Albino Stretch Eights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T-Gates said:
Per the FAA Part 125 Carriers cannot advertise thier aircraft or services. Don't ask me why, thats just what I have heard.

That's what makes them Part 125 instead of part 121. Part 121 is for common carriers. If you advertise to the general public, you are a common carrier. The upside to Part 125 is that there is a much, much smaller regulatory burden, the downside is that you have to do business in exclusive contracts or other forms of non-common carriage.

Actually, I believe Murray is going from a 125 certificate to a 121 certificate. I think the 125 was limiting what they could do with the airplanes (or limiting what they could legally).

Thus, the transition to 121. Like A Squared said, it's not just minor differences between the two.

iaflyer

Re: 121

iaflyer said:
Actually, I believe Murray is going from a 125 certificate to a 121 certificate. I think the 125 was limiting what they could do with the airplanes (or limiting what they could legally).

Thus, the transition to 121. Like A Squared said, it's not just minor differences between the two.

iaflyer

Mabye thats why they're hiring (from what I hear). Because If I remember right, aren't some of the -8 captains waaaay over 60? I saw some of those guys and they looked pretty old and tired.

Re: Re: 121

T-Gates said:
Mabye thats why they're hiring (from what I hear). Because If I remember right, aren't some of the -8 captains waaaay over 60? I saw some of those guys and they looked pretty old and tired.

Quite likely, there is no age limit for Part 125, My company has a part 125 oeration and there's a captain and a co-pilot over 60 flying for the Part 125 side. Of course neither are eligible for for the Part 121 flying

Well, they have my resume by now...

Got to watch one of those DC-8's climb out
the other day from my spot on the rivers
2...IMHO one of the prettiest airliners ever
built.

Gotta wonder how those airbusses will be
doing when they get that mature!

Last edited:
My understanding is the diesel 8 has an unlimited lifetime airframe. I'm sure someone could elaborate. I'd love to go back and fly that pig.

Check again. Sadly, all of the classics now have life limits per SFAR. Unfortunately, most will not see the time/cycle limit but will be retired due to environmental reasons.

Once again the federal brain trust
thinks that it knows more about
airplanes than the engineers that
slaved over it with their pencils
and sliderules...

They have better things to do, like
getting the tsa to quit slowing up
the FFDO program!

Where are people like old man
Douglas, Ed Heinemann and the
that lot when you really need them?

The end of an era by government
fiat...what bull$hit!

cargoflyr69 said:
Anyone know where the Albino 8's go from STL? Well, for that matter how many Murray has, what their route structure looks like, and if they take jumpseaters? I looked at their website and there is no mention of the 8's anywhere.

The most I have seen at YIP is 3. 2 with the straight pipes and 1 with the CFM-56. The standard rumor I hear around the water cooler at my company is they do contract work for Chrysler. I guess that could be changing if they go 121. They also have a couple of the saab-340's there now too(in addition to the j-stream and the CASAs).-kingaira90

Flex said:
My understanding is the diesel 8 has an unlimited lifetime airframe. I'm sure someone could elaborate. I'd love to go back and fly that pig.

Correct, The DC-8 is double riveted in a bunch of places on the airframe that take most of the stress load. GREAT airplane

Latest resources

Back