• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran 717s to fly for Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thing is, Delta's not merging with AirTran.

If the fragmentation language is triggered, it becomes a merger for the people that go with the airplanes.

If the fragmentation language is triggered, it becomes a merger for the people that go with the airplanes.

Didn't Valuejet buy old Delta DC9s? Did Delta pilots come with them? If they go 20 per year and SWA gets 20 plus 737s per year, I don't see any fragmentation problems, rather an asset sale. If all 88 went in one day, maybe..... And that doesn't make sense. SWA's ATL presence would be decimated in one day. Btw, there are other 717s out there via Boeing that could be used first. I believe Boeing owes DL money for late 787 delays, and they own the leases on the 717s. How could the fragmentation policy be in effect if SWA returns the 717s to the Lessor? If AT didn't own them, and they go to the lessor and get mx and a new paint job, how again can you use fragmentation? You don't own them. What if half went to DL and the other half Air Serbia? Do you get to choose?

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:
Well son...if the SLI had been done with fair and equitable adhered to, as was written, then "you hold what you can hold on the 737" wouldn't be so much of an an issue now would it? But since we had all of our 737 CA seats stolen from us and had a large chunk of our global seniority taken as well, all while a gun was being pointed at our heads, it's not as easy of a picture to paint as you portray it to be.

Well Gramps....why don't you go change out your depends and take another dose of your fiber. It must be close to 8 pm so it is past your bed time!!!

You can cry about fair and equitable and stolen seats but the bottom line is 86 percent of your group voted FOR SL10. So it must have been tolerable to some....

Didn't Valuejet buy old Delta DC9s? Did Delta pilots come with them?

Of course not. Delta was growing like mad at the time. Those pilots all still had Delta positions.

If they go 20 per year and SWA gets 20 plus 737s per year, I don't see any fragmentation problems, rather an asset sale.

Agreed, which is why I said "if" the fragmentation language was triggered. A swap of aircraft (717s for 737-800s, for example) would not trigger the fragmentation language.

If all 88 went in one day, maybe..... And that doesn't make sense. SWA's ATL presence would be decimated in one day.

Agreed. Like I said, this is all just academic. I don't see the airplanes going anywhere, and if they did, it would be a swap, not a reduction in the size of the fleet. Hence, no fragmentation.

The planes are owned by Boeing, not SWA. If they are returned to Boeing before they go somewhere else, can you fight to be a Boeing pilot? How does that work on leased vs owned planes? What if Boeing wanted them back tomorrow and SWA said ok?

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Can you post the fragmentation language?

Sorry, too lazy. :) The quick version is that the fragmentation language kicks in if airplanes that represent more than 30% of our block hours are transferred to another carrier within a 12 month period of time. If that happens, then the company is required to negotiate for the pilots to go with the planes, based on standard company staffing for that number of planes.

The planes are owned by Boeing, not SWA. If they are returned to Boeing before they go somewhere else, can you fight to be a Boeing pilot? How does that work on leased vs owned planes? What if Boeing wanted them back tomorrow and SWA said ok?

Doesn't matter. The language is written to include "a serious of transactions," not just direct transactions. The airplanes first going through Boeing to get to the new airline is still covered. Any sort of deal worked out in which the airplanes end up with another airline, even if it takes a dozen transactions to get there, triggers the language.

Sorry, too lazy. :) The quick version is that the fragmentation language kicks in if airplanes that represent more than 30% of our block hours are transferred to another carrier within a 12 month period of time. If that happens, then the company is required to negotiate for the pilots to go with the planes, based on standard company staffing for that number of planes.

So, 30% of 88 is like 26 or 27 per year. That probably could work. As I stated, there are others out there that could be added first to start the program in the desert now.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back