Airtran Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

V1rowt8

What is the status of the current contract negotiations? Is there any headway being made? What sections have been closed if any? I am aware of when the current contract was amendable but am hoping that there will be some progress in the near future. I have been swimming in the airtran pool for a while and have gotten word from their HR that they may be hiring in the first part of 2010. Any info much appreciated.

About half is finished, but the big stuff (scope, scheduling, compensation, retirement) is still left. Hopefully something in the first quarter, but probably more like the second.

The current status is somewhere between a TA and a strike in the next six months.

I think there will be a TA in the next six months, But the question is how good it will be and how likely it is to pass??? So far they have a little over half the sections TA'd.

They have started to upgrade again so that has started a bit of movement. There was a rumor that there would be a class next month of 60ish, which included 20 recalls, 20 pool and 20 new interviewees. I'm not sure how that will play out now with Skywest doing some of the flying though???

All I can say is good luck and make sure you have some money saved up if you get the offer because things could get really messy in the next 6 months.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully things won't get messy. The times that I have commuted on AT I was treated great from the gate agents to the crew. With all of the potential AT has it would sure be a shame for management to mess this one up.

Other than the contract negotiations how is the quality of life, expected days off, reserve utilization? Is the staffing level typically adequate or understaffed? What are the long term growth plans? Of course there will be some that will never be happy, but what is the general consensus of the majority? Hopefully not over redundant but trying to make a well informed decision for my family. Thanks again.

Airtran is planning on 2010 capacity to be 3-4% higher than 2009 capacity measured in terms of ASMs. The 36 daily departures by Skywest already announced will amount to approximately 1% of Airtran's 2010 ASMs. Using 3-4% of approximately 1500 bidding pilots, there looks to be a need of approximately 40-60 more pilots on the property (vs 2009 summer staffing levels) to make through the summer busy period. The question for guys in the pool is how many guys come back from long term leave or take the recall this time around. The more guys that come back, the less guys will get called from the pool.

Over the last 3 months, Airtran has posted 30 CA and 24 FO vacancies. A good part of these vacancies have been filled by transitions between 717 and 737 or vice versa. We should have another few months of vacancies to finish up all the shuffling and bringing up staffing levels to handle the summer flying.

Other than the contract negotiations how is the quality of life, expected days off, reserve utilization? Is the staffing level typically adequate or understaffed? What are the long term growth plans? Of course there will be some that will never be happy, but what is the general consensus of the majority? Hopefully not over redundant but trying to make a well informed decision for my family. Thanks again.

V1,
The quality of life on res sucks, especially if you commute. If you live in ATL it is much better. Right now they own you 20 days a month. You will sit ready res most every month for 6 hrs at a time. I am res and get used most of the time. Some months I don't see the crash pad at all. AAI is typically understaffed, and it puts them in a bind sometimes during holidays and IROPS. All in all it will be a good place if we get a decent TA and don't have to strike to get it. Labor/Management relations is a nightmare. Most of the senior folks are happy and most of the junior folks are not. Last TA was top heavy. I expect the new TA to fix that. If you have the option personally I would go somewhere else or at least wait and see what the new TA brings. Progression will be slow unless we have a massive growth spurt. I just don't see the market out there for that. We have a great group of guys here. We also have the typical token 10%'ers. Attrition is only about 12 to 15 per year based on date of birth. If you have any other questions pm me and I will try to answer them. Overall it is an easy job though. If you show up on time and fly under the radar you never get messed with. Good luck with your decision.

No one is going to sign anything less than Alaska or HA's new TA rates among other things. TA 2 in 2007 doesnt even come close to todays rates that are required to get a TA passed.

Latest resources

Back