Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AIR FORCE Facing Severe Pilot Shortage...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Would this have anything to do with that shortage ? Just asking...not telling. Thought the numbers were interesting:

"The history of UAS in American airspace has yet to be written. But integration of unmanned aircraft into the U.S. national airspace system is scheduled to begin in 2015. One thing is clear. UAS pilots will be a slightly different breed, but if Palmer's opinion proves true, they will still be pilots. And they may give up their time aloft quite willingly. An internal Air Force study highlighted recently by NBC news notes that of 244 undergraduates allowed to pick any career in the Air Force, one quarter elected to sign on as drone pilots. More to the point, of 487 fighter and bomber pilots assigned to three years drone duty, more than 410 elected to continue their careers as drone pilots when the three years were up. We don't yet know how those patterns will translate to commercial aviation. But with 2015 looming, we're about to find out."

http://www.avweb.com/news/avtraining/drone_pilot_training_forecast_uas_208586-1.html

My question is how many young men and women have they TURNED DOWN in the past couple of years....

My son was non scholarship ROTC at UTSA which I believe is the number one unit in the country .... Flight slots were cut and few received. I am thinking this is a recent change in plans so we'll see about re-applying for a slot.

Interesting. Until they start giving age waivers I won't believe there is any shortage.

Agree. If they don't want you because you're over 28, how can they call it a "pilot shortage"?

They are talking experienced military pilots that they have already vetted and paid for their training over the years...

Agree. If they don't want you because you're over 28, how can they call it a "pilot shortage"?

Especially when your AFOQT scores are top of the scale and you already have a degree...seems like a no brainer. But you have to be the only candidate that meets the qualifcations in order to get an age waiver, so this implies there are other, qualified candidates that do not need an age waiver. Ergo, no shortage.

Latest resources

Back