Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
Originally Posted by acaTerry
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.

LMFAO! Terry seriously needs to lighten the fak up. He's the single biggest anal buzzkill on this forum ... and that's saying something.

Danger Will Robinson. I mentioned a while back about a FAM who accused one of our captains of being drunk. Like the TSA, these guys have their own agendas and are NOT your good buddies.

That said, "neverending coach deadhead" is apt. I'd use that gun on myself after a week. I cannot imagine the tedium. No thanks, they're welcome to their $48K or for that matter, I wouldn't do it for $100K.

From the opm website:

VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Agency Name: Dept of Homeland Security

Vacancy Announcement Number: FAMS-FLD-05-0002

Apply Online: Click Here to
Apply to This Vacancy

Opening Date: 07/02/2005

Closing Date: 07/02/2006

Area of Consideration: US citizens - All applicants who applied under any
previous Federal Air Marshal announcement must reapply under this vacancy
announcement to be considered.

Position Title, Series, Pay Band: Federal Air Marshal, SV-1801-G/H/I
Category: Technical
Career Level: 1/2/3

Salary: $36,400.00 - $83,900.00 Annual

Duty Location(s): Nationwide

Work Schedule: Full Time

Time Limit: Permanent - No time limit

PurpleInMEM said:
Salary: $36,400.00 - $83,900.00 Annual

That does not include LEAP and locality pay. LEAP is 25% of base salary. Locality pay depends on the cost of living in that location.

There is no choice in domicile when you start as a FAM...you go where they need you. Getting to other domiciles is not done by a seniority based system, either.

Prior to 9/11, the FAM program was one of the closest held secrets we had- there were less than 100 of them total. They were trained better than the Secret Service- some of the best handgunners in the world. It was a very tough and greuling experience.

AFTER 9/11, the position exploded- literally hundreds were added almost overnight. The quality of training went down dramatically, but they´re still DAMN good shots.

The other misconception is that they ride coach all day long. This isn´t true. They´re just as likely to ride up in First or Buisness as they are in coach. Usually working in pairs, one sits in the back somewhere, and the other sits up front somewhere. And I´ve seen them while jumpseating mainline wearing anything from a wifebeater or Harley tshirt with a mullet to a buisness suit. Bottom line is, unless you know what to look for, chances are you have no idea the slob sitting next to you is actually a highly trained federal agent.

Latest resources

Back