Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sydeseet

Huge Member
The "age 60 rule" has become a hot topic lately with a survey from ALPA making the rounds. This makes me curious if any corporate operators big or small require their pilots to retire at a preset age.

Anyone?

a mixed bag...there are few that still do, but most probably don't. those that still do will probably change in the coming years. :)

Im all for it.

Get the crust out.

:) .

Let the pilot, not the regulators, decide when they retire. If a pilot can hold their medical and remain skillful, I welcome their experience...be it corporate or airline.

2000Flyer

I know that Conoco/Phillips retires their guys at age 60.

They typically retire them at age 58, then give them 2 years of pay to compensate them to age 60.

2000flyer said:
Let the pilot, not the regulators, decide when they retire. If a pilot can hold their medical and remain skillful, I welcome their experience...be it corporate or airline.

2000Flyer

In theory that is a good idea but in practice I don't think it works. That assumes that a PILOT knows and is willing to except what is best for him and his co-workers. There is a discussion on the general board about the Houston GIII that gets into the psychology of the "Go Around". The question is asked about being inside the FAF and something doesn't seem right but the pilots press the issue thinking that their superior skill will save the day.

Most pilots are type A and don't want to except that their skills are deteriorating or that they are slowing down. I think the biggest issue is technology. It's usually the older guys that fly the Gulfstreams and Globals based on their years of experience. Sometimes all the gadgets are not a good fit. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean every pilot over 60 is a mishap waiting to happen.

I had a sim partner at GLEX recurrent that was close to 60 and was a CP as well. He was scary. Always way behind in either seat.

Many public companies won't have a set rule due to age discrimination lawsuits but will make it to your benefit to leave at a certain age.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Hog

I fly with two guys over 60, both retired airline pilots. One is sharp as a razor, the other can't even trouble shoot an audio panel when he can't transmit. I suspect the second is honestly in early alzheimers. So it is really a mixed bag and up to guys giving check rides to scrutinize. Look at Chuck Yeager and Bob Hoover. It is an individual issue, with no blanket age making a whole lot of sense.

Out of 10 pilots in the department, 6 are age 60 or over! And I would happily put my life into anyone of their able hands! The oldest is 68 (he looks like he's 51), and is as with it as people 25 years his junior. It all depends on the individual, you can't say that at a certain age an individual goes from being an able and treasured asset to a has-been.

PMVULB AvMgr said:
Out of 10 pilots in the department, 6 are age 60 or over! And I would happily put my life into anyone of their able hands! The oldest is 68 (he looks like he's 51), and is as with it as people 25 years his junior. It all depends on the individual, you can't say that at a certain age an individual goes from being an able and treasured asset to a has-been.

my emphasis...

And therein lies the problem for which their are two solutions. Apply an arbitrary but consistent standard, ie. the airline age 60 rule or establish objective and/or subjective testing which begins at some equally arbitrary moment in time.

The problem is magnified by the fact we are not plumbers and our errors can be costly. Nor can we be legitimately expected to self police. In the case of dementia driven loss of skill, the pilot may be the last to know or the least willing to acknowledge.

There are clear examples of pilots well past 60 or 65 or 70 with skills undiminished and there are 30 year old pilots who otta be plumbing toilets. So the question seems....do you want to establish an arbitrary age or depend upon the potentially arbitrary determination of some medical practicioner (who labors under no such constraint)?

No answers here Boy's, just this same old pile of questions.

ConocoPhillips canceled the age 60 retirement. No more 2 years pay. I think DuPont is the only company with this option anymore.

Latest resources

Back