• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA buying A320's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My point is that capitalism in America could care less what's right or wrong, it's just the bottom line that counts. I'm not defending it, it just is what it is. I'm not bashing it either, it has many benefits too. It beats the alternative but it certainly isn't perfect.

That's not entirely true... people actually do care about quality. Look at the the tech sector... you can buy a crappy netbook or go buy an 11 inch MacBook Air. The price difference is well over 300% - same with cell phones. Capitalism and (more importantly) the Free Market have allowed us to innovate and produce amazing things - all driven by the ability to profit from innovation, which is (despite what most people believe) reinvested back into said companies to further compete in the free market. Another case in point is the p/u truck market (the age old Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge debate). Ford continues to outsell both in this market, while continuing to offer products that are 10-15% higher in price for comparable models.

As for the airlines, I've become convinced that people would pay (a bit) more for better service (the whole concept - from buying the ticket to picking up your bags at the end of a trip) as opposed to just buying the cheapest ticket on travelocity. They are hampered by at least two things - the availability of services in their market, and the perception that it doesn't matter who I fly, its all the same crappy service model.

Wave is correct, it is hard for a free market to truly and equitably compete against gov't subsidized products. Boeing's price points are higher on most offerings due to this and (yes, I'm going to say it) pi$s poor management and constrained labor factors.

The great news is that hopefully, our friends at AA are getting back into the game with a renewed focus and vigor, which is great for all of us in the long run and for the consumer who pays the bills!

Fly safe gents (and ladies!)

Dan - sorry, just re-read your post. Disregard - I was thinking of the consumer. Apologies. I could spend another few minutes replying (although I agree with some of your positions, but will always defer to an unconstrained free market) - I think I'm going to get another cup of coffee and go swim!

Cheers

Airbus is subsidized by euro govts.

That's true. Their counter-argument is that Boeing has been subsidized for decades by the U.S. government, via military contracts. International subcontracting and co-production also complicate the "subsidy" question.

Boeing preferred to bow to SWA's demands on the 737 instead of spending time building a clean-sheet design that could wipe up the Airbus. Short-term mentality.

Airbus gets 910 orders at one airshow. Is SWA really that important, Boeing?

Dan - sorry, just re-read your post. Disregard - I was thinking of the consumer. Apologies. I could spend another few minutes replying (although I agree with some of your positions, but will always defer to an unconstrained free market) - I think I'm going to get another cup of coffee and go swim!

Cheers

No worries, I'm having a cup of coffee and going for a surf (3rd day of the 1st good town swell of the summer!)
Wave, we agree on lot, your question is way to complex for an easy answer here. The whole subsidy thing could be a very slippery slope with airliners given just how truly international and multi layered the airline/airliner business is, WAAAY over my head to try and come up with a solution.
Your other point, it truly sucks what is happening to the middle class by the inherent greed of people masking it as free enterprise, in that respect we need more Government, not less. I also believe in free enterprise, you just have to look around this country to see how great our system is. But trickle down economics is a joke, it's there so a few can steal from the middle class, it doesn't work. We need government regulations to protect society.

Show how that has had the desired effect ANY time it has been tried!

The problem is that the middle class thinks and spends as if they are rich. No one will realistically admit how poor they really are. The housing collapse is proof enough for that.

Last edited:
Show how that has had the desired effect ANY time it has been tried!

The problem is that the middle class thinks and spends as if they are rich. No one will realistically admit how poor they really are. The housing collapse is proof enough for that.

^^^^^
What he said.

I just got the recall call yesterday. I am deferring but it would be nice to go back to an airplane I have been on for the last 7 years instead of a 80.
....Are you nuts? Are you really counting on hanging on "here"? .. Take care.. Joe...

Latest resources

Back