Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Traffic Controllers AVG $160,000 / Yr.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To answer the assorted questions posted:

Currently max age for hire is 31. You can retire after 20 if you've reached age 50, otherwise, it's 25 years. The latest "plan" Marion released yesterday says ATC hiring will begin slowly next year, then ramp up to around 1000/yr after 2006. That's if they don't throw the budget away on another boondogle and Congress funds it. As far as I know, the only way in will be ex-military, or via one of the dozen or so College programs, which btw, are shut down right now. (I heard, no hiring at the moment) Max age to work live traffic or for first line Supe is 56, unless you got Grandfathered prior to the rule in '74 or thereabouts. Marion is making noises about issuing waivers to that rule to keep some of us around a few more years.

And don't get in a rip about signing up til after our contract gets re-newed next fall. Marion wants give-backs. Figure enverything you hear in the press is 40% truth, 40% exageration, and 20% pure fiction. Just like most contract talks I suppose...:rolleyes:

The whole Air Traffic Controller pay versus Airline Pilot Pay debate is really ridiculous.

First.... I DO NOT believe for a second that the "Average" Air Traffic Controller makes $160,000 a year any more than I believe the "Average" Pilot makes $250,000. Do some on both sides make this amount of money... of course, some even make MORE... but to "average" this out as fact is nothing short than literary exaggeration.

Second..... since the controllers are in essence regulated Government employees and Airline Pilots are employees of the private sector, how in the world can you even ATTEMPT to argue this silly pairing.

Finally... job pay has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING other than what the market will bear... period. Not even the whole "GOVT vs Private" pay can be argued as relevant.

A very poignant example would be this:

A NYC Firefighter (Govt Worker) slides down a pole, and risks his/her life running into burning buildings, saving lives, they "average" $50,000 a year.

A Stripper at Scores in NYC (Private Employee), swings on a pole in a building, gives lap dances, and they "average" $100,000 +++ a year.

Give it up... life will NEVER be fair...

Last edited:
Finally, The Answer I was looking for...

SCORES, NYC......What a place.. I guess its still going strong on the East Side. I can just see the STRIPPER (very vividly) telling the Fire Fighter to get a grip on the HOSE untill she gets off the Land Line....haha

I really wasnt trying to debate this issue, I merely wanted to pass along some information rather hastily as it turns out. You still have to wonder when the BLEEDING will STOP.

Vector4fun said:
As far as I know, the only way in will be ex-military, or via one of the dozen or so College programs, which btw, are shut down right now. (I heard, no hiring at the moment)
From what I understand, the only program that has been shut down is the MARC program. All the other CTI schools are still cranking out students, despite the fact that no hiring is taking place.

Stephanie

I graduated last week from a college with an ATC major. They are still cranking out students, and most are double majoring in aviation as primary or backup fields. The ones who graduated 1-2 and 3 years ago are the ones hurting. The FAA has a mandatory time period from when you graduate or apply until you take a job. (2 years) After 2 years your done and cannot get another shot. Dumb rule if you ask me.

88_MALIBU said:
I graduated last week from a college with an ATC major. They are still cranking out students, and most are double majoring in aviation as primary or backup fields. The ones who graduated 1-2 and 3 years ago are the ones hurting. The FAA has a mandatory time period from when you graduate or apply until you take a job. (2 years) After 2 years your done and cannot get another shot. Dumb rule if you ask me.
Thanks for the correction. I'd heard that since hiring had stopped, that most Colleges had stopped accepting students for the program. Dummy me, why would they stop charging tuition??

FWIW, I know John Carr mentioned the 2 year rule several times the past two days as something that needs to be addressed. Good luck Malibu and Ravengirl!
;)

Way more stressful

I remember that time I was vectoring 8 different aircraft when all of the sudden, my chair wouldn't recline at the exact same time we had a coffee pot fire and the cable TV went out in the middle of the game. It wouldn't have been so bad, but I was on the landline to Dominoes ordering the double double at the same time I had my cell out to check why the temp in the building had dropped to 72 degrees in the middle of my shift ! All the while, some punka$$ pilot was trying to tell ME that he needed priority because he had a minor malfunction involving some kind of hydraulic leak with an engine fire. Bet he was glad he was up there and I was down here to handle the REAL emergency !

Latest resources

Back