Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran and their "500 PIC part 121" requirement?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GE CF34-3B1

Looking at Airtran's minimum requirements... http://www.airtran.com/aboutus/employ/pilot.jsp

I see - "121 PIC or military equivalent - 500 hours"

So, basically Airtran will only hire Regional/Commuter Captains and military pilots.

What about all the other corporate, fractional, and small freight pilots, etc, etc?

Is this really a hard and fast requirement?

And what about those of us who are captains at ATA who will be flying subservice for them but don't yet have 500 PIC turbine? Or the Ryan guys for that matter??

I guess to be PIC for someone doing Air Tran subservice without the 500 turbine PIC is okay, but it is not okay to be right seat for actual Air Tran.

GE CF34-3B1 said:
What about all the other corporate, fractional, and small freight pilots, etc, etc?

Is this really a hard and fast requirement?
I called and asked....they say it IS a hard and fast requirement, and any resumes not meeting those mins will be sh!tcanned. I guess they would rather have a guy with 500PIC in a BE1900 than 2500 PIC jet, in my case. Oh well.....screw 'em! It's obviously some jacka$$ in HR making this call rather than a pilot who would be smart enough to know that it doesn't matter.

FracCapt said:
I called and asked....they say it IS a hard and fast requirement, and any resumes not meeting those mins will be sh!tcanned. I guess they would rather have a guy with 500PIC in a BE1900 than 2500 PIC jet, in my case. Oh well.....screw 'em! It's obviously some jacka$$ in HR making this call rather than a pilot who would be smart enough to know that it doesn't matter.
Actually, that decision was made by the VP of Flight Operations, who is not only a current line pilot but also a DE for the 737.

Personally, I don't agree with his decision. I have worked hard to get many non-121 PIC's onboard, but you, I am sure, would be different. Maybe you should just call him up yourself and tell him what you are telling us.

I am sure that he would be impressed with your intuitive grasp of the situation, and your obvious charm and winning ways. I am sure that he would immediately see your point, and cause him to reconsider that decision right away.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was just asking this question from a curiosity standpoint.

To me, it seems like this might be a borderline "unfair" hiring practice. Basically Airtran is saying that we will only hire Captains from the commuters, and military pilots... and no other pilots. That leaves a huge spectrum of pilots that they are automatically eliminating.

Ty Webb said:
Maybe you should just call him up yourself and tell him what you are telling us.

I am sure that he would be impressed with your intuitive grasp of the situation, and your obvious charm and winning ways. I am sure that he would immediately see your point, and cause him to reconsider that decision right away.:rolleyes:
Sure...give me a phone number where I can reach him, and I'll call him and tell him exactly what I think. Seriously. I wouldn't be too worried about what he thought about ME, but I would make it clear that he's missing out on tons of great pilots by adding stupid requirements such as this.

If you feel it necessary, you can PM me with his phone number instead of posting it here.

I'm sure you wouldn't agree with him that guys with thousands of hours of PIC jet are not incompetent just because they don't have 500 PIC in a BE1900...right?

Hi!

AirTran requires 500 121, and SWA requires a type rating.

If U want to work there, get the qualifications.

I really don't like either one (I don't have either one), but it doesn't matter.

You may be able to go to both if U just wait until the pilot hiring situation gets tougher for them, and they may change the requirements. AirTran changed to this requirement after they received a mass of applications from highly qualified pilots. When it thins out, they will probably change.

Example:
I received a letter from Comair saying I wasn't qualified.
8 years later, after not flying for 8 years, they told me I was very highly qualified and they'd love to interview me.

Interesting.

CLiff
YIP

atpcliff hit the nail on the head. It's all about supply and demand in this industry. I got hired at ASA 7 years ago when there was a huge need for pilots. I only had 1500 total and 100 multi, but that was good enough. Now, that experience wouldn't get you a phone call.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back