• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Pilot Busted for Impersonating Cop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I once flew with a captain who was an FFDO. He was proud of his ability to get the law enforcement discount at restaraunts with his FFDO creds.

Everybody says it is a great program but nobody can point out any support you guys are given as a FFDO. Who is the guy in your corner when there is a shooting, problem, mistake?

ATRCA said:
I don't think you are quite accurate here. You are an FFDO after you have been sworn in. It has nothing to do with wether or not you are transporting a weapon. You're a pilot even when you are not in an airplane. An FFDO not at work has no law enforcement rights or weapons rights that have not been granted to him by the program but nontheless he is still an FFDO, which BTW is a federal law enforcement designation.

The weapon and the cockpit are not required to call yourself an FFDO, just like a PO traveling outside their home jurisdiction is still a PO. Many PO's have fairly restricted rights outside there home jurisdiction, the same applies here.

Hey don't kill the messenger, its straight from the TSA site. Repeat after me:

FFDOs will be Federal law enforcement officers only for the limited purposes of carrying firearms and using force to defend the flight deck of an aircraft from air piracy or criminal violence including lethal force.

FFDOs will not be not granted or authorized to exercise other law enforcement powers such as the power to make arrests or seek or execute warrants for arrest or seizure of evidence or to otherwise act as FFDOs outside aircraft flight decks

any problems you have interpreting that or heartburn it gives you, call TSA, not me.

flashing your FFDO creds to get out of a ticket could be interpreted as "acting as" an FFDO, or trying to.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
ATRCA said:
Yeah, unless that Post Office is in the airport.

good point, something the lawyers at FAA and DOJ can argue over.

Post Offices in the new A-380 also fall under that gray area!

by the way, not trying to start an argument here, you have good points. However as you can see I have some of my own interpretations of the FFDO program.

take care

If you are transporting your weapon to or from work and you are pulled over by local law enforcement for a traffic infraction you are required to identify your self as a "Federal Law Enforcement Officer and that you are transporting a weapon"

If you are NOT transporting your weapon...well that is a gray area...but I do know that a PBA card from one of NY's Finest works wonders.

Secret Squirrel said:
Everybody says it is a great program but nobody can point out any support you guys are given as a FFDO. Who is the guy in your corner when there is a shooting, problem, mistake?

I've can't attest to mistakes or shootings, but I do know first hand how quickly support can come for FFDOs. I've had several issues resolved regarding jumpseating and security clearing very promptly (I went through FFDO training when the program was relatively new).

One morning departing an airport in ND as a jumpseater, there were some questions from the captain and station agents regarding whether FFDOs were permitted to jumpseat and under what circumstances (checked bags or carry on). Essentially I was going to be left behind at the captains request (and one that I was willing to abide by). I asked the captain if he would allow me onboard if he was contacted by his company with instructions/clarification, to which he replied yes. I whipped out the 800 number, and explained my situation. Within 3 minutes, the captain had received a phone call on his cell from dispatch, an ACARs message, and the station was called by their company dispatch. I was quite impressed considering it was about 530am Eastern.

That's just one example, but I can attest to the fact that support has always been prompt when I've requested it. In addition the amount of information that is provided to FFDOs on a regular basis is quite impressive.

Flyerjosh said:
That's just one example, but I can attest to the fact that support has always been prompt when I've requested it. In addition the amount of information that is provided to FFDOs on a regular basis is quite impressive.

I am more worried about the support in case of a incident and training. What about the guy who loses his gun. Accidental shooting.

What if this guy actually told the officer all the correct information but it was a personal conflict with an asshole cop. Who is going to bat for the FFDO?

Here is a good article
http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel070203.asp

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back