• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA Welcomes CommutAir Pilots!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A chorus of dispatchers ragging on ALPA, how original.

Nothing better to do? I don't make it a habit of trolling Flight Attendant boards mocking their representation nor the lack thereof. It just doesn't affect my world enough to really care.
There really seems to be a need of some serious reading comprehension testing with some of you guys.

First, DX Rick is a pilot...

Secondly, where did I mock? I ragged on ALPA's tactics and the chest thumpers who talk down to those who choose not to organize....yet you missed the part where I congratulated CommutAir on moving forward with the wishes of an overwhelming majority and choosing to organize.

I'm as even-handed as they come...I just grow tired of the general stupidity that gets spewed around here.

From a member of the 2003 ALPA organizing committee at CommutAir, congrats. It was five years late in coming, but better late than never.

Best of luck in negotiations. No matter which union represents you, being covered by a CBA is far better than being without.

Representation and self-governing are not the same thing, FWIW. But I get the intent of the wanting to pariticpate in the process somehow...

Yeah, the retards are leaving and the intelligent are joining.

Kind of like all the retards at Skywest and Colgan that voted.

Um....the self-governance construct suggests the ability to directly make change in one's environment without the need for external approval; it is entirely an internal locus of control. Representation is the ability to influence the decision-makers but cannot exact change alone; it implicitly admits external locus of control. If MECs could make change on their own, they would not need ALPA not would they have to confer with management to seek changes to whatever ails them. I think union membership is more akin to a representative democracy...have a say, but the outcome is dependent on those who you vote on, and those who you do not (checks/balances).

Um....the self-governance construct suggests the ability to directly make change in one's environment without the need for external approval; it is entirely an internal locus of control. Representation is the ability to influence the decision-makers but cannot exact change alone; it implicitly admits external locus of control. If MECs could make change on their own, they would not need ALPA not would they have to confer with management to seek changes to whatever ails them.
just wanted to clarify from my experience with ALPA...although ALPA technically does have the right, via the president's "signature", to exact control over the MECs, that is hardly ever done. The individual MECs in ALPA really do operate within a self governance environment in which ALPA national is a resource, rather than a body that exerts control.

Local MECs cannot change anything at-will, in fact I'd be willing to bet they can change little of their own accord, without either involving national or airline management. The 'hardly ever done' note is interesting for it's the same rationale SkyWesters use for remaining union-free but that comes under fire for "what can be" and "what is" arguments. The original post said something along the lines of welcome to self-governance...I simply do not think that is the case; perhaps self-empowered to recommend change I'd buy. Also, I thought there were external rules--a national Constitution--that goverened actions of both MECs and members; any amount of external control limits self-governement. I'm just squawking over the use of the term--it's misleading if not incorrect. It is representation and quasi-governance, but from what little I know/infer, not self-governing.

DX Rick is a dispatcher! Don't let him fool you!
Nothing get's by you, does it? Oxygen Thief.

Dispatch ticket never expires.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back