• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

757 Lands on Taxiway at EWR & Pilots Bolt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Before you guys pile on with the disparaging commentary, please consider the following:

• There is not a single blue taxiway edge light at Newark Liberty. Not a one.
  • The post-cold front circling maneuver from 04R to 29 is a very challenging maneuver, especially at night/low visibility. Toss in some fatigue, and you have an environment very conducive to human error.
Didn't I already mention this?

WOW how many times have the done that approach???

You get those gusty NW wind days in the fall/winter it will happen. They were planting everything up to size of 777's on 29 this weekend. Nothing like the scenery of Newark Bay and the Port to welcome one to the beauty of America. The frogs usually refuse it in the A-340, which makes their landings on 4R/22L not exactly look like poetry in motion.

You guys seem quick to defend such a stupid thing without knowing the facts. Things happen, however, we are talking about landing on a taxi way. I guess next time it will be ok to land on the ramp as long as no one is hurt?

How old was the Captain?

Bye Bye--General Lee

59 and 11 months. He was on his cell phone calling his senator during the short final. I read it on the 'Onion'. A very reputable news source.

You guys seem quick to defend such a stupid thing without knowing the facts. Things happen, however, we are talking about landing on a taxi way. I guess next time it will be ok to land on the ramp as long as no one is hurt?

That may save cash on gas.

Even better than that is the ILS 11 circle 29...stay over the Runway 4 at 1000' .... they call your base, chop and drop, and it looks more like a 172 pattern than a jet. You better be configured over the numbers or you will never make it.

Who cares, no blood no foul. It's not like this is the first time its ever happened. US Air (737) landed on the taxiway in DTW a few years back.

Don't know that I believe it. The NY Post isn't exactly a high quality rag, and I can't find any reference to the event on any other media outlet.

Try CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/31/missed.runway.ap/index.html

Sure, it may be conceivable that they would land on a taxiway, but how could they not notify anyone.

Tower: "Continental 757, take a left on Charile, right on Sierra...."

CO 757: "Uh, we're already on Sierra"

Could happen to any of us. Sure hope I'd have the guts to fess up.

Latest resources

Back