acid reflux and airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airline mission

Let's say someone has an acid reflux problem. Let's even say, someone goes thru LOTS of Rolaids, Zantac, whatever, and nothing seems to fix the problem. Let's further say, someone has to seek medical advice/treatment and goes on something like the 'purple pill', or similar medication to control said acid reflux problem. What does this do to a potential airline career if said acid-reflux-plagued person is just reaching the minimums for regional airline, freight, or corporate positions? Is it a temporary setback depending on success of treatment? Or is it an automatic disqualification? Will it keep said pilot from being hired, or even possibly cost the pilot a medical certificate?

If you know the in's and out's of these questions, please respond while I chew on another chalky tablet........

As long as you can pass the medical-class 1-you should be ok for regional, cargo, and corporate. Many of these companies do not have their own company physical. As for the "purple pill" it may be on the acceptable list of drugs-of course consult a AME. New drugs on the market are not usually acceptable because no one knows any longer or long term effects.

First, if you really are as bad off as you sound, I'm glad you've done it right and gone to a doctor for meds. Beyond being a pain in the @ss (and stomach), that problem is also deadly. It will kill you if left untreated or treated only by OTC medicine.

Second, I've never heard of this condition being disqualifying. I think the ones on the hit list are the medical problems that can leave you incapacitated, i.e. heart or BP problems etc.

I think you should stay on the prescription meds and report it. I don't believe it's a big deal at all. Anyone else?

From AOPA's site:

FAA Recertification Procedure for Gastrointestinal Disorders

[size=+2]T[/size]he FAA allows certification for many common gastrointestinal diagnoses that can be documented as stable and well controlled. Included among this group of disorders are gastric ulcer disease, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), esophagitis, hepatitis, and the inflammatory bowel diseases that include colitis, regional enteritis, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and Crohn's disease.

According to the peptic ulcer protocol contained in the FAA's Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners, persons who have had an active ulcer must show at least three months of stability without symptoms. If the ulcer involved bleeding, six months of stability is needed. Evidence of healing must be verified by a report from the treating physician that includes:

1. Confirmation that the applicant is symptom-free.
  2. Radiographic or endoscopic evidence that the ulcer is healed.
  3. Type, dosage, and frequency of medication used. The use of any medications other than simple antacids and/or sucralfate medications, such as Carafate, for immediate and maintenance therapy of the ulcer may be disqualifying.
A history of bleeding ulcers usually requires interim status reports at six- to 12-month intervals following initial recertification.

Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases including regional enteritis (Crohn's disease), ulcerative colitis, or any diagnosis in this group of diseases, require full medical documentation before a certification decision can be made. If surgery is required, especially for enteritis, three to six months of stabilized recovery is recommended before applying for a medical certificate. Corticosteroids (prednisone), commonly prescribed for acute Crohn's disease, may be approved in dosages not exceeding 20mg. daily.

Gastroesophageal reflux, also known as GERD, is a condition that occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter located between the lower esophagus and the stomach fails to close after swallowing or opens at times when it shouldn't. When this happens, it allows stomach acid to pass into the esophagus and lungs causing a burning sensation ("heartburn") and other symptoms, including chest pains that often mimics angina, the chest pain associated with a possible heart attack.

The cause of the sphincter weakness isn't fully understood. However, certain medications, foods, and medical conditions add to the problem. The treatment for GERD ranges from life-style changes, weight reduction, medication, and, in severe cases, surgery.

The most commonly prescribed medications include Tagamet, Zantac, Pepcid, Axid, Prilosec, Aciphex, and Nexium. The FAA allows all these. At the time of your medical application renewal, you will need a current status letter from your treating physician summarizing the medication history, the dosage, frequency, and absence of side effects. If surgery is necessary, complete hospital records along with a current status report will be necessary.

If you have not previously applied for medical certification, make copies of all records for yourself and provide the completed testing to your aviation medical examiner at the time of your FAA physical examination. If the history requires that the AME defer your application, he/she will send the paperwork for you to the FAA.

If this is a renewal of medical certification and the FAA requires that you submit the records for review before your next FAA physical examination, send the records yourself to the FAA at the address below before visiting the AME. Use express courier service, either overnight or 2-3 day delivery via FedEx, UPS, or Airborne. It will normally take 90-120 days before you receive a response. Each case is evaluated on an individual basis, however, and significantly longer delays can occur, depending on the case history. If any of the required information is left out, it will take longer for the FAA to reach a decision.

When the FAA approves your case, you will receive an authorization letter instructing the AME to issue your certificate if you are found otherwise qualified.

If you need to contact the FAA, use this address and phone number.

Aerospace Medical Certification Division
(AAM-300)
FAA Civil Aerospace Medical Institute
6700 South MacArthur Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73169

Telephone 800/350-5286

4/04

Hey, looky there! Don't I feel stupid! Good post, JRX7. It was an education for me. I also found www.leftseat.com to be very informative. Learn something new every day...

I havn't read all of the responses, so, I hope I don't repeat anything here. I have acid-reflux. It went for many years undectected. I had a horrible pain in my stomach and sometimes my esophagus. I found a good GI Doc in Houston who sent me for an upper GI two years ago. He found 4 areas that had to be byopsied. Thankfully the results were negative.

I was put on Nexium for a full year. When I went for my 1st class, I took all my reports and lab work to my AME. He looked over my results, asked a few Q's and issued me my medical. One thing in my favor was that my GI Doc knew I was a pilot and got me the meds that were ok with the FAA.

As was said earlier, don't mess around with this problem. I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagial. I have to go to the Doc for an upper GI every 12-18 mo's. It can lead to cancer. If that happens, keeping your medical is one of the last things you well worry about. Good Luck, 265.

airline mission said:
Let's say someone has an acid reflux problem. Let's even say, someone goes thru LOTS of Rolaids, Zantac, whatever, and nothing seems to fix the problem. Let's further say, someone has to seek medical advice/treatment and goes on something like the 'purple pill', or similar medication to control said acid reflux problem. What does this do to a potential airline career if said acid-reflux-plagued person is just reaching the minimums for regional airline, freight, or corporate positions? Is it a temporary setback depending on success of treatment? Or is it an automatic disqualification? Will it keep said pilot from being hired, or even possibly cost the pilot a medical certificate?

If you know the in's and out's of these questions, please respond while I chew on another chalky tablet........
You're still chewing on chalky tablets, and I didn't get the impression you've done much more than start the purple pill. Specifically, I did not get the impression that you've had an upper GI.

DO.

You should be more concerned, at THIS moment, about your LIFE than a career. Big Duke Six was right on the mark when he said, "that problem is also deadly. It will kill you if left untreated or treated only by OTC medicine." I had never heard of GERD or acid-reflux or purple pills or esophogeal cancer until my Dad died of it at age 59. His constant "heartburn" was obviously much more than a constant nuisance.

See a gastrointerologist immediately. If it hurts, something's wrong.

Been flying for a 121 carrier for 6 years.....been taking Prilosec or Nexium for 7. Maintained a 1st class medical and a healthy appetite the whole time.

Try Aciphex...

Used to get heartburn all the time... now, never. All prescription drugs of this nature work in slightly different ways. And I have a waiver for the Navy to fly with this stuff. It is awsome.

good luck to you "airline mission"...although I never had acid reflux, I must admit the first six months of flying 135 pax in piston twins as captain caused me to have a twitch in my right eye.

Consult your doctor and keep working on the problem...hopefully they and or you will get to the bottom of it.

Latest resources

Back