• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AGE 60 passes Senate today..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Welcome to the "me" generation. You are a member.
Where do you get the idea that you were owed some career and that some geezer is now taking what is yours. You are the exact same self-serving as the over-60 proponents. Stop fooling yourself.

Where do you get the idea these guys deserve this change? Ninety percent of present and past pilot generations are being asked to uniquely fund some old basturd's immediate retirement needs?! WTF!?

This generation of old guys pushing this belong to the worst generation ever. Not in our history has a single generation taken more and given less. Politically, socio-economically, environmentally...you name it. And they aren't done.

What a bunch of cry babies, you'd think somebody pulled out your sugar tit.

How can anyone lose $400,000.00 they haven't made yet? Who guaranteed you will even be alive when you are 40 or for that matter tomorrow?

How can you complain about working to 65 when most of the population has been doing it for several centuries?

Be grateful for what you have today. Tomorrow you could be driving a cab.

Now shut up and go to work, support dem ole folks, it's de American way. And remember the ones still working are paying too, let them work to 100 if they want.

Where do you get the idea these guys deserve this change? Ninety percent of present and past pilot generations are being asked to uniquely fund some old basturd's immediate retirement needs?! WTF!?

This generation of old guys pushing this belong to the worst generation ever. Not in our history has a single generation taken more and given less. Politically, socio-economically, environmentally...you name it. And they aren't done.

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. I can't think of one thing that the baby boomers have added positively to the human race. Opps, I forgot about that nectar of the gods Zima.

Last edited:
Don't hold your breath...gen X and Y will only have time to clean up the abominable mess left by "The Worst Generation"

What a bunch of cry babies, you'd think somebody pulled out your sugar tit.

How can anyone lose $400,000.00 they haven't made yet? Who guaranteed you will even be alive when you are 40 or for that matter tomorrow?

How can you complain about working to 65 when most of the population has been doing it for several centuries?

Be grateful for what you have today. Tomorrow you could be driving a cab.

Now shut up and go to work, support dem ole folks, it's de American way. And remember the ones still working are paying too, let them work to 100 if they want.

You're pegging the BS meter.

I work at CAL and I can promise you I've heard seniority aggression rationalized and explained away a thousand times. That's what this is: seniority aggression.

You've said it yourself: People have been working years and years past age 60. These pilots could do the same thing, couldn't they? Go fly elsewhere, for some new operation or overseas. Or what about that side business or talent you've developed for yourself? Why should these guys be able to strike from consideration the possibility they need another career? Nearly EVERY junior pilot I know has a side job.

You talk about the sugar tit????

Bullsh!t! You can't get weaned off something you've never had a taste of.

Well let's say that theoretically, X cargo company retires all aircraft that require an FE. What would happen with all those guys over 60 (under 65) who are working the panel?

I'm assuming you're asking this after the retirement age would be raised to 65. First of all the guys that would want their left seat back would have already made the move. Any that were not qualified to do so would retire.

This happened at TWA (and all carriers that retired their last 3 pilot airplane). I flew Captain on the last day we flew the 727. The F/E was 62 and it was his last flight (DTW - STL). On that last leg I looked back and there were tears streaming down his face.

Look where the curve gets steep:

Your future.

Just curious, where did you find that graph?
I just flew with a guy who did extensive research on average lifespan of pilots - he found that the average airline pilot's lifespan is 4 years shorter than the national average - and the average cargo pilot's lifespan was 8 years shorter than a typical passenger airline pilot. That is 12 years off right there for cargo guys. I don't know how accurate that is, but it seems that constantly shifting your
circadian cycle doesn't do a body good.
Anyone else have any info on this?

Latest resources

Back