• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

airline to corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Made the switch about 6 mos. ago. I am for sure better off now. Quality of life is a world of difference. No dealing with scheduling, unions, crappy management, uniforms, and commuting. I am gone about 4 nights per month and have not worked a weekend. Pay is a little better. The boss is great to work with and the upper management couldn't be better. The FBO's generaly treat you better than the ramp agents (especially mainline). It's nice to fly an airplane that is clean and does not smell like.................well..........I guess nothing that compares to a regional turboprop. I have to admit I was fortunate to find a great 91 job.

Great thread. I'm in the same boat as the thread starter. Im at a 121 carrier and I need to move on to bigger and better things. I have no contacts where I am now but I'm pretty much tied to the Northeast tri state area. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

not all corporate is equal..

the $200,000/yr 5 days away from home a month, GV jobs are the rarity.. the majority are $80-90K some schedule and benefits, and some are 24/7 on call, and slim benefits bottom dwellers.

Interview them as much as they interview you..

Corporate pilots who really love there jobs tend to keep quiet about them. Most 1st tier Corporate flight departments and individuals tend to stay away from hiring airline pilots because of the inherent culture differences (not trying to be a jerk by saying this). Usually corporate flt. dept. managers do not like the hoo ra card carrying union member attitude. In my opinion the best job in aviation is that of a corporate pilot. But lets keep this a secret and let those guys making 40 grand for 100 hr months and staying in fleabag hotels think they got a leg up on us.

I left 121 after 10 years at several airlines about 2 years ago. I don't regret the decision. There is no question that the lifestyle at a good corporate operator is 100 times better. Great schedule, plenty of time off, very few overnights. (no pager here)

I do, however, tend to watch CNBC a little bit more these days. When it is no longer the primary business of your company to fly airplanes -- then it is easy to be nervous about the long-term viability of the flight department.

Beyond that I miss some of the standardization and overall commitment to safety that the airlines had (at least at the majors if not the commuters).

The money is not fantastic and the upgrade is a little longer than I would like. But it is amazing what being home in your own bed with your wife and kid do to your perceptions. I'm not sure I could ever go back to 4-day trips again.

What about stability. I think the airlines have much more stability to offer. Yea I know 9-11 screwed everyone, but besides that once you got 5 or 10 years in with a major then your almost untouchable. (I know what about USAIR). All I am trying to say is that this is my 4th charter company and I fly with a lot of guys who used to have a GREAT corporate job. If I never would have left my regional job to go to a major in June of 01, then I would be sitting pretty.

There aren't very many good flying jobs anymore. All the excellent part 91 flight departments all went fractional, so the only thing you have left is charter.

All the great airlines are not ALL (LCC) low cost carriers that work the crap out of you for low pay.

A good flying job is a good flying job, it doesn't matter if it is corporate or airlines. Finding won is the trouble.

All the excellent part 91 flight departments all went fractional, so the only thing you have left is charter.
Really? If you stand in front of our hangar you can throw a rock and hit aircraft that belong to 3 or 4 excellent PT91 companies (great pay, schedule and equipment). If you walk down the taxiway there are a couple more. 30 minutes away is another airport with more excellent PT91 flight dept's...

heywatchthis: Airlines and stability should not be used in the same sentence.

I made the move from the airlines to corporate--but not by choice. I landed in a good situation and certainly won't be taking the recall when it comes and the number one reason for that is stability.

I can take my qualification as corporate captain and go anywhere and compete for a job as captain. My three years as captain at TWA got me exactly squat when applying for another airline job. (JetBlue was kind enough to offer me an interview 6 months after I got laid off and 18 months after I first applied--months after they had hired most of my former FO's. Thanks. :rolleyes: )

Keep in mind, the legacys are just now doing a little better but any hiccup (interrupted oil production in Iraq, maybe?) could send them back into their death spiral. That means you, newbie, hit the street along with thousands of others. (BTDT.)

To say that the Legacy pilots don't work as hard as the LCC's, have you looked at the workrules at UAL on the NB fleets? Howabout NWA's new contract or America West (yeah, I know what's painted on the side of their planes...)? Looks like LCC workrules to me.

Sure, it's not fun getting chewed because the hand towels are hung wrong or you have the wrong coffee on board or some ramp guy ripped the hook off the boss' hanging bag but it beats being unemployed. TC

Latest resources

Back