed from the bottom of Express, I say let's do it. I am prepared to stay out as long as it takes to get a new 'quality' contract signed.

I will not be taking the Express recall or the Commutair deal with hopes of returning to CAL in the next several years. With a SSL in place, I would only expect to return to mainline as the airline grows (?) and not at the expense of another pilot.

Last edited:
FastPilot said:
I would be willing to bet that Hell will freeze before the membership votes to accept a list staple below all of the TWA people.

I bet many people felt the same way before the Eagle pilots signed their infamous 16 year contract!

Funny how they didn't want this two years ago, huh? Just another attempt by the mainline pilots to take the regional pilot's jobs away so they don't have to be furloughed. I hope the regional guys don't fall for this trick. Good luck guys.

FastPilot said:
The feeling around Eagle is that we would rather walk away and be spun off instead of becoming furlough fodder for TWA.

I think that's a moot point. AMR has no intention of creating a new seniority list that will cause any retraining of Eagle pilots into AA airplanes. Obviously until AA starts hiring again Eagle guys won't be flowing up in any way. By the same token AMR won't create a seniority list that'll result in significant back-flow. The only possibility, and I don't say likliehood, is that AMR will purchase RJ170s or something like that and have AA pilots fly it at some payscale close to Eagle. In the meantime Eagle would still get 50-seat jets.

I don't know what will happen. I think we're likely to see a major airline fail at some point and that'll change everything again.

Dude

PilotMonkey said:
I bet many people felt the same way before the Eagle pilots signed their infamous 16 year contract!

The difference is that then they had ammunition to threaten the different pilot groups that were trying to merge. The feeling among many was that we needed them. They were scared. It's the opposite now. We are angry and spitefull, as well as mobilized to form a concensous. I don't think this pilot group has ever been so unified. Now everyone realizes that they need us, and MANY are excited about the prospect of getting spun off. We'll see what happens.

Steve

Latest resources

Back