Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran and their "500 PIC part 121" requirement?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard that JetBlue intentionally want a variety of experience in the cockpit, and they try to get 1/3 mil, 1/3 121 and 1/3 91/135.
I'd say that's about right, although I think it might be a little more heavy on the military side (especially navy!)

Guppie,

You may find that funny, but it's a true statement!

I guess to be PIC for someone doing Air Tran subservice without the 500 turbine PIC is okay, but it is not okay to be right seat for actual Air Tran.[/QUOTE]

Some of us who flew AirTran subservice at Miami Air also fit that discription!:rolleyes:

Diversity

Do you disagree? Or do you feel that this policy will ENHANCE a diverse flight deck?
I guess we can all look for reasons that SWA would require a type.
I view it is a way to seek out pilots:
-who will not fail a upgrade check in the 737 when the time comes
-who are willing to risk something to get the job
-with an entrepreneurial spirit
-who don't have a sense of entitlement

It was my understanding that they are screening for a certain mindset with the type requirement. I could be wrong, however.

The fact that you see it as a racism/sexism thing is disappointing. I am curious why the cockpit (lest we use that term) should be used as a diversity platform. Shouldn't it be used as a safety platform and nothing else?

Believe it or not they actually have blacks and women working there (ooh, aahhhh, gasp),...as pilots.

Don't freaking jump on me dude.
lighten up francis

BigFlyr said:
I guess to be PIC for someone doing Air Tran subservice without the 500 turbine PIC is okay, but it is not okay to be right seat for actual Air Tran.

Some of us who flew AirTran subservice at Miami Air also fit that discription!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That may be true but AirTran isn't paying for your training. AirTran believes they have better success hiring people with 500hr PIC 121, and it's AirTrans call, get over it.

Fly-By-Cable said:
AirTran training and especially checking is very intense...that is doubled when you go through upgrade. Reason: in early days of VJ quite a few DC9's were banged up by not very sharp people. (trying to be nice here)

Now, I personally disagree with this policy, simply because if it was implemented a year early I would still be an FO at a regional. I also have tons of friends who do not meet the new requirements, and as much as I've tried, there is nothing I can do for them.
So...what you're saying is...that you are one of those "not very sharp people" that was allowed in before they slammed the gate? That's the way it seems to me. BTW, I find it hard to believe that ANY training that takes as long as most 121 carriers is difficult in the least for a halfway competent pilot.

DonVerita said:
Granted...the JB website could be a bit more clear on the issue, but in the real world it is Part 121 PIC Turbine that large jet airlines are looking for.
Don,

Your opinion above does not jive with the facts. Take the minimums listed at face value. I personally know of at least 3 guys hired at Jetblue in the last 8 months with no airline or military background. The minimum requirements are the requirements listed on the Jetblue website. Notice the turbine time does not specify 121, and is separate from the PIC requirement. You may be in a more competitive bracket without military or airline background, but you are still hirable if you meet the minimums.

Murk

cornbread said:
I guess we can all look for reasons that SWA would require a type.
I view it is a way to seek out pilots:
-who will not fail a upgrade check in the 737 when the time comes

I would submit to you that having a quickie 737 type rating does not ensure success when you upgrade.

FracCapt said:
I find it hard to believe that ANY training that takes as long as most 121 carriers is difficult in the least for a halfway competent pilot.
Tell that to the prior Midway, Vanguard and CCAir pilots who have busted a ride at AirTran. Not to pick on those guys in particular, but the training here is intense, as anyone who had gone through. The DC-9 CAPT pass rate was less then 50% for a while.

The success rate has gone way up as of a few months ago, after a training manager left for Virgin USA.

-9 Capt said: "but the training here is intense, as anyone who had gone through. The DC-9 CAPT pass rate was less then 50% for a while.

The success rate has gone way up as of a few months ago, after a training manager left for Virgin USA."

I should say, that speaks more to the training department than the new hires or people upgrading.

While jumpseating to ATL in June the AAI capt who was kind enough to give me the ride and I were discussing training. He told me that Air Tran still had a 40% or so bust rate. But he put the "blame", as it were, on the instructors, not the pilots. Said there were some instructors from a certain (now defunct) airline that held to some very old school beliefs.

Latest resources

Back