• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Top 10 things NOT to say to a cop who pulls you over

1. I cant reach my license unless you hold my beer

2. I only had one officer, Mr. Keg.

3. Aren't you one of the Village People?

4. You must've been doin about 125 mph to keep up with me! good job!

5. You'll never get those cuffs on me, you pu$sy.

6. I thought you had to be in relatively good physical condition to be a police officer

7. Didn't I see you get your ass kicked on COPS last week?

8. You're not gonna check the trunk are you?

9. Is it true that people become cops because they are too dumb to work at McDonalds?

10. I'm surprised you pulled me over, Dunkin Donuts is having a 3-for-1 special.

Last edited:
Secret Squirrel said:
I am more worried about the support in case of a incident and training. What about the guy who loses his gun. Accidental shooting.

What if this guy actually told the officer all the correct information but it was a personal conflict with an asshole cop. Who is going to bat for the FFDO?

Here is a good article
http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel070203.asp

I suppose that it all comes down to the circumstances of the shooting. Like any group of law enforcement officers out there, an FFDO that draws and fires, needs to be able to justify the use of force.

I can tell you one thing though- if I'm on the flight deck and you come through the door without me knowing it, you're gonna get shot. Repeatedly. Until you're laying on the floor. If I happen to hit the person in row 1, it sucks, but I'm prepared to defend the aircraft.

As for an incident, there hasn't been one yet, which says something about the program. In the event that an FFDO ever does discharge a weapon, I'm sure there will be a very thorough investigation. I have full faith in the program because I feel that if I ever fired legitimately, the weight of the public will carry me through. In addition I have the weight of the law on my side as well. (FFDO's that act within the jursidiction and scope of their SOP's are protected against liability by federal statute. Neither their employer or the public can take action against them as long as they were not negligent)

There are THOUSANDS of FFDOs that have been through the program and are carrying on a daily basis. Despite what the article might have said, I've seen nothing but support from the TSA and the hoops that you have to jump through to go to training aren't as bad as everybody makes them out to be. The hardest part was getting to and from NM.

Why don't you go and find an article about the program that isn't 3 years old. A LOT has changed since that article was written. For one, the program is now administered by the Federal Air Marshal Service (as opposed to being a separate entity within the TSA). As such there is much better administrative support and organization. The program runs much more efficiently and smoother than the first few classes. FLETC, is capable of handling many more than the "48" FFDOs per class that the article quotes, and additional capacity is added as needed. It's a lot more organized too in regards to the procedures, reporting, support, and processes that FFDO's follow and have available.

Rather than bash the program as an outsider, why not take the time to learn about it from some people who actually participate. Or even better, go out and take the training yourself. You might even learn a thing or two about aviation security (I know I did).

satpak77 said:
Hey don't kill the messenger, its straight from the TSA site. Repeat after me:

FFDOs will be Federal law enforcement officers only for the limited purposes of carrying firearms and using force to defend the flight deck of an aircraft from air piracy or criminal violence including lethal force.

FFDOs will not be not granted or authorized to exercise other law enforcement powers such as the power to make arrests or seek or execute warrants for arrest or seizure of evidence or to otherwise act as FFDOs outside aircraft flight decks

any problems you have interpreting that or heartburn it gives you, call TSA, not me.

flashing your FFDO creds to get out of a ticket could be interpreted as "acting as" an FFDO, or trying to.

It is what it is.

I think you may not be understanding this correctly. what the above is saying is an FFDO can not stop a bag snatcher in the airport, or anywhere else for that matter, and flash the creds and say "its ok I'm a federal officer"

Telling a cop if pulled over you have a gun and why is required. That is not impersonating a federal officer, FFDO's are federal officers, with no jurisdiction outside the cockpit.

satpak77 said:
As far as "joe blow beat cop sauntering into the federal building" usually that is not what happens anyway. Most matters which need investigation follow-up discovered by the Patrol section ("beat cop") are referred to that departments CID/Detective section, which typically has liasion with FBI, DEA, etc in that town. In simplistic terms...
...duh, you think?

Secret Squirrel said:
72 hours without charges? Good luck in real life but I think I did see that once on hill street blues.
Yea, it's true. 72 hours...you can be held, then released. No charges filed.

Hamburgler said:
I read some freaky article recently about people who impersonate cops and rape/kill - it was very scary. It said that if you are a woman getting stopped in an isolated area to slow down and put your hazards on and call 911 from a cell to see if the dispatcher knows of a cruiser trying to pull over someone with your plates. That, or drive to a populated area. Crazy you have to worry about crap like this.

That's only a federal crime if you break federal law.

Secret Squirrel said:
Pretending to be a law enforcement officer. That is what this thread is about.

That's funny, I thought the thread was about state v. federal authority.

What if the state had a warrant for this guy's arrest in another crime, a state crime that would have netted the subject the death penalty?

Do you think the state would have given up the state's prisoner to the feds over some ID card faux pas, just cause the patrolman skee-dadled over to the federal building with his police report before the chief woke up and had his first cup of coffee?

The governor would have gave the local office of the FBI the finger...and a copy of the R.O.'s police report and all the federal evidence for future reference, should the subject survived his execution.

Secret Squirrel said:
I am more worried about the support in case of a incident and training. What about the guy who loses his gun. Accidental shooting.

First let me start by saying that I think 90% of all cops are a**holes. The other 10% are striving to be a**holes.

In So Cal they had a cop shoot himself while cleaning his weapon....he died. They also had a cop shoot either himself or another cop while at the range. Not sure of details or condition. This makes me feel real safe.....NOT.

If an FFDO is only to protect the cockpit, why did the Federal Air Marshall shoot and kill the guy on the jetway? Is that part of the FAMs jurisdiction?

skiandsurf said:
If an FFDO is only to protect the cockpit, why did the Federal Air Marshall shoot and kill the guy on the jetway? Is that part of the FAMs jurisdiction?

the guy killed on the jetway posed (as interpreted by the Air Marshal) a threat to the Air Marshal's life, based on his behaviors and refusal to comply with demands.

Latest resources

Back