• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran gives 3 year old the boot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear, so can you tell us that spanking was a very effective way for you to learn as a child? A method that taught you to do the right thing all the time, or just when other people were watching. Did you feel the need to lie to your parents to save your a$$ sometimes? Did you ever feel the need to search out for your parents' acceptance? Because I think that's the message some kids inadvertently get when their parents are heavy into punishing and praise. But this is venturing into a whole other topic.

And we will never see DIRECT PROOF (as you stated) until our children are much older. Anger and separation grow with time, so let's talk when our kids are teenagers.

Next time when your child is acting out of control, keep your ego and need for control in check, and find a safe place for your child to deal with their rage or hold them if you need to so that no one gets hurt. After they calm down and even hours later, try talking to them about why their actions were unacceptable. I guarantee you this works! It may take a few times, but many parents have no objection to multiple time outs or spankings, so why not trying multiple discussions. My daughter has never been punished. We've worked through hair pulling, hitting, taking turns, etc, all the kid stuff, and she learns. It takes a little effort and self-control on the parent's part, but it works. For your children's sake, I want to reiterate that it is totally pointless to try to rationalize with them when they are raging, tired, or react to something they ate. Haven't you ever been really, really mad and had someone try to talk sense into you? Doesn't usually work well, since sometimes you just have to vent. Once you cool down, it's much easier to be rational. Please, just allow your kids the same. Give them a safe place and outlet where no one is getting hurt and let them vent.

Someday we will hopefully treat kids like we want to be treated. To put it in terms you'd better understand, when you got to your new airline job, you probably had to learn alot of new procedures. You likely had the benefit of studying them first, and then an instructor worked with you in the sim, and then you had IOE and then online. Even though you studied all the new procedures, you likely made mistakes throughout training and maybe still do occasionally have lapses of judgment. Would you prefer a gentle reminder of the proper technique, time off without pay, or lashing? Would you prefer I give you one warning and then a lashing? Maybe starting in training we can tally all your lapses in judgment and then subtract pay for each one?

Don't tell me child are different, because they are not. They are new to this new job of life and they are still learning the rules.

Excellent post. There is a difference between the application of physical discipline and physical abuse.
Most bleeding hearts just can't understand that. They think that any physical "correction" is abuse.
My wife and I have a friend who did not believe in punishing their dogs. It was funny to see her reaction when she met my puppy on a camping trip. She was amazed (shocked?) that a dog could be so well behaved. My dog behaves in this way because I used an age old, time tested system of reward and punishment to teach her what was acceptable and what was not.

I really don't understand how you all can justify hurting kids and animals. It's all abuse, when you are inflicting pain on another, especially creatures smaller who can't defend themselves. My dog is well-behaved as well, and he's never been hit. It's called Positive Dog Training. I'm just going to assume that you didn't know there is another way that doesn't involve pain...but now that you know, it's your responsibility to yourself to choose to go on hurting others or to re-evaluate your methods and use your mind instead of your hands.

Lear, so can you tell us that spanking was a very effective way for you to learn as a child?
I believe so. I'm not a criminal; I'm a functioning, respectable member of society and I love and respect my parents. That's about as much as we can possibly ask from our children, anything else is their business of how they live their lives.

A method that taught you to do the right thing all the time, or just when other people were watching. Did you feel the need to lie to your parents to save your a$$ sometimes? Did you ever feel the need to search out for your parents' acceptance? Because I think that's the message some kids inadvertently get when their parents are heavy into punishing and praise. But this is venturing into a whole other topic.
I didn't say it made a PERFECT child, it simply is more acceptable than just allowing kids to go wild with no boundaries.

And we will never see DIRECT PROOF (as you stated) until our children are much older. Anger and separation grow with time, so let's talk when our kids are teenagers.
OK. :)

Next time when your child is acting out of control, keep your ego and need for control in check, and find a safe place for your child to deal with their rage or hold them if you need to so that no one gets hurt. After they calm down and even hours later, try talking to them about why their actions were unacceptable. I guarantee you this works!
And I guarantee you it doesn't, not with a 3 year old. They don't remember what they were doing 5 minutes ago, much less hours ago. Punishment has to be done immediately in this age group, or it's completely ineffective.

I've seen people try this discipline method, and it works to a certain extent if you don't have a strong-willed child (girls are easier to discipline at young ages, we have one of both). If you DO have a strong-willed child (especially boys), I've yet to see this be effective - the kid usually ends up running all over the parent.

It may take a few times, but many parents have no objection to multiple time outs or spankings, so why not trying multiple discussions. My daughter has never been punished. We've worked through hair pulling, hitting, taking turns, etc, all the kid stuff, and she learns. It takes a little effort and self-control on the parent's part, but it works. For your children's sake, I want to reiterate that it is totally pointless to try to rationalize with them when they are raging, tired, or react to something they ate. Haven't you ever been really, really mad and had someone try to talk sense into you? Doesn't usually work well, since sometimes you just have to vent. Once you cool down, it's much easier to be rational. Please, just allow your kids the same. Give them a safe place and outlet where no one is getting hurt and let them vent.
You parent your way, I'll parent mine.

