ADIZ moves ashore

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tarp

Woke up this morning and thought the coffee wasn't working when the TV news reported that a new Defense Identification Zone was created over Washington DC this weekend for the Code "Orange".

Sure enough, checked out AOPA and we now have mandatory flight plans, beacon codes, etc for the 23 airports and approximately 2800 sq miles surrounding the White House.

DCA is again closed to ALL Part 91 flights. The DC-3 (airports within 15nm of the Washington Monument) have a screwy procedure where the pilots have to land at Lee-Annapolis Airport then continue their trip.

Although my airplane is technically liberated from all this ... (words that convey my disgust), I know that all the trainers (read employed CFI's) at JYO, GAI, FME, ANP, MTN and W29 are basically dead in the water. For the poor guys at GAI, I really feel for you - the closest airport to 3 of the richest counties in the U.S. (read good student base) and they now have a 20 minute flight just to find a practice area. Let's see how many of your students would pay you $80 just to fly back and forth to an airport where you can do touch and go's.

Yep, I'm sure this 30nm mile circle will do lots to protect all the people in "unspecified" targets most likely hotels and apartments. Oh wait! This doesn't protect THOSE targets, it only protects politicians and Homeland Security personnel sitting at their desks in DC. Now I get it!

Be careful what you say, lest you be designated a "security threat" and get your tickets pulled.

wow, that's pretty much the entire central MD...looks like DMW's gonna get all the training business if this veil holds up, especially with MTN being in the "circle"

Funny but true....watch out....some TSA guy will show up at your hangar.....wand you down....feel you up...take your leatherman and scissors away and suspend your tickets....you you threat to national security you gereral aviation pilot you.

I may pay my bills as a 121 pilot but my hart and sole are GA all the way. Every time I pass over college park and the others while goin in and out of DCA I feel sick. Especially CGS. That area is one of the worlds "cradles of aviation" and some people who have no idea have got it almost shut down.

Its been said before but needs to be repeated .... our best defence against this is AOPA. Join or renew if needed these guys really do a great job protecting ALL PILOTS (this includes GA, CORP, AIRLINE, CARGO and MIL ect) from these idiots. I give the AOPA boyz alot more credit than the bozos at ALPA. O If I could only divert my dues money.

Just read about a guy on our company board that said the TSA wanted to take his REQUIRED Mag Light from his flight case. The pilot was in uniform and going to work but the screener was concerned the flash light could be used as a blunt weapon. eventualy the screener told him he'd let him go through "this time."

This is getting out of control.

S.

DC ADIZ

The Notam establishing the procedures for this ADIZ is far from clear as to how pilots should operate. For example, if I'm flying into Manassas, a Class D airport wholly inside the ADIZ, from outside the ADIZ, do I need to first contact approach control for a clearance, or if I contacted Manassas tower from outside the ADIZ, can they clear me in even though I'll be flying under the Class B floor to reach the Class D airspace?

If I depart Manassas on a VFR flight plan, do I have to contact Leesburg Radio to open the flight plan after takeoff? If so, won't this put me out of contact with ATC? What about in a 152 with one radio?

I'm willing to bet that the people who wrote this NOTAM have not coordinated sufficiently with FAA Air Traffic to ensure that there are now sufficient controllers to handle all of the increased workload this will generate on ATC.

This is going to be a f*cking mess and is going to destroy GA in the DC area.

And another thing about this crazy ADIZ...

If I want to do pattern work at a non-towered field, such as Montomery Co. Airpark/Gaithersburg, will FSS accept a flight plan for pattern work? Who will assign me the squack code for my transponder? Am I supposed to be communicating with ATC approach control while trying to announce my intentions and listen for traffic in the pattern? This is nuts!

Re: TSA

merikeyegro said:
God bless America. Can we be American and vote these bastards out? PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!? November 2004 won't arrive fast enough. We'll all be out of work by then. Best of luck to all you in DC. This is outrageous.
The TSA has been "given life", much like the State Department, EPA, FAA, FCC, etc, etc... These large bureacracies don't necessarily follow the direction of the President (e.g., the State Department). They are like a bad sci fi show where a computer or robot develops a conscious and starts acting in it's own best interest, despite the commands of their creator/director.

IMO, there's no good way to stop them other than pulling their funding. And that being the case, booting Bush out may be the best course of action.

The thing that drives me absolutely mad is knowing that people wanting to commit crimes couldn't care less about obeying the law. We've got to start protecting the borders and keeping the people out who want to kill us.

Send $5 to AOPA. If everyone did this, maybe we'd have a chance. They seem to be our only hope...
Amen! happy flying, while we still can

I can't believe there is so much bitching about this ADIZ. I am a instructor at an airport under the new expanded ADIZ. Frankly, I couldn't be happier. A lot of us thought we would be shut down completely for Part 91 ops. In my opinion, this ADIZ establishes a need for security but does not take all our flying away.

Thanks to the TSA for not getting crazy.

generaltso said:
In my opinion, this ADIZ establishes a need for security but does not take all our flying away.

Thanks to the TSA for not getting crazy. [/B]
I appreciate your view that this is a moderate act, but it's just another chunk torn out of our freedom.

The terrorists win with every restrictive action taken by our government against the law abiding citizens.

The leaders of this country don't have the stomach nor the desire to do what it takes to assure safe borders and rid us of illegal aliens. So they continue to take the easy way out, eroding the freedoms of the law abiding citizens in order to prop up the perception that they're protecting us.

Latest resources

Back