• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PCL_128

Release #08.025
May 20, 2008

CommutAir Pilots Vote ALPA
NMB Election Results Show Overwhelming Support for Union

WASHINGTON – The National Mediation Board (NMB) announced today that the pilots of CommutAir have selected the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA) as their bargaining representative. According to the NMB, 107 of 118 eligible voters cast a ballot in support of ALPA, well above the threshold required for certification. Prior to the election, the CommutAir pilots were unrepresented.

“We welcome the CommutAir pilots into ALPA, and applaud the strength and unity those pilots showed by voting in a strong, international union as their representative,” said Capt. John Prater, president of ALPA. “We look forward to their active involvement in all of the Association’s activities.”

Capt. Shawn Marcin, one of the leaders of the CommutAir Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee who attended the NMB vote count, added, “We thank all of our pilots who supported the drive, and all of the ALPA volunteers who gave their time and energy to make this happen. Our goal now is to focus that energy on negotiating a collective bargaining agreement that protects our pilots and allows CommutAir to continue growing.”

CommutAir operates as Continental Connection, flying to 23 destinations throughout the Upper Midwest and Northeast from its base in Cleveland. Approximately 135 pilots fly the Bombardier Q200 for CommutAir.

Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world’s largest pilots union representing 55,000 pilots at 40 airlines in the United States and Canada.

# # #

Contacts: Pete Janhunen, Linda Shotwell, Molly Martin, 703/481-4440 or [email protected]

Yeah, the retards are leaving and the intelligent are joining.
Yet another stellar example of great ALPA recruiting. Just insult those who aren't members...that will reel them in!

(I know, I know...the level of insanity with the USAPA thing is extremely high...)

What's 2% of $18/hr?

when will they get their raise? how much will it be? also, how much new flying will this help them win?

Yet another stellar example of great ALPA recruiting. Just insult those who aren't members...that will reel them in!

(I know, I know...the level of insanity with the USAPA thing is extremely high...)

I'm not insulting those who aren't members. I'm insulting USCABA supporters specifically.

when will they get their raise? how much will it be? also, how much new flying will this help them win?

Win flying? What the hell does that even mean? Management procures flying, not pilots.

We asked for ALPA, they didn't recruit us. Furthermore, the drive, which ALPA did help with, was truly unnecessary. I would have bet that if we voted the day after we proved to the NMB that there was enough interest to seek representation the totals would've been the same.

We are trying to do the best for ourselves and our families and also help out the future bottom feeders that come to work here.

What we have done is nothing that the all ALPA members current and former have done in the past for themselves.

Any pilot group now a day that is actually trying to raise the bar should be commended and any organization that will stand besides that pilot group to help facilitate that change should be commended as well.

As far as a time line for success. Well we have nothing to loose really we fly to 23 cities as of today we are the 2nd lowest paid 37 seat carrier out there and the other perks such as travel and 401k health care are weak at best, and I'll just not even bother with our work rules, things that most carriers just take for granted. Anything, no matter how long it takes will be an improvement a drastic improvement.

Latest resources

Back