I simply ask that you don't tell me that spanking is somehow "wrong". If it's effective for my children, that's my business. NOT yours.

The whole point of how this discussion got started was that the child on the aircraft was UNCONTROLLABLE. The parents were NOT controlling the child, they were given adequate time to do so (5 minutes is PLENTY), and they didn't deal with the problem.

BOOM. Gone. Get off, have a nice day.

A quick couple of minutes in the bathroom would have solved this problem for my kids without incident.

Your mileage may vary, as it sounds like you'd have let the kid throw their tantrum.

Someday we will hopefully treat kids like we want to be treated. To put it in terms you'd better understand, when you got to your new airline job, you probably had to learn alot of new procedures. You likely had the benefit of studying them first, and then an instructor worked with you in the sim, and then you had IOE and then online. Even though you studied all the new procedures, you likely made mistakes throughout training and maybe still do occasionally have lapses of judgment. Would you prefer a gentle reminder of the proper technique, time off without pay, or lashing? Would you prefer I give you one warning and then a lashing? Maybe starting in training we can tally all your lapses in judgment and then subtract pay for each one?

Don't tell me child are different, because they are not. They are new to this new job of life and they are still learning the rules.
I WILL tell you children are different, because they are. They're blank slates with zero vocabulary skills until you teach them. NO comparison with a professional pilot in a new job.

To believe that children should automatically be able to understand and react as adults is assinine, but that's what you're advocating here?

You can't reason with an infant or toddler; to try and tell me you can is simply rediculous!!! I laugh every time I see a parent try to do this and then the kid goes and does whatever they were doing wrong again 5 seconds later. :rolleyes:

I've seen people try this discipline method, and it works to a certain extent if you don't have a strong-willed child (girls are easier to discipline at young ages, we have one of both). If you DO have a strong-willed child (especially boys), I've yet to see this be effective - the kid usually ends up running all over the parent.

I simply ask that you don't tell me that spanking is somehow "wrong". If it's effective for my children, that's my business. NOT yours.

Your mileage may vary, as it sounds like you'd have let the kid throw their tantrum.

I WILL tell you children are different, because they are. They're blank slates with zero vocabulary skills until you teach them. NO comparison with a professional pilot in a new job.

To believe that children should automatically be able to understand and react as adults is assinine, but that's what you're advocating here?

You can't reason with an infant or toddler; to try and tell me you can is simply rediculous!!! I laugh every time I see a parent try to do this and then the kid goes and does whatever they were doing wrong again 5 seconds later. :rolleyes:

I'd venture to say you didn't see this method done right. It's not letting the child do what they want (that's lazy parenting). It's about boundaries, structure and respect. Going both ways--for the parent and for the child.

I *will* say spanking is wrong and most likely, soon enough the law will tell you the same. There's enough proof that spanking is an ineffective form of punishment and likely contributes to the cycle of violence, so why should it be allowed to go on?

No, I wouldn't have stayed on the airplane. I would have caught the next flight, without hesitation. I don't believe in inconveniencing others while we sort out our issues.

It's an interesting stream of thought coming from you. You say children are a blank slate and need to be taught everything, and yet you don't seem to have much tolerance for their learning curve. By your logic, it would make sense to me that children should be given even more latitude for error. If adults know better, like say a professional pilot, there should be little to no tolerance for them?

But hey, you go on defending what you do. I truly believe you are doing the best you can with what you've got.

Last edited:
I believe so. I'm not a criminal; I'm a functioning, respectable member of society and I love and respect my parents. That's about as much as we can possibly ask from our children, anything else is their business of how they live their lives.

No one said you were a criminal...why are you trying to convince us that you aren't?

Love and respect is earned. Each of us, including toddlers, gets to decide who we love and respect. Hitting is a negative behavior and doesn't yield repsect. Its begets fear.

I think she is advocating understanding, compassion, patience, love, respect, trust.... you know...the positive characteristics of humans...

No you can't reason with a toddler.....so tell us how hitting is justifed in thier minds. How do they logically understand that being hit is right or good for them when it hurts mentally and physically? Do you look happy when you hit your child?

Hitting just like yelling or using profanity translates to a loss of control. It is a control tactic to get people to do what we want. For example in a place of business if a customer is not getting what they want they may use yelling and profanity. The business gives what s/he wants just to shut them up...

If you hit your child to modify thier behavior is it acceptable for them to hit thier siblings or friends when they want to modify others behavior? Would you hit your child for hitting thier sibling? Tell us, where in our shared society is hitting acceptable? The playground? Schools? Church? Work? In fact you go to the bathroom to hide your actions when you spank you child.

Hitting is a great way to get the behavior you want right now. But it also defines us as parents. Some parents see raising a child as a long term investment. They aren't looking for short term results. Many realize that it takes children a long time to grow & develop, but once they leave the nest they trust themselves and thier (now) adult children to makes the right choices for themslevles and society.

