• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran 717s to fly for Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't remember the number of airframe retirements, but in any case, the company sent out a letter letting everyone know that regardless of whether the 717s leave or not, there will not be a reduction in the size of the fleet. So, if the 717s leave, it will only be at a rate that allows them to be replaced one-for-one, worst case scenario.

PCL- seems like this week is all about putting rumors to rest-
You and Lear seem to be very up on the language- is there any situation with the 717's where the pilots could go to the acquirer? Ie- delta, and have a choice?
Read: not circumvent the ISL, but give 2/3 of your group the chance to go to delta w/ the 717's and 1/3 stay at SWA-
I say no.
But had a malcontent pipe dreamer in the jump claiming this-
In any case, I see no situation where an AT pilot would be jobless or forced somewhere- and can see the benefit if AT pilots can actually get a chance to choose their destination airline- pretty good choice between delta and SWA, right? I just don't think it's possible. What say you? Am I right?

PCL- seems like this week is all about putting rumors to rest-
You and Lear seem to be very up on the language- is there any situation with the 717's where the pilots could go to the acquirer? Ie- delta, and have a choice?
Read: not circumvent the ISL, but give 2/3 of your group the chance to go to delta w/ the 717's and 1/3 stay at SWA-
I say no.
But had a malcontent pipe dreamer in the jump claiming this-

Well, the pipe dreamer is technically correct, but only under certain circumstances, and I would say that it's all more academic rather than practical, since I don't see a situation developing where it would happen.

Basically, our language says that if the company works out a deal (either direct or multi-transaction) that offloads 30% or more of our fleet within a 12 month rolling clock, then the company is required to negotiate for our pilots to go with the airplanes, using ALPA Merger Policy or Allegheny-Mohawk to determine the integration, as applicable. So, it would take a big asset sale within a short period of time to trigger the language. There are no indications that anything like that is in the works. Quite the opposite, actually.

In any case, I see no situation where an AT pilot would be jobless or forced somewhere- and can see the benefit if AT pilots can actually get a chance to choose their destination airline- pretty good choice between delta and SWA, right? I just don't think it's possible. What say you? Am I right?

I agree. I don't see any situation where AirTran pilots would have their jobs at risk. The only risk for AirTran pilots is in the captain seats if the 717s disappear, and I think that's what is causing a lot of the anxiety right now. But I think it's important to note that it's highly unlikely that even if a deal is arranged, that the transfer would happen right away or quickly. It would take years. Everyone should take a deep breath and relax.

Knowing the dynamics of Delta and how well they are doing maybe the Air Tran Pilots would be better off at Delta. Upgrade at WN is upward of 20 years. Delta might not be as long. Delta made a Billion last year WN is projecting a loss in quarter 1 this year. Maybe ALPA should fight for them to go.

Latest resources

Back