• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 in Corporate Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flly with a retired airline pilot and he is similar to the comment about not being able to trouble shoot an audio panel. The other night he gets the flashlight out to read the FMS. After about 10 minutes of observing this idiot, I ask him "why don't you turn the lights on". He looks like a deer in the headlights and I reach over and turn the panel lights on. "Thanks", he says. The company makes this guy a co-captain, but he can't figure out how much fuel the airplane holds.

I'm not for auto-retire at 60, but there needs to be a way for evaluating.

Let's be honest here, no two individuals are the same and over the course of 60 years people's skill level's tend to decline at different rates. The problem for mgt is twp fold: how to determine when that individual can no longer preform to the level expected. Then the even harder question is, what can you do with them?

If a person passes a first class medical every 6 months the FAA has deemed them fit to a certain level. Does your company want to impose higher standards across the board? I have worked for flt departments that have used a modified nasa physical. Running on the tred mill with a continuious increase in grade all while have more electrodes hooked to you then a porcupine has quills.

If a person can pass a FSI check then they are assumed to be capable to serve as PIC. Your company has the right to set training programs with FSI. I worked for a flt department that would not allow FSI to let you train for the emergency first. Ex. today we do Hyd, and Elect so you expect to get hyd and elect failures. Not at this place, first day could be V1 cuts or single eng raw data NDB (and yes they are a big depart with G4'and G5's).

If mgt was looking to get rid of someone the sim ride was flown with a company check airman and video taped. If the guy passed great if not, he was offered the "package". You will be glad to know the CP was fired and the place has done a 180 but my point is: the combination of the NASA flt physical and the check ride from Hel are both tools that I have seen used in the past.

A blanket age 60 rule is not the answer. heck if I could do it I would go out at 55 but with one more on the way this summer, that's not going to happen. Their is no answer. Your current CEO and Aviation director will set the policy of the week.

It might help if companys went back to the policy of making it attractive to retire.

Offer the older guys attractive packages and take care of them. It allows then some security and allows the department to grow some younger folks, new blood.

Unfortunatly this seems rare anymore and many older guys may hang on simply because they have to.

Gulfstream 200 said:
It might help if companys went back to the policy of making it attractive to retire.

Offer the older guys attractive packages and take care of them. It allows then some security and allows the department to grow some younger folks, new blood.

Unfortunatly this seems rare anymore and many older guys may hang on simply because they have to.

of course this is the very best idea and it is also correct. :)

I know of a very prominate well followed flight department that 3 of their 4 guys are over 57 with 1 over 63. I have personally flown with 2 of them and they do a great job.

Just a matter of the person.

The FSI senerio of passing check rides is bogus because I do not know anyone who not passed a recurrent 91. I believe FSI is scared to death of this when come dealing with guys over 60.

sydeseet said:
The "age 60 rule" has become a hot topic lately with a survey from ALPA making the rounds. This makes me curious if any corporate operators big or small require their pilots to retire at a preset age.

Anyone?

Regardless of what some folks have posted above about some corporations "requiring" an age 60 retirement. I don't believe that is the case. Age is a protected class from discriminatory practices. And right now 121 carriers are the only companies allowed to discriminate at this age for pilots (excluding FE's).

If companies like those mentioned above actually have this policy in place I would be very surprised...since it's illegal.

What has been my experience in talking with some folks locally that work for some very prominent flight departments, is that as a pilot approches 60 they are offered a package that will take them several more years out in age. This is a big fat bone to intice retirement. They are, however, under no obligation to take it.

Most companies that operate this way will structure their compensation and retirement plans where there would be no financial advantage to working longer.

As a result, most retire.

ultrarunner said:
Regardless of what some folks have posted above about some corporations "requiring" an age 60 retirement. I don't believe that is the case. Age is a protected class from discriminatory practices. And right now 121 carriers are the only companies allowed to discriminate at this age for pilots (excluding FE's).

If companies like those mentioned above actually have this policy in place I would be very surprised...since it's illegal.

What has been my experience in talking with some folks locally that work for some very prominent flight departments, is that as a pilot approches 60 they are offered a package that will take them several more years out in age. This is a big fat bone to intice retirement. They are, however, under no obligation to take it.

Most companies that operate this way will structure their compensation and retirement plans where there would be no financial advantage to working longer.

As a result, most retire.

Most companies that implement retirement age's do it thru lawyers. I know for a fact that one company has a retirement age of 62. It really isn't manditory but, If you retire at that age you get a very nice package. If you dont leave at that age, you get nothing. Just like you said.

Besides when I get to that age, if they offer me that type of package..I'm all over it. If I am in good physical condition then I will use my retirement to my advantage.

G100driver said:
I know of a very prominate well followed flight department that 3 of their 4 guys are over 57 with 1 over 63. I have personally flown with 2 of them and they do a great job.

Just a matter of the person.

The FSI senerio of passing check rides is bogus because I do not know anyone who not passed a recurrent 91. I believe FSI is scared to death of this when come dealing with guys over 60.

Hmmmmm...could it be ???? ;)

Latest resources

Back