Have you explianed spanking to your child? Why it is being done? Does the child know the boundries of spanking? Do they understand the (double standard) that it is ok for you to hit them but they can't hit anyone? Even so... when they most likely do hit someone (becuase most humans reject double standards) do they know the limits of inducing pain? Where is the line drawn on administering pain to your children or others?

If you could get positive child behavior without hitting as many have, why wouldn't you attempt to do so?

Is hitting or spanking the only way?

Last edited:
No you can't reason with a toddler.....so tell us how hitting is justifed in thier minds. How do they logically understand that being hit is right or good for them when it hurts mentally and physically? Do you look happy when you hit your child?
I never said "hit" your child.

You're using a word in a negative context to deliberately skew the argument your way, when the context of my position has lent no such negativity.

Spanking is not for every situation. It's also never, ever done in anger.

You've avoided the question of whether you have kids; I'm going to guess that you don't.

When you do, we'll have this conversation again. Until then, debating this with you is like trying to have a systems argument with someone who's never flown that type of aircraft.

I'd venture to say you didn't see this method done right. It's not letting the child do what they want (that's lazy parenting). It's about boundaries, structure and respect. Going both ways--for the parent and for the child.
Of course you'd venture to say that. You're defending your position against spanking.

I *will* say spanking is wrong and most likely, soon enough the law will tell you the same. There's enough proof that spanking is an ineffective form of punishment and likely contributes to the cycle of violence, so why should it be allowed to go on?
Suuuuuuurrrrrre.

Spanking "illegal"? Not in the Deep South there, buddy. WAY to conservative for that type of Liberal bullsh*t a la' California.

And people wonder why kids are so screwed up.

No, I wouldn't have stayed on the airplane. I would have caught the next flight, without hesitation. I don't believe in inconveniencing others while we sort out our issues.
Good for you.

Obviously these parents didn't think the same way, and the crew reacted appropriately.

It's an interesting stream of thought coming from you. You say children are a blank slate and need to be taught everything, and yet you don't seem to have much tolerance for their learning curve. By your logic, it would make sense to me that children should be given even more latitude for error. If adults know better, like say a professional pilot, there should be little to no tolerance for them?
I never said there was little to no tolerance for them. I simply said that there is behavior that CANNOT be allowed and, when all other discipline options have failed, you have a choice. Let them continue to have their tantrum, or you can take the necessary disciplinary steps to stop it.

Otherwise, you TEACH them that their behavior WILL be allowed.

But hey, you go on defending what you do. I truly believe you are doing the best you can with what you've got.
As you can go on with your pacifist child rearing and hope and pray they somehow magically learn borders and accountability later in life once they are old enough to understand those wonderful lectures you must give (even though research clearly shows that patterns they set in early life are nearly impossible to change).

I truly believe you and the rest of the Walmart trailer trash raising kids I watch having tantrums are doing the best you can with your self-limited disciplinary options.

Who knows, you might get lucky with a passive and meek child and never have a problem. Good luck with that.

For all of you complaining about kids and how horrible it is to be on an airplane with them, get a grip, better yet get the bose headset. Oh thats
right you were the "perfect" child. No, you're that tool that walks through the airport "look at me i'm a pilot" Grow up! I've been that person that gets looked at because my kids may act up, and my response to you is find another seat or another flight yourself! I know your type, nothing is ever good enough for you or done right unless it's done your way. That's life accept it! And for 1900ca don't live in mco.

I was spanked as a child, with a switch when I was bad. Parental relationships aside (because that is not the subect of this thread), I consider myself one of the most respectful and courteous people in the world. I am also extremely stubborn, which is probably why I was spanked. As a child, I was stubborn just to be stubborn. Now, I am stubborn when I see it as being necessary.

Had I been "talked to" or "discussed" as a kid, I would have continued to do what I did, when and how I wanted to do it. Talking did not affect me one iota. And to a certain extent today, it still doesnt. Even today, things have to make sense for me to believe them. Most everything in aviation is rooted in common sense, which is why its so easy for me to understand and agree with everything, or if I dont, I at least follow the rules and have the confidence it is based in fact and good judgement (TSA notwithstanding) . As a young kid, I didnt have the mental capacities to reason like I do now. No amount of discussion would have convinced me I was doing something wrong. I just didnt care.

Spanking rules.

Last edited:
I don't blame the crew at all, its getting ridiculous what parents let their kids do onboard our flights, from gum to pen markings all over those nice leather recaro seats, just despicable. I say control your kids for the sake of everyone onboard the flight. Good job.

I agree completely! I was on a UA flight a couple weeks ago from SJC to ORD, and there was a family with 3 kids, one of which was litterally jumping off the arm rest into the aisle, over and over. Did the parent's do anything? Nope. Neither did the F/A's though... and finally the kid must have gotten tired and finally sat his a$$ down where he belonged.

Latest resources

Back