Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Traffic Controllers AVG $160,000 / Yr.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RJP said:
Here's a quiz for ya: What's the "F" in FAA stand for?

FEDERAL!

They, like the TSA (most of whom make more than first year regional pay), will have job security, guaranteed raises, COLA and a lovely retirement. All at the expense of our taxes.

While there's nothing wrong with them making a living, it sure doesn't seem right that their starting salaries are 4x higher than a that of the guy sitting in the right seat wondering why the vector they're on is taking them away from the field.
I'm gonna disagree. I've never been an Air Traffic Controller but I would think they have a tougher job juggling a multitude of aircraft than we do just flying the airplane.

As for age, mandatory retirement is 55, so subtract 20 years for a retirement would put you at a max age to start of 35. That's simply a SWAG.

Well,

A six figure salary?? Good on them. I still make a good living and guess what, beeetchin about somebody elses pay isn't going to make it better. Look no further than to yourself.

Best regards,

dane

46Driver said:
As for age, mandatory retirement is 55, so subtract 20 years for a retirement would put you at a max age to start of 35. That's simply a SWAG.
Don't know what a SWAG is. So, 35 is the oldest one can be and still become a controller?

English said:
Don't know what a SWAG is. So, 35 is the oldest one can be and still become a controller?
Not sure,

but I think its a "Scientific Wild A$$ Guess"!

Its very easy why the avg ATC makes $160k/yr, their salaries continue to increase while pilots salaries continue to decrease.

ATCs are in *demand*, they work for the govt for the most part and their job is considered highly stressful.

Airline Pilots = not in demand, work for corporations not the govt, not in demand, not in demand. :)

So I'm 30 years old and may be interested. Where do you start? Wouldn't mind a nice tower job in Ithica or Elmira, NY. I would be nice to watch others fly in the crap wx.

Last edited:
LearLove said:
So I'm 30 years old and may be interested. Where do you start? Wouldn't mind a nice tower job in Ithica or Elmira, NY. I would be nice to watch others fly in the crap wx.
Don't quit your day job:

a) Maximum Entry Age: As established in DPM 338-18, a maximum age of 30 years is established for entry into civilian air traffic control positions in the Federal Aviation Administration whose duties require that the employees be actively engaged in the separation and control of air traffic
See here for a little more info:

http://www.faa.gov/careers/employment/atc-quals.htm

I believe you must go through a college training program to recieve the FAA interview.

~wheelsup

I'm pretty sure you have to be no older than 31 in order to be hired by the FAA as a controller. Why the unusual age restriction? I dunno, but you may want to ask one of the controllers that Reagan canned in the 1980s, when they illegally went on strike. However, many military bases and some civilian towers hire on a contractural basis.

Latest resources

Back