Age limitation for 91K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have 23 yrs before I reach the age of 65,
But If I'm 65 and can still pass a medical and I still have the ability to fly.
I will be fishing, screw the flying as a job "Enjoy Life"

Since you can tell the future, I just wondered where I will be?

This type thread comes up from time to time and you get the same old comments.

When I was your age I had 2 year + tours overseas coming?

Damn! Didn't see that coming?

My plan is to be "wetting worms" at 65 as well. I hope we both make it that far, and, are financially secure enough to carry out our mission!

Good luck to you all.

Take care, Semore

P.S. Just bought a Vette, some guy tried to explain to me which were Stingrays and which weren't.

(Gonna refurb it and try to make a buck or 2 off it)

No I cant predict the future. Hopefully my finances will be where I hope, so I can retire by then. Being in this business that we are, there are so many things we miss in life. Hopefully by then I will be flying piper cubs around to get my flying needs filled "if any are still left". Though I do like my job.

We all have seen and continue to see guys who fly well beyond that age, "That is their choice and it should stay that way". I cant tell anyone whats right for them only they can, but I have met quite a few guys who have a vary substantial retirement in the 7 figures+ 4 to 5 times over and more in some cases and continue to fly past 65. That is their choice.

But for me If I had the funds at 60 these guys have now. I will be fishing or enjoying some other things we can do, that we can'T being on the road for 1/2 the year.

Semore maybe someday we can go fishing. Somehow I think I may know you.

P.S. I already have my vette its sweet. Though the way i got it sucked

Last edited:
Well said Sir, heres a little more news for the "infinitely wise young".

One does not have to be old to be wise. Likewise, wisdom does not come with age for all. Don't worry, Semore, I'm not referring to you. :p

Having said that, this new legislation is MUCH more of a threat to ALL of us. Please call your representatives and tell them to stop this over-reaching piece of crap legislation. Good luck getting them to listen.

Probably a minority view but here goes....

NJA is changing over to 121 training. I believe it's only a matter of time before they lobby for a mandatory retirement age that coincides with 121 operations. Age 65

I'm a lot closer to 65 than 35 and I must say that I'm for the mandatory age. It doesn't bode well for us when there are some guys that are getting into cockpits that resemble the walking dead, just because some quack signs off on their medical.

With a mandatory retirement age in hand it would force our NJA Union leadership to fight for a change to the CBA, that would include some type of retirement package. I like the idea of 60% pay for x amount of months based on longevity. Perhaps 1 year of benefits and pay for every 10 years of service.

It would force employees to plan for a finite career. How often do we hear horror stories about guys that can't afford to retire?

Age 65 bring it on. FYI my goal is to be done at 62, but if a package was available to me at 65 I might force myself to go a bit further.

NJA is changing over to 121 training. I believe it's only a matter of time before they lobby for a mandatory retirement age that coincides with 121 operations. Age 65

What does one have to do with the other? Us going to 121-type recurrent training doesn't mean we're going to go with 121 retirement age, any more than we'd go with 121 ETOPS rules or 121 duty and rest rules.

Not debating whether it's a good or bad idea -- just that it's completely unrelated to recurrent training.

What does one have to do with the other? Us going to 121-type recurrent training doesn't mean we're going to go with 121 retirement age, any more than we'd go with 121 ETOPS rules or 121 duty and rest rules.

Not debating whether it's a good or bad idea -- just that it's completely unrelated to recurrent training.

Exactamundo. We've been using the 121 training plan for two years and we still have a bunch of guys over 65 flying for us (even after the early out). It will take a new FAA regulation or Congressional action to change our retirement age policy.

From my observation something should be done.

Say a guy, great pilot, comes down with Alzheimer's? What's the mechanism to get him out of the cockpit? Medical? Nope...they only check physical health, not mental health. Checkrides? Sounds good but the guy who has it is old and very probably senior with connections. Check airmen might be reluctant to end a guys career. A guy who they themselves hold in high regard.

Set an age, make it reasonable, adjust the pay and retirement, and stop bitchin.

The above is just an opinion. It's mine and to argue with it marks you as a person with Alzheimer's.

Actually all you need do is follow the M&Ms.

If you think the early outs were designed to save jobs I have some land on the moon I would love to sell you. It was about MANAGEMENTS concern about the age of some guys that seemed as though they would never leave. It was an OPPORTUNITY to rid themselves of some older guys.

Management is extremely concerned with older guys. Now it would be ILLEGAL to force people out but the writing is on the wall. Honestly they have a valid concern.

We've all flown with guys that fail to realize their performance is no longer what it was. With the on demand nature of our business, the rest cycles alone are brutal. I'm not there yet but each year it becomes physically more difficult to recover from screwed up sleep cycles. What I find scary is those that are oldest I fly with, are the last ones to admit they are exhausted. Can anyone explain that phenomena to me? I sum it up as they feel that it would be a mark against their age if they began calling in fatigued.

It wont happen soon but the day will come when you have a finite career in the Professional world and with good reason. Sleeping across the entire country, failing to preflight, extremely poor vision at night have been some of the latest issues that have been brought to light on some of our senior citizen pilots. Fortunately for them the Union is so strong that nothing can be done.

It's too bad that peers have to make decisions for a few of their own. I've called in fatigued when guys I was flying with refused to. I drew the line and said "I" was fatigued. Funny even after I did they refused to admit they were tired.

What this means to me is I will pull the plug myself when the time comes. I wouldn't appreciate being around one day longer than my peers thought I should. I left the military for that exact reason. I knew when I was done and no longer able to perform to the standards I had always set.... Glad I didn't wait for someone else to make the decision for me.

From my observation something should be done. Say a guy, great pilot, comes down with Alzheimer's? What's the mechanism to get him out of the cockpit? Medical? Nope...they only check physical health, not mental health. QUOTE]
Guess I'll have to cop to Alzheimer's. Nah......

Alzheimer's is a neurological syndrome, not a mental health issue.

The "quack" that does my FAA medical exams actually tests for neurological impairment. The markers that point toward Alzheimer's ctually show up long before the commonly accepted symptoms and eventual impairment.

Latest resources

Back