acid reflux and airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you everyone for your input here.

I wasn't very specific in my initial posting. Actually, I've never done anything about the problem except Rolaids, Zantac, and that Prilosec OTC stuff. The label on the Prilosec says you take it for 14 days, and then not again for at least 4 months. It warns that if you need it again before 4 months you should seek medical attention. It worked great for the 14! Day 15 I needed something again, and that's when I realized something needs to be done.

I've not seen anybody about it because of my fear of losing my medical, and the possibility of watching my dreams and thousands of dollars go down the tubes. I'm convinced now I need to see somebody, and possibly have an upper GI done.

This gets worse even. Last December I had surgery to fix my throat because of a sleep apnea problem. My medical was to expire in January, and so I had to 'fess up about the diagnosis and surgery in January. The AME gave me a class I, but I was supposed to have a follow-up sleep study done 3 months after surgery, and then have the results sent to the FAA. I didn't have the sleep study done, because my problem is definitely fixed, and I wanted to save about $2000 on the sleep study (for multi time). Am I just screwing up here by not following thru on the sleep study?

I really want to make this career change, but I feel like I'm about to walk thru a minefield with the FAA. Oh I know, they're here to help me.

Thanks again for the input. These are excellent posts. Blue skies and cast iron stomachs to you all.

airline mission said:
The label on the Prilosec says you take it for 14 days, and then not again for at least 4 months. It warns that if you need it again before 4 months you should seek medical attention.
Forget about flying, forget about the sleep study, forget about reading another post - - get a phonebook and find a doc, get the Upper GI done YESTERDAY.

There's a reason the label says that - - it's a matter of
LIFE or DEATH!

Please go now.

Sleep study next, and then flying. But now, get your stomach fixed.

Don't make me start telling stories.

airline mission,

Do one thing at a time my friend, there is absolutely no need to make a conclusion based on opinion from this board. In most cases the cause is gastroesophageal reflux (GERD), errosive esophagitis, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, or something else a long those lines that can be solved with medication. . Most likely the doctor is not going to order that you have an upper gi done until you first give medication a try which in most cases will solve this problem. Prevacid, Nexium (the "purple pill"), are two of the more popular medications that seem to be prescribed the most to treat this problem. Depending on the severity of your situation the dosage will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20mg to 40mg per pill. Prevacid is a pump inhibitor (PPI) that seems to work well in most cases as well as Nexium , problem with Nexium is that it seems to cause headaches which is one of the most common side effects so you may want to try Prevacid initially. If it is indeed something more serious than the above mentioned condition(s) then you will most likely have other more painful symptoms that would raise a red flag.

A person suffering from the above must monitor the diet, this is very important. Cut out all milk, nuts, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, and any other food that may disturb and bother the stomach and cause this problem.

If the medication is not working then the doctor will order the upper gi and possibly other tests to determine the problem, causes, etc.

Take one step at a time....

3 5 0

GREAT info! Sounds like Prevacid is in my very near future. I'm going to see a doctor early next week.

I'm the optimist though, so I can't help but asking...what's next? I would really appreciate good input about the sleep apnea problem. The AME told the FAA about my sleep apnea and the surgery to correct it. He got a letter from my surgeon that basically said that the results of the procedure appear to be very positive. Because the surgeon recommended a follow-up sleep study for proof of success, the AME told the FAA that a report of the sleep study would be coming 3 months after surgery. So here's the question. If I didn't do the sleep study, would the situation just.....go away, as far as the FAA is concerned? What about airline interviews? Would the letter the surgeon sent be enough to help me get hired, or would the airlines just hire the other guy and leave me to my medical past? I'd love to put that $2000+ to use on flying, instead of doing a study to prove what I already know! But if there's just no way around it, then I want to get on with it.

I'm impressed that there were so many good posts to my questions. It's great to see pilots willing to help out another pilot. Thanks!

350DRIVER said:
airline mission,

Do one thing at a time my friend, there is absolutely no need to make a conclusion based on opinion from this board.
Absolutely right - - see a doc. Now, even if it's my opinion that you should see a doc, you should STILL see a doc.

350DRIVER said:
If it is indeed something more serious than the above mentioned condition(s) then you will most likely have other more painful symptoms that would raise a red flag.
Except for the post-op pain (my Dad had most of his esophagus and some of his stomach removed to try to get rid of the cancer), the only pain was chronic heartburn.

Medicating to stop the pain will provide no information about what damage has already occurred. Scoping can provide information in the form of pictures and biopsies.

350DRIVER said:
Take one step at a time....
STEP ONE: Get the scope.

I admit I'm sensitive to this issue - - I watched my Dad die from what he characterized as heartburn. He watched his diet, didn't sleep for an hour or so after eating dinner; he mixed baking soda in water for temporary relief - same effect as Alka-Seltzer, but lots cheaper. One day he had difficulty swallowing a bite of steak, 3 months later he was gone.

Don't take it lightly.

Just my opinion, and I won't belabor it any more.

Latest resources

Back