airline to corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

greasy8driver

I'm looking to hear from guys who have made this transition. I've worked for 121 airlines from cargo to regional capt for 11yrs. I may have an offer coming (thanks to networking) for a top notch part 91 ops. Though there are still some unanswered questions I have. I would like to hear from guys who have flown both and hear pros/cons.

Thanks,

This is a well travelled road lately. Thread search it and you should find a bunch of info. the short version from me: I did it. Best thing I ever did.

I am a firm believer that the best jobs in aviation belong to the corporate guys. I work for an a/c management company, and it's the best job I've ever had. And it is allowing me to network like crazy for bigger and better things down the road. All the corporate guys I've talked to who work for a reputable company, love their jobs and have no desire to leave their corporate jobs for an airline gig.

Although I must admit, having a hard schedule each month is something that I sometimes envy. :0

Last edited:
I went from 8 nights a month at home to 3-4 nights away from home.... I also make more money than a 20 year capt. at my previous regional airline.

-Free laptop computer
-Free cell phone
-All meals paid for on the road
-15 days vacation first year
-Wife welcome to come along on overnights
-Can participate in Kids lives again (priceless!)

Not bad for working 3-4 days a week flying a Citation!

Best move I ever made!

I did almost exactly the same thing as Chi Town and I too am happy with my decision. However, there is such a wide range of 91 operators out there, - you have to be careful and do your homework on your potential employer. There are Part 91 jobs that would almost certainly be much worse than airline "X" - 24/7 on call, won't pay for proper maintenance, pressure to go into bad wx, many "additional" non-flying duties, absolutely NO duty time limits, etc. You also have to be comfortable working in a job where you DON'T have union protection and my personal opinion is that with the right company, you don't need the extra security that may bring. I do feel that more Part 91 pilots are satisfied overall with their job than 121 pilots for whatever reasons.

Last edited:
A good corporate job beats any regional job, and I speak from experience. BUT.... like the dream job at the majors, very few airline jobs are dream jobs and very few corporate jobs are dream jobs.

Most corporate jobs are CRAP, or at least a version of CRAP. Hell most flying jobs are crap, but if you can get a good one, then go for it whether its airline or corporate.

A good flying job is a good flying job hands down. Finding out whether it will be a good flying job before you quit your current job... PRICELESS

Be Careful

If it is a "Fortune 500" company that is offering up the job you should be ok. If not, beware. I try to explain it like this. When looking at jobs at either the Majors or Corporate aviation 10% are really good gigs. The other 90% are not.
Good Luck.

A good corporate job beats any regional job, and I speak from experience. BUT.... like the dream job at the majors, very few airline jobs are dream jobs and very few corporate jobs are dream jobs.

Most corporate jobs are CRAP, or at least a version of CRAP. Hell most flying jobs are crap, but if you can get a good one, then go for it whether its airline or corporate.

A good flying job is a good flying job hands down. Finding out whether it will be a good flying job before you quit your current job... PRICELESS

One huge difference: You can't just go and get a "dream airline job". It takes about 20 years of uncertainty, management, furloughs, unions, 10-11 day off schedules, crappy hotels, etc. before you find yourself at your "dream airline job". What's more is that there are a lot of people who think that they don't even exist anymore.

I totally agree that there are a lot of pretty lousy corporate gigs out there, but relatively speaking you can try them on and move around if you don't like the one you've got(I said "relatively"). My last company had about 500 pilots, only about 2 of which had a "dream"ISH job. Where I am now? I know probably 12 pilots(from around our hangar and others as friends). I can firmly say that at least 8 of those 12 have a job that most airline pilots would murder for. I'll take luck over skill any day. It's just a totally different environment. you almost can't even consider them the same kind of job except that they both involve airplanes. The main difference for me: The company I work for now WANTS ME TO BE HAPPY.

Is there any such thing as a "dream airline job" anymore?

Everyone's priorities are different, but for me, leaving one of the so-called "legacy" carriers for a corporate job has been an incredible improvement in job quality.

Put a lot of thought into it, do a lot of research and really be sure of what you want out a flying career.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back